What's new

Star Trek - Nemesis (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD

I got this DVD last week and finally saw it tonight. I pretty much enjoyed the movie and I think that the movie didn’t get what it deserved. People were too hard on this film. Unlike other mediocre movies, it’s well acted. If it’s not the best thing since sliced bread, at least it’s entertaining! You get some extras and some deleted scenes which are better left deleted!

Some stills I made:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yes Nemesis I guess Beared the wrath so to speak of the public's tiring of the Trek Franchise. I actually thought it one of the best of the TNG era films' Go figure

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the pics. I, too, believe this is one of the best of the series: right up there with Wrath of Khan and First Contact.
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this movie in the theater.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Paramount has been listening!

new menu gets you to choose between previews and main menu (default) - if you don't choose, it goes through to main menu.

previews (in last menu) - an outdated one for DS9, The Hours.

hmm...sound is VERY low.
picture looks good though.
score is decent.

damn, some good opening action!

ok, having to crank up the sound to hear the dialogue...the action scenes sound darned loud, clear and GOOD.

as a rant I don't understand why they don't just leave it a little higher to start with. VERY annoying.

this movie is good. lots of action, good effects, original etc.

no visible compression, no EE (which I've noticed on Antwone Fisher already!)

recommended!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I really believe that this film has a chance to do much better in its DVD and Video distribution than it did in the theater.

I know that I, for one, couldn't make it to the theater the first week of its release due to personal problems. The next week, of course, was LOTR:The Two Towers. The weekend after that I was actually determined to see the darn thing, but by then it was already gone! This is, therefore, the first and only Star Trek movie that I was never able to see theatrically!

In talking to a number of my Star Trek friends, the vast majority all stated that they had decided to simply wait on the DVD due to the proximity of the release to the new LOTR movie, which they had all already purchased tickets to before the new Star Trek movie opened!

Paramount could not possibly have picked a worse time to release a Star Trek movie! While the fan base may have "softened" a bit over the past three years, I really believe that the film would have had a much better box office presence if it had been released in mid-August of last year. At that point all the "Summer Blockbusters" had pretty much run their course, and the anticipation for the new LOTR movie had not been cranked up yet to a fever pitch. But ... What do I know?

Anywhoo ... Bring on the DVD!

Oh ... and BTW: While I certainly appreciate the stills, where are all the online in depth reviews for this DVD? The thing "streets" in just five days!!

[Edited]
Uh ... Scratch that! I just noticed that DVDFILE just posted one up:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...k_nemesis.html

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
they should of released the movie in january or february.. the competition was tough during christmas.

JACOB

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the pics. I, too, believe this is one of the best of the series: right up there with Wrath of Khan and First Contact
Wrath Of Khan yes, Fist Contact no.It was more in line with "Insurection".
This was a major dissapointment for me,I had "high ecpectations" after seing the trailers. Bummer!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the screenshots, Sam; looks like a good transfer. As a standalone movie, I thought Nemesis was pretty decent and entertaining (which is why I'll probably pick it up). However, as an entry in the Trek series, I was disappointed that it ignored so much of Data's backstory, among other things. And if this is truly the last film with the Next Gen crew as a unit, they missed a lot of opportunities.

I haven't actually seen the deleted scenes yet, but I did read a good portion of the script and there were a couple of scenes that the film really could have benefitted from. At any rate, not an awful film, but just not as good as it could have been. Yet I'm still going to buy it for some reason. :rolleyes

I also agree that it was a bad move to put this out right before Two Towers; it was just too crowded a season.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Lewis:

I wouldn't even think of likening Nemesis to the garbage that is Insurrection. Your attitude toward the movie is why it was not a success in theaters and is unjustified IMO. Give it another viewing and say it's of Insurrection quality.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I seem to recall reading in TV Guide when the film came out that Judd was never filmed; that that was stictly a 'Net rumor. Just going on memory here.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Lewis wrote:
Lewis:

I wouldn't even think of likening Nemesis to the garbage that is Insurrection. Your attitude toward the movie is why it was not a success in theaters and is unjustified IMO. Give it another viewing and say it's of Insurrection quality.
Mark, I could be wrong because Lewis didn't word it very precisely (nor spell very well :) ), but I think when he said "it" he was referring to First Contact, and comparing it to Insurrection, and not comparing Nemesis. I base this on the fact that he first said "Wrath of Khan yes," implying that Nemesis could be compared favorably to it.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Lookin' forward to getting this. I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed the movie. :)

PS - I also thought that the whole Ashley Judd rumour was just that. Rumour. I'll believe it when I see it and/or someone posts a screen. :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I missed this in its theatrical run. I liked Generations very much except for the hokey ending and I liked First Contact as well. I did not like Insurrection very much. What are the chances I will like this one based on that?

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
Neil you sound very much like me. I would say most likely that you would like it but do not expect to be blowin away. If you like Trek at all there is enough in the film to warrant a buy. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks