What's new

Spielberg talks "Raiders" DVD (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe some people are actually complaing that Spielberg wants to give fans some Indy right now. He already said there would be a boxset, so you have your fair warning. Don't buy the single discs if you do not want them, no one is forcing you. Honestly I would rather get the seperately then in cheap packaging like Paramount did with the Godfather. With Indy 4 coming out in 2005, it makes sense to release a film every 8-12 months to build up some mommentum for the new film.

J

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
i found the Star Wars Insider with the 20Th anniversary issue.
Ultimate Raiders DVD set
Conceptual Art
A handful of outstanding preproduction paintings by cartoon artist Jim Steranko (worked also for Marvel) that led to Harrison Ford as Indy
Storyboards
Spielberg storyboarded the entire film himself, and in the final film 60 % sticks to his original vision.
Besides the obligatory storyboard to film comparisons (the truck chase and the market place swordfight which is different than the film)
Interviews / Director's Commentary
let's hope that the interviews Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford gave in 1999 for the re release of the widescreen VHS editions, will be added plus I would love to hear from Karen Allen (Marion Ravenwood), John Rhys Davies (Sallah), Paul Freeman (Belloq), or from Denhelm Elliot who died in 1992, from archive footage.
Behind the Scenes Featurettes
In 1989, Paramount released a pair of 1981 made for th features to VHS : The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Great Movie Stunts : Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Included is the outstanding footage of Ford and stuntman Terry Leonard as they create the scene in which Indy goes beneath the truck carrying the Ark.
There are other scenes they talk about as well.
Deleted / Unfinished Scenes
There is rehearsel footage of the sword fight as shown in Great Movie stunts plus additional fight scenes in the Ravenwood Bar scene. There is another scene cut as well as Indy & Marion escape from the Well of Souls.
Shooting script
some of the scenes that were not used in Raiders ended up in Temple of Doom. No doubt we would love to see the original script by Lucas anyway.
Photo gallery
LFL has so much hidden from public view that this would be great to see anyway.
I am sure that there are other things we would like to see, and how about an isolated John Williams score
:D

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Before The Last Crusade was made, Spielberg reconciled with his father who had left him, his sisters and his mother when he was a young kid. Much of the dialogue between Indy and his father is almost verbatim what was said between Spielberg and his father.
It seems to be a recurring theme in Speilberg's films wouldn't you say? :) (See Close Encounters, E.T., Hook, or A.I.)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I have forgotten something else ofcourse.
Why not include the 1988 Magnum PI episode Legend of the Lost Art with Tom Selleck playing Indiana Jones at last as homage. There must also be some footage of Tom Selleck talking about not getting the part.
:D

Brian-W

Screenwriter
there was nothing wrong with the transfer. The original source elements sucked, and no amount of digital wizardry would fix the picture. You can't expect low budget movies to have the best film stock (let alone be preserved).
I have Footloose in HDTV and it isn't a significant improvement over the DVD.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they'll follow the films with the Young Indianna jones run in a separate boxset. I remember enjoying this series the first time around, and they'd be interesting to see again.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I'll bow to your correction of my point. Point is the same, nonetheless: Bottom-line, the film doesn't look "high-quality".

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I don't understand why Spielberg and Lucas is arguing so much about this. It's Paramount who is releasing the movies, so in the end, it should be their decision how to release them on DVD as well. There were never any problems with the LD releases, where there?

James Reader

Screenwriter
There were never any problems with the LD releases, where there?
Artur raises a good point here. Why all this fuss about the DVDs - neither the Laser Discs or VHS releases caused such controversy when they were released.

I would be tempted to go for a box set ASAP with as many supplements as possible. I suspect this would be best served as a single disc for each film and 1 (or possibly 2) discs supplements. 2 discs ought to be enough to cover the entire trilogy.

Until we know Paramount's full plans and Lucas'/Spielberg's full plans we can't really say if one release method is preferable over another, if indeed one is.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why Spielberg and Lucas is arguing so much about this. It's Paramount who is releasing the movies, so in the end, it should be their decision how to release them on DVD as well
Lucas owns the movie. Paramount is a distributor, just like Fox is with Star Wars. They have virtually no say when it comes to releasing Lucasfilm titles

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I can understand where SS and Lucas are coming with this. It's actually nicer to give fans the option of buying singles first. This is very LD like and something DVD buyers might want to get used to now that so much of the catalog titles are out (the big stuff that is).

There were always plenty of special releases that followed previous releases for tons of titles. Doesn't mean you had to buy them or keep the old ones.

Would anyone really want New Line to hold off on releasing the LOTR films until they could package them all together? And isn't New Line doing EXACTLY what SS and Lucas are talking about doing with Raiders?

Yes they are. 2 disc, then an EE 4/5 disc, and apparently a super set of all three films. Everyone seems pretty jazzed about New Line right now (just look at the studio of the year poll and the DVD release poll).

But if you put SS' or Lucas' name to the exact same concept, then it's bullshit? How about some consistency?

For the record, while Raiders is totally incredible in every way, the other 2 are damn fine films as well and I can't wait to own all 3 in DVD form. Raiders is my #1 "to get" film right now, followed by "Empire Strikes Back", "SW", and then the other 2 IJones films.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
And isn't New Line doing EXACTLY what SS and Lucas are talking about doing with Raiders?
It's totally different. There is only 1 LOTR film that has been released whereas all of the Indiana Jones films have been released for years. Slap them in a set (or release all 3 together individually) now - that would be my preference. If the Indiana Jones films were currently running in theaters, of course it makes sense to release them as they become available individually....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks