Snow Day (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
David Willow said:
Hey Sam, I will be in Chicago the first week of May. I'm staying at the Sheraton just off Lake Shore Drive. Are you familiar with the area? Any recommendations on places to eat?
The "everything you can think of" street is North Clark.

Pizza...Giordano's.

Indian. American "hot" or Indian hot?

Greek food. Many. Not a bad one.

Burgers. Kuma. That's a Burger.

Breakfast. Toast. Get the "French Toast Orgy"

There is so much great food in Chicago.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
David Willow said:
Thanks. I will be 15 minute walk from North Clark and Toast It and 10 minutes from Giordano's. I will eat well. ;)
The best dogs...

Walk into any, pretty much, hole in the wall. Everybody sells Vienna(with the rare place providing Nathan's). Nobody does a bad dog.

Loaded Chicago style...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
There was a time not that long ago -- a time I like to call the late 1980s -- when you couldn't get a Chicago dog at O'Hare, only an embarrassing nondescript piece of shit. They eventually allowed a couple of carts in one of the concourses, and the dogs were to die for. Don't know the current status, but I trust civilization has prevailed.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
David Willow said:
I always get a hot dog when I'm at O'Hare. I have been there many times - just never left the airport before. :D
Just make sure you go to Weber Grill. There is one not too far from O'Hare and one downtown.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Dennis Nicholls said:
The country is divided east from west.
The divide is still going on. I checked and it's presently snowing in upstate NY. It was sunny and warm with highs around 75* F today here in Boise.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This winter in mid-Michigan, I experienced less snow than any year except my college years in Tennessee. The most amount of snow we had from one storm was 6.5 inches. As cold as it was this pass winter, the lack of snow was unexpected and a welcome circumstance.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
This winter in mid-Michigan, I experienced less snow than any year except my college years in Tennessee. The most amount of snow we had from one storm was 6.5 inches. As cold as it was this pass winter, the lack of snow was unexpected and a welcome circumstance.

I would have been happy to send some of our snow from Southeastern Michigan to you, Robert. I still have a couple of small piles in our backyard that have not melted yet. We did not get it as bad as last winter, but still had above average snowfall - including one storm that dumped about 16 inches on Super Bowl Sunday. Plus it was bitterly cold for most of the winter -- my car's outside temperature went as low as -18F!

We had snow flurries yesterday, too, and it is only 17F as I write this. I thought it was supposed to be Spring?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I live in central Arkansas and we had a warmer winter than usual. Usually we get a bad ice storm every year which cripples the entire state for a few days. This year we would get a couple of inches of snow then the temp would warm into the 50s or 60s by the next day.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Here in Albany, it fell below freezing at the New Year, and basically stayed that way until mid-March. This is the coldest winter I can remember.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Robert Crawford said:
I envy you!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Here in Albany, it fell below freezing at the New Year, and basically stayed that way until mid-March. This is the coldest winter I can remember.

Exactly. Although I put the last three winters in that extreme, extended cold category.

This year, March came in like a lion and is leaving like a lion...

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I don't complain about the temperature as long as there's none of that nasty you-know-what involved. In fact, I feel I can FINALLY get the snow tires removed.

(I said that early last week and got my comeuppance on Friday. Those tires got me home from the local train station at 1:45 in the morning after a day in NYC.)

But enough is enough. Yes, the last three winters were all notable for various things, but the constant arctic temperature this year has been something else entirely.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, forget it. Strike that. Just shut my mouth.

I looked at the weather sites, and we could see half an inch today or tonight. And maybe even some wet snow on Monday.

I officially give up.

Wake me up when it's over.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just checked.

The average temperatures in Albany for the months of December, January, February and March for 2014 & 2015 were each below 20-degrees.

For those same months in 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013, they were all above 20-degrees.

Amazingly in March 2010, the average temperature in Albany was 41.7-degrees. This year, 19.8.

If you want to check your own area...usclimatedata.com.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
I would have been happy to send some of our snow from Southeastern Michigan to you, Robert. I still have a couple of small piles in our backyard that have not melted yet. We did not get it as bad as last winter, but still had above average snowfall - including one storm that dumped about 16 inches on Super Bowl Sunday. Plus it was bitterly cold for most of the winter -- my car's outside temperature went as low as -18F!

We had snow flurries yesterday, too, and it is only 17F as I write this. I thought it was supposed to be Spring?
That was the storm that we got 6.5 inches compared to your 16 inches.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
A lot of flurrying and light snowing throughout the day and evening, but only the coldest surfaces got even a dusting. But man, the temperature and the winds! It had more the feeling of the coming of winter, not the leaving of it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Chilly, with a dusting last week, but no recurrence of major snow. Thankfully. I left Rochester for a reason :)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Here in Atlanta we're pretty much in full Spring mode with tulips and the pear and redbud trees blooming. Then, last night, it got down to freezing. I had to cover all the new plants I just put out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks