What's new

Speaker Receiver set up combination (1 Viewer)

Vincentdel3

Auditioning
Real Name
vince del medico
I'm a college student who is looking to upgrade my current speaker/receiver set up. I have a hodge podge of speakers I was given by my dad that I'm trying to utilize and am asking this to make sure i'm buying the right components.

Currently I have a marantz stereo which I've been told was good quality back in the day. It has two 170 watt speakers sets (12" woofer, 5"midrange 3" Tweeter 8 Ohm) hooked up to the PM-432 Integrated Amplifier from the set. However the amp's second set of speaker hookups, B system, is broken. I also have two MCS 8320 linear phase speakers 8 Ohms, a optimus unpowered subwoofer and one generic sanyo speaker from a shelf cd player.

I want to buy a receiver that will power both the marantz and MCS large speakers. After looking at Best Buy and only seeing items geared towards home theatre and not loud party music I'm leaning toward this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-482

With this I will be able to power both sets near their maximum loudness or will the 240w rating this amp has be reduced to 120 watts with all four speakers hooked up?

Also if the amp exceeds the speaker watt rating does this put them at risk of "blowing"? versus if it was less than the speaker's rating?

If anyone can answer this or suggest a better item please do ( thats why I included the extra audio eq I have). And the audio source will be a ipod definitely.

Also because the house is a large 8 person house for parties we were planing on wiring these four throughout the first floor and is why we wanted all 4 speakers being powered.

Thank you very much and apologies for my ignorance if i misused terms.

Vince

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It looks like that Pyle is a stereo receiver too. So unless you were thinking of wiring the Pyle to the Marantz using the pre-out (running both amps) you'll be in the same boat. Personally, I'd look for a single 5.1/7.1 receiver; although for the money, the dual solution may be your best option. (What you don't want to do is run two or more speakers from a single channel.)

For most people, having too little amp power is more of a problem than too little. but since your planning on cracking it up near the limit, then yes, you do have to worry about the amp's max power relative to the speaker's power limit.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Vince, you might get better advice and info from a mobile DJ forum... or somethin'

tjohnusa

Agent
Real Name
Terry John
Since that Pyle is rated to 2ohms this may suit what you want. If each speaker is 8ohm than hook up two speakers in parallel for each left and right channel. This will put a 4ohm load on the amp giving you the 450watts per channel. to do this take 1 of the 12" and 1 of the MCS speakers, twist together the positives and hook up to the receiver and then do the same with the negatives and repeat for the other side. Good luck and hope your house doesn't catch on fire! Rock On

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks