What's new
World Wide Stereo

SVS PB2-Plus Test and Review - Long (1 Viewer)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
javry... I already had suggested to Gordon that to balance things out better and look right that he needed another set of duals for the other corner. He doesn't seem to think so but if he likes a lopsided looking room who am I to say.. Just kidding Gordon. Still think you could get a contractor in there to give you that little extra space you need....haha

Also Javry... 36 hours.. your wife must be a jewel.. You better be careful or that baby will vibrate out of there too soon.... That would be new one for the SVS scrap book. I can see a new marketing stratagy for Ron over at SVS since he can't get Gordon to make any more moves.. Market the OBGYN's... "Hey we have a sub that not only is the best one out there for your HT but can also let you have your client's baby just alittle early.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Gordon, Gordon, Gordon
First thing I have learned about HT is never say NEVER.
This is because it will cause the brain matter activity to increase. Then the next time you slide into the HT you look, then sit down, then look again. Then comes the UHHHMMMM how would the mercury red PB2 Ultras look stacked in that corner. Then in a panic, a loud yell NANCY. Being the sweetie she is, she runs to see what Gordon could be yelling about sof rantically. Then the humble suggestion;
Honey if I sell the Ultras can I buy the PB2Ultras in Mercury red?

Then the humble one secretly sneaks over to the svs website and enters the quantity of 2. Silently he waits. then the day comes. There stacked neatly in a corner of the HT where the cylinders on stood, 2 merc red PB2 ultras. The following day Gordon sneaks on to his web page to update his web page.

The cat is out of the bag and we laugh at the weakness of one unable to resist tempation. Will Gordon be able to face the potential harassment the forum goers will direct his way or will he be manly and admit we were right.

Hi my name is Gordon and I can not stop buying HT stuff, especially SVS subwoofers.

javry

Agent
G'ODE TO GORDONS SUBS

I WENT DOWN TO THE CROSSROADS
FELL DOWN ON MY KNEES
[ROBERT JOHNSON GUITAR RIFF]

YES, I WENT DOWN TO THE CROSSROADS
FELL DOWN ON MY KNEES
[ROBERT JOHNSON GUITAR RIFF]

LORD, I GOT ME 2 SVS STACKED ULTRAS
2 MORE, IF YOU PLEASE!

[BIG BLUESY RIFF...SMOKE, FIRE, 16HZ THUNDER.....WIFE SMILIN]

Javry

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Scott.. your funny... Gordon we all agree its time for an upgrade for you buddy! At least with shipping and wait time we wont have to visit his web site for a month or so to see the update.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
That would be new one for the SVS scrap book. I can see a new marketing stratagy for Ron over at SVS since he can't get Gordon to make any more moves.. Market the OBGYN's... "Hey we have a sub that not only is the best one out there for your HT but can also let you have your client's baby just alittle early.
Too funny Mike. They can market the subs as a no pain method of inducing labor. Play a bass heavy DVD and by the time the movie is over the baby will be delivered. It'll be a lot easier on us guys too.:D

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Heck SVS could even have a special delivery CD or DVD made and sell it for 20 times the cost by prescription only... Just have to make it though the FDA.... ahahaha

I can see the RX....

Take when needed to start delivery, after water breaks the SVS has done its thing and its time to rush to the hospital.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
First thing I have learned about HT is never say NEVER.
Don't think for a second I haven't got my eye on a Jet Black PB2-Ultra, guys.

The puppy's getting a little older........maybe he won't try to destroy it.....yeah, that's the ticket - he's a good boy.

And that slick parametric eq......I like that feature - nice move SVS.

And those Ultra drivers are just to die for; big underhung monsters - now that's a real man's woofer.

:)

We'll find out soon enough--I've got a baby girl due in two months and a dual PB2+ set shipping next week (fingers crossed). We watch a movie about every Fri. night in the home theater. Maybe I should lay down a little plastic, just in case... :)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Yea definantly cover the couch or seating... save big time on the upolstory clean bill... ha

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
You Guys are TOO MUCH!! :b
I had Sweet Nancy read the thread and you had her rolling!
:D :D

Seriously, I went way overboard on the subs I've got for my HT and have no desire to upgrade from here. I just finished listening to the SoundHound Sub Demo disc 1 and all I can say is. Enough! I've got enough!! The twin Ultras handled it with aplomb and I had all I wanted out of them. Lots of 118 dB peaks w/out going over 0dB or hearing any strain! Amp no where near clip and subs now where near their limits (I think). Very cool and very sufficient. I'll post a more complete review of that recording, but just wanted to reinforce my reason to not be tempted to any further excess in the sub department.

I'll be posting the review of the recording over at the S&V forum on this thread

I'm not sure how far the owner of the recording wants me to spread it, so before I get bombarded w/PM's for it, let me settle that issue first.

Thanks!
Gordon

PS: In terms of Sub Overkill, I'm a lightweight. Heck there guys here with two (2!) PB2's. There's even AudioGuy over at AVS Forum who wrote:
I managed to end up with four SVS subs (two PB2's and two B4's). My one salvation is that I have run out of corners and wall space (stacking, on the other hand...............................)
Okay friends, top THAT!! (I'm not gonna!!) :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Enough! I've got enough!! The twin Ultras handled it with aplomb and I had all I wanted out of them. Lots of 118 dB peaks w/out going over 0dB or hearing any strain! Amp no where near clip and subs now where near their limits (I think). Very cool and very sufficient.
Let's see - 118 dB uncorrected on the RS meter in the 16-20 Hz region.....that's about 125-128 dB actual, give or take. And that's at less than Reference Level.

I TOLD you guys.....this CD is COOKED HOT. WTG Gordon and bravo SVS. Holy $H!T!!!

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Let's see - 118 dB uncorrected on the RS meter in the 16-20 Hz region.....that's about 125-128 dB actual, give or take. And that's at less than Reference Level.
Um, Ah, sorry to spoil a bit of the fun, but I gave the corrected #'s in my post. Shoulda indicated that. Frankly I know it could have gone a lot higher, and maybe I'll try it when home alone sometime. As it was, when I had the LOW-LOW stuff at 118 db, I got more audible noise out of things in my house shaking than the sound itself. The Sound was more like an intense vibration pressure that shook things. Upstairs was worse than in the room. Could still feel some of the pressure waves, but teapots were rattling and the floor was vibrating.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordon

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for raining on my parade, Gordon. Shoulda known from a tech head like you.

Anyway, I get the same stuff - more noise from the house than anything else. I describe it as "room lock", where everything just starts shuddering in a resonance mode, especially upstairs.

Some of this stuff is so low, even the 2/20 tune on the PB2+ seems to knock some of it out. The 2/16 tune seems the best to capture it all and also deliver the maximum SPL in the process. Again, the same warning applies about mismatching tune and SS filter settings so user beware and use common sense in this tune.

A single PB2 Ultra with a port plugged will be down on internal volume and port area compared to dual Ultra cylinders - Gordon is still the champ unless you double up on the boxes. Then.....look out.

Ed

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Low filters are for wimps!! I took mine out of the circuit. Against all knowlegable and prudent advice, of course! :)

Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks