What's new

Sound Dynamics Thunder Series THS-3000 Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Val_r

Auditioning
Hey guys. I have the Sound Dynamics Thunder Series THS-3000 subwoofer above that I bought a couple years back from a friend, however the thing keeps blowing fuses. I am thinking that it's the power supply to the sub and am trying to replace it, however the company is not around anymore and nobody has ANY information about the sub. If anyone has any idea what type of power supply I need, knows whether it's the power supply at all, or has any information about the sub at all, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Val,

Does it blow fuses immediately each time you turn it *on*...or do the fuses blow only when the subwoofer is trying to reproduce loud bass?

Tom V.
SVS

Val_r

Auditioning
hey tom, thanks for the reply
what happens is, i will replace the fuse and the sub will work great for a time period between 5 minutes and an hour or so. then it just randomly blows. it's not anything like a specific loud bass kick or peak, just completely random

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
Well if the company no longer exists, and you dont know what the problem is. Why not just buy a new amp? Im sure partsexpress has one to suit your needs.

Val_r

Auditioning
tha amp and PS are all onboard the sub. please bear with me as i am fairly new to the home theater field. my thing is guitars.
looking at the amp it says it's a 150 watt mosfet amplifier, and has a lp filter, phase, and some sort of an eq built into it
however before buying a new amp i would like to confirm that it's not the power supply.
thanks

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
sound dynamics is made by API. if you cant find any info on sound dynamics(which is now Athena), you can find info on them from www.miragespeakers.com they are from the same parent company API.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Benihana is correct, Sound Dynamics was phased out and replaced by the Athena line. The chief designer is Gordo Van Kessel, owned by Audio Products International, they also make Energy as well as Mirage. You can contact them at 716-896-9801 , API National Service 203 Eggert Rd. Buffalo, NY 14215. They still stock parts for the Sound Dynamics line . I ordered a replacement grill from them and currently have a speaker being repaired, under warranty, by them.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Wow, sounds like you may be in luck after all Val..:)

If it turns out that they cannot help, please email me at SVS techsupport. We might be able to troubleshoot that problem a little further for you.

Tom V.
SVS

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I received my speaker back today . They replaced the woofer at no charge. The speakers had a 5 year warranty and I had my original sales receipt.I paid $8 to ship it to them and they paid return shipping. This is the only warranty issue, in over ten years of owning various API speakers, I am very satisfied in their handling of the repair. Turnaround was just under two weeks.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, all of API's speaker companyies are very helpful. Out of both the pairs of Mirage speakers that I bought, Mirage sent me spikes and panel dongs for free. Great service, I'm sure you will have no problem with sound dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.