What's new

Spielberg talks "Raiders" DVD (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
the Indiana Jones films were currently running in theaters, of course it makes sense to release them as they become available individually....
Well, with the last one not scheduled to hit theatres until 2005, it would by that logic make since to release them induvidually. After all, why release an incomplete box set, right?

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Yea,great.so Im supposed to wait another three years to have the complete set?!?! Just cause they want to cash in on part4's release? No thank you, I and many others have waited long enough for these films,and since theres no guarantee the 4th will be great,Id like them now please.I don't understand some of you guys,we've been asking for these forever and your saying you'd be happy waiting till 2005 for the set?!?None of these films stink,they all are wonderful in their own way.Lucas can do what he wants with Star Wars,I cant say Im expecting much anyway.But these don't need the fourth one to sell.And that's the only reason to delay it,$money$.These even aired on high def no?so its not like there in need of major work,gimme something now and if Lucas and Spielberg want to do something when the next movie hits go for it.If its good enough I'll buy that too,just like I did with LOTR :D
Luis S

Travis D

Second Unit
Well, with the last one not scheduled to hit theatres until 2005, it would by that logic make since to release them induvidually. After all, why release an incomplete box set, right?
Isn't that how Fox did the Die Hard series? That didn't seem so hard for them, why should Paramount and Spielberg have such a difficult time with this.

BTW - It seems that the DH trilogy models quite a bit after Indiana Jones. Everyone loves the 1st one, quite a bit of people like the 3rd, and number 2 is liked the least. And from what I gather, the DH trilogy re-release did well, didn't it?

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
As long as the individual and box sets don't differ, give it to me either way. I've been waiting a long time for these.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Travis D makes a great point. If I was stuck buying the Die Hard series separately, I might have skipped #2. Since the box set was available, I got the set.

Same sort of thing is happening with BTTF: folks who love the 1st one, sorta like the 3rd one, but hate the 2nd one are planning to buy the whole darn shootin' match tomorrow.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Actually, Spielberg's stance bothers me quite a bit here. It sounds like the typical Lucas mentality of releasing each movie seperately and then following up with another edition only a year or two later to milk consumers for more money.
I thought the general bitch about Lucas was that he was NOT doing that...
:confused:

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
On the violence in ToD: I can see it now, instead of the heart ripping we'll just see the Shaman put his hand over the heart and the person will grow weak. And don't forget the swordsman shoots first in RotLA.

On the release: They should do like they did with Saturday Night Fever, Grease and Urban Cowboy. Release them individually and also a box set at a slight savings, over buying each separately. Then they could also have an Ultimate Gift Set Edition which would add The Holy Grail Bookends.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
On the violence in ToD: I can see it now, instead of the heart ripping we'll just see the Shaman put his hand over the heart and the person will grow weak.
You mean that doesn't happen?!? oh, goodness. :) (The British censors have cut that scene for years and years- :) )
/me Kisses Temple of Doom NTSC LD.
For the record, I reckon if it's altered, he'll provide the original version for us. E.T. proved that he was willing to listen to the fans. I trust Spielberg.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Why does everyone keep making bad jokes about Spielberg changing things in Indiana Jones? He hasn't gone soft if that's what you think? If you are still mad at him for replacing the shotguns with the walkie-talkies in ET, get over it! He replaced the shotguns not because he wanted to water down the movie but because he always thought they were unnecessary, especially in a kid's movie. Plus he included both versions in one package. He is still the same director that made the brutal and ultra-realistic Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. From comments I've heard him make he intends to clean up some of the effects work (the melting Nazis) and add small little scenes here and there (Marion telling Indy how her father died). He doesn't plan to change any scenes apart from effects work. I know some of you want to have the originals and that is why Spielberg and Lucas want to release the original theatrical versions seperately first and then later release a box set with the special editions and Indy 4.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Barry, I know that. I was just making a joke to try and lighten things up. I didn't expect anyone to take it seriously.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
My comments weren't necessarily directed at you but at the growing opinion of many that Spielberg has lost it and/or gone soft.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
If you are still mad at him for replacing the shotguns with the walkie-talkies in ET, get over it! He replaced the shotguns not because he wanted to water down the movie but because he always thought they were unnecessary, especially in a kid's movie.
I don't buy that propoganda spin of his.
If he ALWAYS thought they were unnecessary, why'd he release the original movie that way? :rolleyes

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Somebody needs to relax and realize when a joke is being said/typed.
I'm perfectly relaxed. I realize he was only joking. As I said before my comments were not directed at Nate but at the people who he was spoofing. Not once did I mention his name in my original contested post. I was talking about people with a real bias against Spielberg. Is that clear enough?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Barry,
It really doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure Spielberg doesn't lay awake at night worrying about the horrible things a few disenchanted HTF members are saying about him.:)
Crawdaddy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
From comments I've heard him make he intends to clean up some of the effects work (the melting Nazis) and add small little scenes here and there (Marion telling Indy how her father died). He doesn't plan to change any scenes apart from effects work.
This is precisely why people are always complaining about him. He and Lucas seem obsessed about making changes to their biggest movies.

As long as the original is avalible on DVD - like E.T. - I don't care. However, Lucas is the one making the final decision here and that worries me. Lucas has already basically said that the original Star Wars will not be on DVD.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
ALL RIGHT!!!

We were all poking a little innocent fun at Spielberg, or more accurately, his perhaps slightly overboard tinkering of E.T. I have nothing against Steven and fully agree it is within his rights to change his movie, especially if he longer agrees with his decision to have cops pointing guns at kids (a valid point, I suppose.)

Can we just let this go before this thread melts down into another bitch fest? Okay?

Arif

Agent
wonder if they'll follow the films with the Young Indianna jones run in a separate boxset. I remember enjoying this series the first time around, and they'd be interesting to see again.
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles has already been confirmed for release on DVD. When it will be released, I have no idea. I too enjoyed watching this series on TV but never managed to catch all the episodes.
:)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I personally am tired of being forced to buy a box set for a series of movies. I haven't bought the Godfather films or the Rocky films for this very reason. Why can't they just release it both ways.

I absolutely hate "Temple of Doom". There is no way I will purchase the set if I have to get that film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks