What's new

Star Trek - Nemesis (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
how did you all get your copies of this movie before the release date?
Local dealer who also sells on the Internet posts a picture on his site at the top of the page. This lets you know he has it. I just go down to his store and there it is on the counter as if its getting priced up. I ask for one and away I go. Usually he's $3-5 more than you'll get it a FS on release day. Right now he has Adaption Superbit, The Recruit, Dances with Wolves, Sex in the City 4 available that are being released next week and the 27th.

Kevin

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Im a bit short on time and cant read the link - is a Dir Cut definite for a future release???

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Sorry Im a bit short on time and cant read the link - is a Dir Cut definite for a future release???
I believe Stuart Baird has gone on record saying that the theatrical version is his preferred version. He also mentioned that he thought some of the character scenes were too "jokey," which makes me wonder if Rick Berman really even tried to help him understand the characters at all.

At any rate, hope springs eternal; maybe something will happen.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I believe Stuart Baird has gone on record saying that the theatrical version is his preferred version. He also mentioned that he thought some of the character scenes were too "jokey," which makes me wonder if Rick Berman really even tried to help him understand the characters at all.
Stuart Baird had no idea how to direct Trek. His style was outrageously dull. Does he even know the word "Crane"?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
This movie would have been so much better if they had actually brought in Lore for one final run. When they found that android signal on the planet, you could tell the actors where THINKING it was Lore, even though he was never mentioned. It would be interesting to see if these was done at the request of the actors, because they knew the fans would be expecting some mention as well...

If the writers where truly Trek fans, I'm wondering if they whern't allowed to use the Lore plotline for some reason, or found it too tiring to bring up again.. Either that, or couldn't think up a good reason to fit him into the plot.

I must be the only one who liked Inssurection. The aliens are original, wich is a plus, but the method these aliens use in the movie is completly disgusting from MPOV, wich makes them a bit unwatchable, wich is a minus, heh.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
If there is to be an end all with TNG then this film is it. I caught it in theaters and can't wait till next week to pick it up. Ranks up there with First Contact.

J

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'm wondering if they whern't allowed to use the Lore plotline for some reason, or found it too tiring to bring up again.. Either that, or couldn't think up a good reason to fit him into the plot.
Wasn't Lore de-activated by Data? So presumably, Lore was either A) destroyed or B) stuffed into some storage bin somewhere.

In any case, finding Lore in bits again ... can't see how they would have worked that. And it WAS mentioned in TNG that Dr. Soong (Data's creator) had created 3 other androids prior to building Lore & Data.

That all being said, I really don't know why they didn't at least have someone like a worried-looking-Riker saying "It's not Lore, is it Data?" *shrug*

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I just received my pre-release copy. It has a bi-lingual cover--English/French. Any one else have this?

At least Jean-Luc Picard is the same in both languages!:laugh:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
From what I am reading here and the previous link to a past thread on Nemesis and the Trek site info, it looks like the Nemesis DVD release for May 20 is a Special Collectors Edition. The print ads call it a "Special Collectors Edition", the same as the previous 4 films are sold. It does not list a second disc, and those who already have it confirm that.

If there is no Okuda text commentary, then it does say that this is not so special and a possible SE could be coming. Can some one confirm no Okuda text commentary?

But I have a feeling, this edition IS the Special Edition. Particularly if Stuart Baird has said this is the director's cut, no other version is going to be cut. And the deleted scenes that are included equal the previously mentioned 45 to 50 minutes of footage cut from the film, it seems this is all there is, That's all folks. I bet the last 3 Trek films could have filled all that data on one DVD as they are doing here. It's just marketing.

I hope someone can tell us for sure that this is it, not future SE's coming.

Nelson

D

DAN NEIR

My copy has both languages also.
I have to say I'm a big trek fan and was disappointed w/ this film. I mean it's better than Insurrection and Generations but that ain't saying much. A couple of questions I hope someone here can answer:
Why the need to kill Data? It was pointless and an obvious attempt to copy Wrath of Khan.
Why didn't Data give Picard the emergency transporter before he beamed aboard. He was the one who wanted to give it to him in an earlier scene.
Why is Picard going on board anyway? He's the captain! The most important one on the ship and he's going over to try and stop the thing.
Why the need for the clone Picard and B4? Most every movie have some connection for both Picard and Data.
A little complaint here, How is Wesley Crusher there?? Why is Worf on board in his old post?? Anyone who saw the shows knows these characters were involved in other things.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I don't see the words "Special Collector's Edition" anywhere on this box, confirmed to contain just 1 disc:

I'm thinking that anyone who claims this is an "SCE" version of the release is just making an assumption based on the previous releases you mention.

There will almost certainly be a 2-disc SCE release later, when its turn in the rotation comes (Baird's opinion aside).

Even if that never happens, THIS release is *not* an SCE version!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I would hazard a guess that a 2-disc special edition of Nemesis will appear after special edition of Insurrection, prob late 2004 or early 2005, assuming the Next Gen movies start getting the 2-disc treatment next year.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I could be wrong because Lewis didn't word it very precisely (nor spell very well ), but I think when he said "it" he was referring to First Contact, and comparing it to Insurrection, and not comparing Nemesis. I base this on the fact that he first said "Wrath of Khan yes," implying that Nemesis could be compared favorably to it.
Wrong!
Nemesis compared favorably to ST II because I hated that too.It[Nemesis] didn't compare favorably to First Contact,because that move was light years away better.
I agree though that it was better then Insurrection.
Hope this clears it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
David-

Your assessment could very well be the correct one, that an SE will be released of Nemesis sometime after the SE's of Trek 5 and 6 and the first 3 Next Generation films are released. Only Paramount knows for sure.

My earlier guess that this disc is the SE is based on the number of extras included with the disc that no other first release Star Trek film DVD has had. (Star Trek-The Motion Picture excepted of course) I speculate that this is a first for a Star Trek film on DVD, therefore saving Paramount the effort of re-issuing Nemesis. Consider that this DVD has a lot of stuff already, ( Director commentary, several documentaries, and deleted scenes and the 2 page ad in TV Guide Magazine calling it a Special Collectors Edition), I'm sure a lot of the members here will be upset they will have to repurchase this DVD if the SE contents only change a bit.

But Paramount might have a ton of other extras to include in the next release, including an Okuda text commentary, the facts of cloning, the lost Ashley Judd footage, commercials for the DVD release of Voyager or Enterprise.:) Time will tell what comes out after Insurrection's SE DVD.

Nelson

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I think what upset most ST fans who didn't enjoy this film, is that it could have been any generic science fiction film... all of what makes it a TNG film has been stripped away. The script looked really good, but Baird made some incredibly poor choices in cutting the film. Several fans I have spoken to would have purchased the DVD had the film been recut, but hopefully we'll get our chance if Paramount does a super-duper special edition with the other TNG films.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
What made me as a longtime Star Trek fan angry was this is ST2 recycled.

The first version with the original cast was much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks