What's new

Snowed In for the New Year (2023) (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For the New Year, my little town of Hawthorne, NV got dumped on with snow (you may have heard of the major snow storm that put Jeremy Renner in the hospital). Another storm came in the next day, leaving a total of six inches and neighborhood streets have turned to ice (the county does not plow or salt the roads here, leaving the two main highways up to NDOT to maintain). Still, chains are currently required on the main highway, so our usual one hour trip each way for physical therapy has been postponed until Thursday, when another storm is due to arrive. In the five years that I have lived here, I have never seen this much snow all at once.

1672773719865.png

1672773752607.png

1672773776790.png

1672773802201.png

1672773840593.png

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
With all the snow and ice, it will be awhile until I take down those Christmas lights and bows.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Wow! Being as far south of Tahoe I wouldn't expect this much snow there. I don't know how you do it. I remember driving from San Jose to Reno back in the day and even that was an adventure.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Wow! Being as far south of Tahoe I wouldn't expect this much snow there. I don't know how you do it. I remember driving from San Jase to Reno back in the day and even that was an adventure.
We normally don't get any snow, and if we do, usually just a light powder that quickly melts. Hawthorne is high desert (elev. 4300 ft), so we usually have mild winter days and cold winter nights, typically a 40+ degree swing. We are barely getting above 35 all week, so that snow will be here for awhile. I just wish they would plow and salt the neighborhood streets to make it easier to get out to the store (or for some, work) that do not own 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hang in there, Todd. Hopefully some warmer weather will head your way soon to melt some of that.

Here in Michigan it's 47 degrees today, and is supposed to be 50+ tomorrow. If it wasn't raining, I would be tempted to hit the local golf course.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
We normally don't get any snow, and if we do, usually just a light powder that quickly melts. Hawthorne is high desert (elev. 4300 ft), so we usually have mild winter days and cold winter nights, typically a 40+ degree swing. We are barely getting above 35 all week, so that snow will be here for awhile. I just wish they would plow and salt the neighborhood streets to make it easier to get out to the store (or for some, work) that do not own 4 wheel drive vehicles.
I know the feeling. ATL has a similar approach. Since snow is a relative rarity here, when it does show up, they are never prepared and the populace suffers. Our last major snow event was 2014. I spent 16 hours trying to get home from work that day and was ultimately [like many others] forced to leave my car on the freeway shoulder, walk to a nearby hotel and sleep in the lobby as there were no rooms available at any price.

Here's an article from back then. Nowadays if I see a single snow flurry I stop whatever I'm doing and hightail it home.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Hawthorne looks quite beautiful. Hope everyone is doing okay there. This is Victorville, Ca high desert at about 3000 feet elevation. Cold and windy today but no snow on the ground. Yet. More storms coming tonight.

reduced quality.jpg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Hawthorne looks quite beautiful. Hope everyone is doing okay there. This is Victorville, Ca high desert at about 3000 feet elevation. Cold and windy today but no snow on the ground. Yet. More storms coming tonight.

View attachment 169368
Is that Hwy 395? I have taken that road many times when we travel back to Southern California.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Is that Hwy 395? I have taken that road many times when we travel back to Southern California.
Dos Palmas Street (runs East West). Hwy 395 (runs North South) is just out of sight in the background. View is looking South West toward Mt. Baldy (Mt. San Antonio to non-locals). Picture taken at sun rise. The houses in the background are on the west side of highway 395 running parallel.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I know the feeling. ATL has a similar approach. Since snow is a relative rarity here, when it does show up, they are never prepared and the populace suffers. Our last major snow event was 2014. I spent 16 hours trying to get home from work that day and was ultimately [like many others] forced to leave my car on the freeway shoulder, walk to a nearby hotel and sleep in the lobby as there were no rooms available at any price.

Here's an article from back then. Nowadays if I see a single snow flurry I stop whatever I'm doing and hightail it home.

OMG I remember that! I think we got about a foot of snow that winter which is about 11” more than we normally get in Central Arkansas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks