What's new

Site is Sloooow to load lately for me (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIUC everything on the page is hosted by the HTF server EXCEPT for the banner adverts.

The advertising server or servers are hosted elsewhere. It would appear to me that the "handshake" from the HTF software isn't working correctly, and the system hangs while waiting to receive the adverts from the advertising server(s). Apparently there's no watchdog clock on this handshake software.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dennis,

The issue is just a javascript that the advertising network wrote that is misbehaving. Our server doesn't really handshake with anything, it just loads a small frame and the code is all from the ad network. If their code tries to do something that doesn't work, it can freeze.

That's basically what is going on. We are waiting for them to fix it.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Dennis Nicholls said:
IIUC everything on the page is hosted by the HTF server EXCEPT for the banner adverts.

The advertising server or servers are hosted elsewhere. It would appear to me that the "handshake" from the HTF software isn't working correctly, and the system hangs while waiting to receive the adverts from the advertising server(s). Apparently there's no watchdog clock on this handshake software.
I think this is correct. I was just watching the slow response on the "David Matychuk's Content" screen every time I'd come back from checking an item. Until the ads reloaded, everything was unresponsive.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The ad code is definitely what is causing the issue, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with the HTF software. Our server is only involved in the beginning.

We have tried a work around as of last night, so please let us know if the problem persists this morning.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Dave Upton said:
The ad code is definitely what is causing the issue, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with the HTF software. Our server is only involved in the beginning.

We have tried a work around as of last night, so please let us know if the problem persists this morning.

Yes, still happening.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Dave Upton said:

I usually visit sites with Ghostery filtering web bugs, scripts, ads etc, (sorry, I know that's revenue), as they are often the culprt. I leave on web analytics as a primary owner tool to monitor site performance, usage, but turn off things identified as ads. I usually have to pause it for forum searches to work on some sites....

Okay, enough background. I just paused Ghostery filtering to do a thread search, clicked into one of the results, the page stopped scrolling or responding, and Firefox 37.0.1 complained that a script was taking too long, offered to stop it or debug it.

http://cdn.static.zdbb.net/js/walker-min.js:1

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
?:} 5.1, yes, but Lollipop's been out for months. I usually use Tapatalk, so these script-on-the-web issues don't hit me very often.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ChromeJob said:
?:} 5.1, yes, but Lollipop's been out for months. I usually use Tapatalk, so these script-on-the-web issues don't hit me very often.
I wouldnt exactly call February(T-Mobile) and March (AT&T)..."months".

Especially since VZW didn't start the rollout till Monday.

Update. I still have issues when there are new posts. It is like clicking on thread 8,which "is now 9", is broken.

Closing the app and reopening is must faster with no hangups.

Chrome and Firefox via the phone are good now. Not sure when the G Pad gets Lollipop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks