What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Spielberg talks "Raiders" DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Barry,
How are you going to address what issue? If people dislike Spielberg and some of the things he's done then they have that right to do so and express their opinion about it. Of course, that doesn't make them right about such an opinion, but it's still only their opinion.

Crawdaddy

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I'm perfectly relaxed. I realize he was only joking. As I said before my comments were not directed at Nate but at the people who he was spoofing. Not once did I mention his name in my original contested post. I was talking about people with a real bias against Spielberg. Is that clear enough?
I wasn't just talking about him. He wasn't the only one making jokes.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Barry, how are you going to address what issue? If people dislike Spielberg and some of the things he's done then they have that right to do so and express their opinion about it. Of course, that doesn't make them right about such an opinion, but it's still only their opinion.
Ok, then what I posted was my opinion of their opinion. Seriously though let's drop this. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I like knowing that Spielberg is arguing with Paramount -- about anything. After seeing him argue for E.T., I'm behind him on pretty much anything he goes for.

Whatever makes them come out with a more artistic, well put together, version of each film will make me happy. They are each high enough in my mind as far as movies go, that they deserve individual packaging and shelfspace.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Here's my two cents:

I'm a very patient man, and I find that patience really pays off.

All I care about right now is that they take the time and care to produce the best DVD's possible and at the end say, "Is this the best we can do?"

Unlike the Star Trek films and the Jack Ryan films, I firmly believe that the DVD outputs of the Indiana Jones films will be the definitive versions. I've got faith that the seperate releases will be excellent in their own right.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Fully restore the film negatives (going back to the camera negatives if possible), clean up the visual effects (digitally re-doing the opticals to get rid of matte lines and to do color correction, but THAT'S IT!!), and fully remaster and remix the films so they can be released on DVD in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.

If they can get John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra to take the time and care to re-score and do audiophile, multichannel re-recordings of all three movies using state of the art digital equipment (8 Bit DSD or 24 bit/192 kHz PCM), that would be great.

THAT'S ALL I ASK OF YOU MR. SPIELBERG AND MR. LUCAS!

Dan

Travis D

Second Unit
Isn't Indiana Jones already in HD format. It broadcast on TV in HD a while back if I'm not mistaken so the transfers are out ther. All we need is a will and a way...

Unless those transfers we're done quickly and without care just to get it on over-the-air HDTV in a hurry.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Indiana Jones already in HD format. It broadcast on TV in HD a while back if I'm not mistaken so the transfers are out ther
New HI-DEF transfers of all three movies were struck for the Fall 1999 LD re-release of these movies. Unfortunately, that LD release was canceled due to lack of demand (DVD had already pretty much "walked-all-over" LD by then.)

Instead, the new transfers were used to produce the first ever VHS Widescreen editions of these movies. Needless to say, they were wasted on that format.

That's probably the reason Paramount is pushing so hard for a Box set release next year: They can finally recoup the money they spent back in 1999 bringing the Indiana Jones series over to HI-DEF!

James Norman

Auditioning
Like most people, the sooner I can have "Raiders" the better.
However, I plan to buy this release only once on DVD. I don't care if something comes down the road one to two years later that is ultra, extra, extra super-duper special. So whichever release pattern is going to provide the best edition of the film the first time -- that's the one that I want.
So if that means waiting three years, I'll wait three years.
On a sidebar; I will not buy an altered version of the film if the original is not clearly provided. I do not share Mr. Spielbergs PC vision. It's his right to revisit his film; it's also my right not to buy it if he alters it to soothe his conscience.
On a second tangent -- would this thread have more visibility (and is it appropriate) to be in Studio and Manufacturer Feedback where it might be more likely seen by Paramount?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I too would like to see an unaltered version. Box set or not, I'll be getting all three. (and 4 if it ever makes it out)

I don't agree with Lucas and Speilberg going back and changing their films. The general populace has already seen and accepted the movies as they are. All they are doing by making changes is causing people to say "wait a minute.. this is different" It makes no sense to me. I would think the studios would put their foot down on things like this as it really has no financial benefit. (you're not going to sell more Star Wars because Greedo shoots first)

It's like someone going back and changing the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz... because they're a little too creepy. Rediculous.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I will not buy an altered version of the film if the original is not clearly provided. I do not share Mr. Spielbergs PC vision. It's his right to revisit his film; it's also my right not to buy it if he alters it to soothe his conscience.
From my understanding, Steven just wants to clean up some of the effects and smooth out some of the matte lines and such. Nothing major, like E.T.

Any talk of Steven removing guns or having the swordsman shoot first was just some of us poking fun at the tendency for Speilberg and especially Lucas in going a little overboard in re-visiting their past films. There is no truth to our claims, or at least I hope not!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I'm sorry, but does anyone else see the glaring contradiction here? It's okay to redo the score and remix the soundtrack but not redo the special effects?

If you want it left alone, it's all or nothing.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Oops! Sorry if my post seemed directed towards you Adam,believe me that was not my intention.Though I can see how it happened. But anyhow I'll address your comments:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------quote:
If that's what it takes, than that's what it takes. Hopefully it won't be that long, if they release them individually on a regular release schedule (say, every six months)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See,your impression or rather your hope is that they will be released in a nice tight schedule,one after another,in a short period of time.I seriously doubt this will be the case.These would be spread so that the last release comes out just before part 4 hits theaters.Like I said,we've waited long enough,what more besides marketing fluff for the fourth one could they add?We've seen so much already as far as interviews and documentaries go.I don't see much more to be done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------quote:
I didn't say that. But Patrick made the justification that New Line double dipping was groovy because the saga is still ongoing. I simply pointed out that by that logic, Paramount/Lucas film should be groovy too since the Indy saga is still ongoing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And like I said,release them now,together,and if when the final box with part 4 is something truly special Ill buy that too!After all some of us update our evil dead movies what seems to be every year! Surely upgrading Indy 3 years from now wouldn't be a big deal? That gives everybody plenty of time to save :)
So would I, but unfortunately, these things don't make themselves. And in many people's opinion, there is no guarantee all three of the originals were great, since many have a problem with ToD. Seems like further justification for individual releases to me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You know I can understand why people would want a choice.However,this is one of the TRILOGIES we've been waiting for! Are there really that many out there that would not want all these movies just to have a complete set? To me BTTF 3 stinks,but I couldn't just buy 1&2 if I had a choice.Id get all three,they are all part of one of the great film series out there.Why not have them all?Its a collector set and Im a collector no? Are some of you gonna Skip Jedi or A New Hope because you only like Empire? I doubt it.Would you not buy the super box set of all 6 movies cause you hate the Phantom menace if that was the only way to get all of them? I didn't think so( and anyone who says they wouldn't is ssoooo full of it ;) ).
-------------quote: If that's how long it takes to many a quality product than sure. Hopefully, however, quality product will be available much sooner in individual releases-------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe yes,maybe no.But neither one of us can say this is true.How long did we wait for BTTF? Godfather? And there were issues let me tell you. Time, I feel has nothing to do with a great dvd.Its all about the people involved.If they love it,are excited about it,and looking to make it special,then it will be. Otherwise it can take ten years and still be disappointing.
So everyone should have to buy a boxed set based on your opinion?
Short answer: Yes ;) But honestly,as I said above are there really that many that would break up one of the greatest trilogies of all time? All these movies have their highs and lows.Personally I don't care for Raiders I love Last Crusade! Why should others like me wait(you know your out there)? Box set=everybody wins,Individual releases=ROTLA fans win. See what I mean? If in your opinion the other two movies are that god awful(and they aren't come on..) Make a nice custom cover,put it in a keep case and sell it on ebay.Problem solved. Sounds good?
Luis S

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I personally don't understand why everyone seems to hate Temple of Doom. I've always liked all three equally.
I guess they hate it because looking for a magic rock is stupid to them, I agree all 3 are equally great.
:D
Of course the people who hate looking for a magic rock are the same people who can buy into:
-protecting a long lost ring with magical powers,
-finding and protecting a philosophers stone with magical powers,
-looking for the jewel of the nile,

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Thank you Steve! Thats my point,are any of these really that terrible? Some of us have so called "guilty pleasures",movies that we love but are generaly looked down on by most.Are the Indy sequels worse than some of these? Not to me,and I got some serious cheese in my collection (American Ninja,The Last Dragon,Beastmaster....)! Comon guys lets just say yes to the Indy TRILOGY in 2003!:D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
All these movies have their highs and lows.Personally I don't care for Raiders I love Last Crusade! Why should others like me wait(you know your out there)? Box set=everybody wins,Individual releases=ROTLA fans win.
Actually, on the people that want the boxed set win with the boxed set.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
LOL Adam,you still didnt adress another point. Would you or anyone else not buy the Star Wars movies if you could only get them together in a set? Inspite of there being one or two of the films that are kinda weak? Those who have been buying the prequels as they come out are probably gonna have to buy the box as well.I highly doubt the set would just be the movies in a fancy case. It is sure to come with exclusive dvds of material that were not getting now.Count on it. And as far as only the people who want the box set winning. Not true, fans of Indy win and thats all that matters :D Individual release mean only the first movies fans get what they want.And we cant have that,can we? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks