What's new

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022) - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Don't forget that Prime Universe Jonathan Archer first learns about the Gorn in the fourth-season ENT episode "Bound" -- the Orion-guy mentions the existence of the "Gorn Hegemony" to Archer and Reed, which in addition to the description of their less-than-friendly nature, would've almost certainly resulted in Archer reporting this back to Starfleet Command eventually, and Starfleet taking steps to gain intelligence on this new power out there that they've never encountered before (who could be a potential threat).

So I have no problem with the Starfleet of Pike's time at least being aware of their general depredations early in SNW, and then encountering them firsthand shortly afterwards.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I took a few week break from viewing the Strange New Worlds season 2 4K blu ray. I resumed with Among The Lotus Eaters, not an episode I was crazy about.

I liked it more on this viewing. It was my third time as I recall seeing it twice during the initial streaming. What I found interesting is it’s a re-visit to Rigel 7 first discussed in The Cage. What I did not realize until this morning was in reading the Memore Alpha entry on this episode, the personal yeoman that Pike refers to in The Cage is Zac. That did not occur to me. I assumed the yeoman would be female as all yeomans seen in TOS were women. So that‘s a new one amd made it interesting in hindsight. Maybe there was a throw away line that specified that.

I had forgotten that the aspects that the asteroids radiation that took memories away didn’t affect emotions. So strong emotional ties to things and people helped guide the crew as they struggled with their memory loss. In the end, it was a decent episode. Always fun to see how they do a call back to The Cage. I did struggle a bit because the events in The Cage take place shortly after the first visit to Rigel as the crew visits Talos IV. So I think Lotus Eaters takes place a few years later after Talos. I expected Una to mention it. And I thought she did. But it was addressed in the Discovery episode, so I’ll have to re-visit that.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
That did not occur to me. I assumed the yeoman would be female as all yeomans seen in TOS were women. So that‘s a new one amd made it interesting in hindsight. Maybe there was a throw away line that specified that.

In TOS, there was a line where Kirk complained to Bones about having been given a “female yeoman”. That implied that it actually was uncommon for a woman to be in that position. But yes, when the show decided to drop Janice Rand they did always have female yeomans on the show. Probably just because that visual dynamic had already been established in the first season.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
‘What’s the matter, Jim? Don’t you trust yourself?” That was the line in The Corbomite Maneuver referring to be given a female yeoman. :) That’s a good point Sean, a yeoman could normally be male.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Renewed for Season 4, Season 3 won't premiere until 2025:
Paramount Press Release said:
image_17088734721712943426547-9uqaya4h.png

PARAMOUNT+ ANNOUNCES SEASON FOUR RENEWAL OF​

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS AND FIFTH AND FINAL SEASON OF STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS

Both Series Are Produced by CBS Studios

April 12, 2024 – Paramount+ today announced that its hit original series STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS has been renewed for a fourth season. The series is currently in production on its third season, which is set to debut in 2025. Additionally, the previously announced fifth season of STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS, which also is currently in production, will mark the series’ final season and premiere this fall on Paramount+.

“It has been incredibly rewarding to continue to build the STAR TREK universe, and we're so grateful to Secret Hideout and our immensely talented casts and producers,” said Jeff Grossman, Executive Vice President, Programming, Paramount+. “STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS has found the perfect blend of action, adventure and humor, and we're elated to announce another season ahead of our season three premiere. Similarly, STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS has brought the laughs with an ample amount of heart to the franchise across its four seasons. We can’t wait for audiences to see what is in store for the crew of the U.S.S. Cerritos in this final season.”

LOWER DECKS and STRANGE NEW WORLDS are integral to the STAR TREK franchise, expanding the boundaries of the universe and exploring new and exciting worlds,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Studios. “We are extraordinarily proud of both series as they honor the legacy of what Gene Roddenberry created almost 60 years ago. We are so grateful to work with Secret Hideout, Alex Kurtzman, Mike McMahan, Akiva Goldsman, Henry Alonso Myers and the cast, crews and artists who craft these important and entertaining stories for fans around the world.”

The expanded STAR TREK franchise on Paramount+ also includes the fifth and final season of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, which recently premiered, STAR TREK: SECTION 31, an original movie event with Oscar® winner Michelle Yeoh, which recently wrapped production, and the new original series STAR TREK: STARFLEET ACADEMY, slated to begin production later this year.

About STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS
STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The series follows Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock, Number One and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise, in the years before Captain Kirk boarded the starship, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

The series stars Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn, Ethan Peck, Jess Bush, Christina Chong, Celia Rose Gooding, Melissa Navia and Babs Olusanmokun, along with special guest stars Paul Wesley and Carol Kane. The series is produced by CBS Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Akiva Goldsman, Jenny Lumet, Henry Alonso Myers, Aaron Baiers, Dana Horgan, Davy Perez, Frank Siracusa, John Weber, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth serve as executive producers.

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS currently is available to stream exclusively on Paramount+ in the U.S., the U.K., Latin America, Australia, South Korea, Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It streams on SkyShowtime in the Nordics, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal and Central and Eastern Europe. The series is distributed by Paramount Global Content Distribution.

About STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS
STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS is an animated comedy series that focuses on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos. The crew residing in the “lower decks” of the U.S.S. Cerritos includes the voices of Tawny Newsome, Jack Quaid, Noël Wells and Eugene Cordero; the bridge crew is voiced by Dawnn Lewis, Jerry O’Connell, Fred Tatasciore and Gillian Vigman.

STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS is produced by CBS’ Eye Animation Productions, CBS Studios’ animation arm; Secret Hideout; and Roddenberry Entertainment. Executive producers include Alex Kurtzman, Mike McMahan, Aaron Baiers, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth. Titmouse, the Emmy Award-winning independent animation production company, serves as the animation studio for the series.

STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS streams exclusively on Paramount+ in the U.S. and Latin America and is distributed by Paramount Global Content Distribution.

About Paramount+
Paramount+, part of Paramount’s (Nasdaq: PARA, PARAA) global portfolio of multimedia entertainment and news brands, is a direct-to-consumer digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service, combining live sports, breaking news and A Mountain of Entertainment™. The streaming service features an expansive library of original series, hit shows and popular movies across every genre from world-renowned brands and production studios, including BET, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel. Paramount+ with SHOWTIME®, the service's cornerstone plan, is also home to SHOWTIME® content, including scripted hits and critically acclaimed nonfiction projects and films. This premium plan includes unmatched events and sports programming through the local live CBS stream, including golf, basketball and more. All Paramount+ subscribers have streaming access to CBS News Network for 24/7 news and CBS Sports HQ for sports news and analysis.

For more information about Paramount+, please visit www.paramountplus.com, and follow @ParamountPlus on social media.

About CBS Studios
CBS Studios is one of the world’s leading suppliers of entertainment programming with development and production for broadcast, cable networks, streaming services, and other emerging platforms. The Studio’s expansive portfolio spans a diverse slate of commercially successful and critically acclaimed scripted programming, which includes genre-defining franchises such as NCIS, CSI and the ever-growing Star Trek universe, award-winning late night and daytime talk shows, as well as an extensive library of iconic intellectual property. The Studio also develops and produces local language and international content originating outside of the US for viewers around the world.

***​

PRESS CONTACTS

Paramount+ Press Contacts:

Nikki Kozel: [email protected]

CBS Studios Press Contacts:
Jennifer Verti: [email protected]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think we knew about 2025 for SNW but it’s still infuriating. Both SNW seasons have ended on cliffhangers that took over a year for a resolution to follow. That is so incredibly disrespectful to their audience, especially when one factors in that this show’s audience is asked to pay a hefty fee for the privilege of watching it.

I mentioned this on the Lower Decks thread and I don’t want to repeat the diatribe but this is also a show that would have greatly benefited from a 13-22 episode season. I really enjoy this show but none of the things that add to budget while lengthening production time - namely, Hollywood tentpole-style effects - make that trade-off worth it for me.

I kinda wish CBS was producing this for their linear channel so we’d not only get more episodes, but also regularly scheduled airings and a different production ethos that placed some value on being in our homes on a more regular schedule. I can’t believe I of all people are saying this but each long wait between seasons and each delay makes me care a little less.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think we knew about 2025 for SNW but it’s still infuriating. Both SNW seasons have ended on cliffhangers that took over a year for a resolution to follow. That is so incredibly disrespectful to their audience, especially when one factors in that this show’s audience is asked to pay a hefty fee for the privilege of watching it.

I mentioned this on the Lower Decks thread and I don’t want to repeat the diatribe but this is also a show that would have greatly benefited from a 13-22 episode season. I really enjoy this show but none of the things that add to budget while lengthening production time - namely, Hollywood tentpole-style effects - make that trade-off worth it for me.

I kinda wish CBS was producing this for their linear channel so we’d not only get more episodes, but also regularly scheduled airings and a different production ethos that placed some value on being in our homes on a more regular schedule. I can’t believe I of all people are saying this but each long wait between seasons and each delay makes me care a little less.
It’s also (based on the experiences of The Orville), really shitty for the cast (and possibly main crew)

They are locked into the show, only paid for a few episodes, and then not paid for months/years in the in-between.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I sympathize with the feelings of the long gaps between seasons. We know part of the reason is self inflicted with the writers and actors strikes. I imagine if I was a kid who loved the new Star Trek shows, I’d be eating up the earlier episodes and streaming them a few times during this long wait. Like what was done during the dim time of the 1970’s.

if Paramount + keeps knocking off shows after 5 seasons, we’re not going to have much left. I know they are putting their eggs in Starfleet Academy and the Section 31 film and the future seasons of SNW. Like others, I’m not excited by the concept of Starfleet Academy. On the other hand, I hear good things about the Star Wars shows, especially Andor which I’ve not seen. Maybe Starfleet Academy will be at that level. Or a 90210 type show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks