What's new

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022) - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Ohhhh man, this season looks....awesome! I am going to absolutely geek out on the crossover episode.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m excited for the upcoming season. The crossover is gonna be a lot of fun. I also hope that they do a “space itself is the mystery/enemy/problem” episode. I always love when Trek gets one of those in.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I am going to absolutely geek out on the crossover episode.
They did a way better job than I expected translating the "Lower Decks" Cali-class uniforms to live action.

And the advantage of this being their first live action appearance is that the SNW costume department could make the Lower Decks command red the same color as the SNW operations red.
Video Unavailable.

It's strange that the UK version of the trailer is cropped to 16x9 while the US trailer is the full scope ratio.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
The season two opener was so much fun--already knowing these characters and jumping straight into the adventure. No spoilers but this show hasn't lost a beat from season one and maybe has gained a few beats. My apprehension about Carol Kane not fitting in has been summarily put to rest. Can't wait for next week's episode. This show and Picard season three are the two ST shows that make me feel like I'm watching the Star Trek I grew up loving, even though they have changed for a new generation. SNW's creators do a great balancing act--tempering the credibility I want as an original fan and "going big" to help the show appeal to younger audiences. Really a good job, better than any 21st century Trek, in my opinion, of consistently satisfying a large contingent of old and new ST fans.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
S02E01 - The Broken Circle

Solid premiere episode for season two. In terms of tone it felt very consistent with season one, mixing dramatic tension and comedic moments. I'm still just a bit on the fence about Carol Kane, but I appreciated that the episode did give us some background on the character. Considering how much I enjoy the series, I have a lot of faith that the creative forces behind the show will weave her into the cast. The show continues to give us a lot of eye candy in terms of its environments and the various craft that inhabit the series' world space. Other thoughts that I will put in spoilers...

I was mildly disappointed that Pike was essentially a guest star in this episode, but clearly they are setting up one or more major episodes for the character in terms of supporting Number One.

I liked the visual representation of the Klingons in this episode, without getting into other depictions. :)

Thought the Klingon ship design was solid and I don't recall every seeing articulated elements on the nacelles of the Bird of Prey.

Interesting that we are getting something of a neurological explanation for Mr. Spock's heightened emotions. I like the fact that the show does attempt an explanation. In that same vein, I enjoyed the introduction of the Vulcan lute to Mr. Spock's collection of Vulcan themed gear.

The "hulk serum" that Chapel and M'Benga administered to themselves felt a bit 'deus ex machina' but as long as they don't use it with any regularity then I guess I am okay with it. I would think that there are certain adverse affects on the human physiology that would render it harmful to use and thus only to be relied upon as a last resort.

It appears that the Gorn are going to be a major plot element in season two.

Enjoyable first episode and I am looking forward to weekly visits with the crew and world of ST:SNW.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought it was terrific and Ethan Peck was at his best as Spock. Very glad to have the show back.

Interesting choice to show that Chapel’s feelings for Spock are not unrequited after all. I guess we’ll see why it is he can’t return them. This is the emotional core of the show and it’s very effective.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't my favorite episode, but I'm still really happy to have this one back. I was glad to see some of the dangling threads from the first season wrapped up, especially the outcome of Lian's quest to reunite Oriana with her family.

My apprehension about Carol Kane not fitting in has been summarily put to rest.
I really enjoyed her character. Completely different energy than Hemmer from Season 1. Reminded me a lot of Yoda circa Empire Strikes Back, both the ancient quality and the playfulness. It's very much a Carol Kane character, in the same continuum as Simka Gravas from "Taxi" and Valerie in The Princess Bride. It shouldn't work, but it does.

I'm assuming her backstory will come into play later on in the season; otherwise, it doesn't make sense to introduce a new species of extremely long-lived beings who are outwardly indistinguishable from humans. If her backstory doesn't matter, they could have just made her an El-Aurian.

The show continues to give us a lot of eye candy in terms of its environments and the various craft that inhabit the series' world space.
I thought they did a much better job utilizing the augmented reality stage in this episode. During the first season, the scenes shot on the AR stage stood out because the action tended to be centered in a confined area at the center of the frame. Here, they really filled up for the foreground with both people and set dressing so that the seams weren't as obvious. I'm assuming most of the outdoor scenes on the surface of the mining colony were shot on the AR stage, but no shots leaped out at me as being obviously shot that way.

Other thoughts that I will put in spoilers...

I was mildly disappointed that Pike was essentially a guest star in this episode, but clearly they are setting up one or more major episodes for the character in terms of supporting Number One.
I think that was part of what dampened my enthusiasm for this episode. This is very much an ensemble show, but his character is the glue that holds it all together.

I liked the visual representation of the Klingons in this episode, without getting into other depictions. :)
I have mixed feelings on that front. On one hand, I'm really glad they've moved away from the really over the top alien designs of the Klingons from "Discovery". The Klingons in this episode were much closer to the norm from the TOS movies through "Enterprise".. On the other hand, given how close we are in the timeline to the original series, I'd like to start seeing TOS style Klingons with the smooth foreheads. "Enterprise" provided a ready explanation for the discrepancy, and then "Discover" ignored it.

Thought the Klingon ship design was solid and I don't recall every seeing articulated elements on the nacelles of the Bird of Prey.
The ship design felt exactly like what I remember from TOS. Looking at photos side-by-side, there are some significant differences, but still the same layout and shape as the D7-class battle cruisers from TOS. Similar to the SNW Enterprise versus the original series Enterprise, I think the changes were made to provide sufficient detail and texture to hold up to 4K resolution.

Interesting that we are getting something of a neurological explanation for Mr. Spock's heightened emotions. I like the fact that the show does attempt an explanation.
That was set up nicely in the first season when Spock was forced to tear down the mental scaffolding keeping his emotions in check in order to effectively bait the Gorn in "All Those Who Wander". By having him still struggling with that in this episode, we get to see the emotional toll of the choices he has to make in a way that would normally be out of character -- especially with regard to his friendship with Nurse Chapel.

I'm a sucker for whenever Spock's human side is explored, so I really enjoyed those scenes.

The "hulk serum" that Chapel and M'Benga administered to themselves felt a bit 'deus ex machina' but as long as they don't use it with any regularity then I guess I am okay with it. I would think that there are certain adverse affects on the human physiology that would render it harmful to use and thus only to be relied upon as a last resort.
That whole sequence really rubbed me the wrong way. Apparently Babs Olusanmokun is a black belt in jiu-jitsu and the showrunners really wanted to utilize his skillset this season. But I don't want to see the chief medical officer being violent. I can believe that M'Benga and Chapel served together during the Klingon War, when the Enterprise was off on its previous five-year mission. And I can believe that they were traumatized by that experience. But I still don't buy them as soldiers.

It appears that the Gorn are going to be a major plot element in season two.
It definitely does. Which raises all sorts of questions, given the constraints imposed by what we learn in "Arena".

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It wasn't my favorite episode, but I'm still really happy to have this one back.

My wife and I both felt the same.

I really enjoyed her character. Completely different energy than Hemmer from Season 1. Reminded me a lot of Yoda circa Empire Strikes Back, both the ancient quality and the playfulness. It's very much a Carol Kane character, in the same continuum as Simka Gravas from "Taxi" and Valerie in The Princess Bride. It shouldn't work, but it does.

We're interested in seeing where she goes with this.

I have to say, though, that the "theft" of the Enterprise seemed contrived. Spock talks with April about going to the dilithium planet (I've forgotten the name), and gets shut down. Then, not long after, the Enterprise suddenly has an antimatter problem that necessitates they undock from the Starbase, and then it takes off. It's not like April can't add 2+2. And in his talk with Spock after everything is done, Spock doesn't point out that, yes, he and the crew risked re-starting the war, but if they hadn't gone, the false-flag operation would've started it anyway

That whole sequence really rubbed me the wrong way. Apparently Babs Olusanmokun is a black belt in jiu-jitsu and the showrunners really wanted to utilize his skillset this season. But I don't want to see the chief medical officer being violent. I can believe that M'Benga and Chapel served together during the Klingon War, when the Enterprise was off on its previous five-year mission. And I can believe that they were traumatized by that experience. But I still don't buy them as soldiers.

It was a surprise to learn that M'Benga and Chapel have a history. Well, I did get vibes last season that M'Benga might've known Chapel and recommended her assignment to the Enterprise. But I wasn't expecting this. I can see him as someone who served during the war, and has been perhaps trying to suppress some PTSD. Chapel didn't work for me as a soldier type, though.

I have to say, that I'm rather irked that some of the best (well, the funniest) Spock moments -- his "thing", and his bloodwine guzzling -- were spoiled in the trailer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, though, that the "theft" of the Enterprise seemed contrived. Spock talks with April about going to the dilithium planet (I've forgotten the name), and gets shut down. Then, not long after, the Enterprise suddenly has an antimatter problem that necessitates they undock from the Starbase, and then it takes off. It's not like April can't add 2+2. And in his talk with Spock after everything is done, Spock doesn't point out that, yes, he and the crew risked re-starting the war, but if they hadn't gone, the false-flag operation would've started it anyway
April himself says as much in the scene near the end when one of the other senior officers asks him why he didn't come down harder on Spock.

The name Robert April has been out there since the first pitch for "Star Trek", but (aside from one episode of the animated series) we'd never seen him until this series. It's been interesting to watch how this show fleshes that character out. There's a pragmatic streak with his character, but also some political savvy.

I think it's entirely possible that April figured out what Spock et al were up to, and once he realized how determined they were, let it happen. Best case scenario, they nip a problem in the bud and take one thing off his plate. Worse case scenario, an intergalactic incident occurs and April can wash his hands of the whole thing since he had ordered them to stay put.

It was a surprise to learn that M'Benga and Chapel have a history.
That was clear to me right from the series premiere, even though we didn't know the nature of that history until now. I got the sense that Chapel had moved away from nursing to focus on her research, and M'Benga actively sought her out to join his medical staff aboard the Enterprise.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This episode wasn’t what I would have thought the first of the season to be.

Reminded me of the final season of the Flash with the many contrived reasons to not have him in many eps.

Didn’t care for the fight fluid.

The look of the Klingons is a lost battle at this point.

The angle of the view screens is strange.

Oh well I expect that I’ll enjoy the rest of the season.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
It definitely does. Which raises all sorts of questions, given the constraints imposed by what we learn in "Arena"
I was hoping that would be it for this species as a threat. Given what happened in season one, it already strains credulity that Kirk didn't know who the Gorn were only a few years later, especially since he is in the same starship with the same memory banks. I wish someone would use some imagination and come up with the next great alien threat, instead of these constant retreads.

I love this show, so I am willing to cut it some slack since every other scene isn't ridiculous like DSC, but there's no way that Klingon spills the info. I didn't buy it for a second. No way is that chap going to Sto-vo-kor. And it could have easily been handled another way so the same info is received.

The business with Chapel and the doctor fighting. This is the kind of Alex Kurtzman crap I can't stand. Even if he had nothing to do with it, he did, indirectly. A fish rots from the head.

Still, this is by far the best Trek out there. The characters are grounded in reality, which is refreshing after DSC and Lower Decks.

Jayembee said:
I have to say, that I'm rather irked that some of the best (well, the funniest) Spock moments -- his "thing", and his bloodwine guzzling -- were spoiled in the trailer.
--
That's why I am not going to watch the season three trailer, assuming I haven't kicked the bucket before season three comes out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks