What's new

Star Trek - Nemesis (2 Viewers)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Lloyd White wrote (post #197):

Your comment gives me occasion to sort of belabor the point about what I see as one of the major failings of this film, and even of The Wrath of Khan. In neither film do I get an "epic feel", unlike with the Dominion War arc of DS 9. In both cases, what we get is a one-on-one confrontation between ships and their captains of---let's face it---, basically, a personal nature.

Not that I wanted the Klingons in on the story---they've been in waaaaay too many already, in my estimation---, but, although the personal confrontation may be good for a stage play, without some outside reference the story disappoints and does not make the grade for me in an "expansive" movie that's supposed to be "epic" in scope.

We all know---or should know by now---that ST 2 was working under severe budget restrictions, but also studio pressure to "keep it simple" and make it work. It just seems to me that in the copying process---and I think that's what we have here (and I can only judge from the produced script, not from predecessor versions)---they kept it simple, but, ultimately, failed to make it (Nemesis) work, despite the looser budget strings and better corporate backing.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I haven't read this whole thread but this looks like as good a place as any to post my opinion on Nemesis. My opinion is full of Nemesis spoilers so.....

I don't remember films 1-5 well enough to have an educated opinion on them but I know the rest of them well. VI, The Undiscovered Country is my favorite, it's the only story driven Star Trek film that I've seen. Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection were all moderately entertaining but they were no better than your average TNG episode. Nemesis had lots of potential but it felt like they started a few plots but the only one they did justice to was the Riker/Troi marriage which was nice. Data/B4 was a huge waste, it's not like this is the first time we've seen a Data clone and the fact that there are an unknown number of them just waiting for The Enterprise to pick up their positronic signals from half way across the galaxy lessens the impact of Data's death. The cloaked ship that has the power to destroy all life on a planet was weak too, any war where one side has a weapon so much more powerful than anything that the other side has built isn't even worth fighting. The Romulans having grown a Picard clone could have been better had there not been so many holes in his story (they give birth to him, give up on the project, dump him on some remote planet where he's a slave and a few years later he's got his own starship????) but even a solid clone story has a been there done that feel to it too. Riker has one, Data has a couple of them, I think Troi had one and now it's Picard's turn.

I think this movie would have been much better with a simpler story. On their way to drop Riker and Troi off on their honeymoon the Enterprise gets called away on a priority mission. They interrupt some alien conspiracy to take over the galaxy and Data sacrifices his life to save humanity.

The End.

Don Black

Screenwriter
While I agree with most of the plot holes mentioned above, I think this was still the best TNG film by far. It's sad that it did so poorly at the box office and Paramount clearly indicated through the DVD that it would be the last. Ah well...

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Oh, come on, Jack. Do you REALLY think that people would think any more of a movie if inertial physics became integral in sci-fi movies? The only place that people expect to see that is in cartoons when Tom overshoots Jerry and can't stop before slamming into a wall. Well, there and the Wing Commander games.
Its Trek, not B5 :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shoulda let Riker direct again. At least he gave us First Contact.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But he didn't get the job because he gave us Insurrection...
I blame Insurrection on the low oxygen levels they were experiencing on their mountaintop location.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Saw it tonite... Anyone besides me notice some prominent EE, "haloing" if you prefer in some scenes. The wedding to be exact...????

:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks