What's new

Press Release Shout Factory Press Release: ALF: The Complete Series (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

eca92689-1ed0-412b-a1c5-c02a1011bc91.jpg
HIDE YOUR CATS! THE 24-DISC SET ALF: THE COMPLETE SERIES (DELUXE EDITION) CRASH LANDS ON DVD FROM SHOUT! STUDIOS ON OCTOBER 17​
5a791123-c253-4d8c-aa4f-dc6fe97717c7.jpg

Los Angeles, CA - Everyone’s favorite wise-cracking alien from Melmac, Gordon Shumway — better known to Earthlings as ALF — will crash-land onto DVD on October 17th with ALF: The Complete Series (Deluxe Edition), from Shout! Studios.

This definitive 24-disc collection includes every episode of this interstellar hit series, restored to their original broadcast length for the first time in 30 years. It also includes the 1996 film Project: ALF starring Martin Sheen, and all 47 episodes of Saturday morning’s ALF: The Animated Series and ALF Tales! Never has a collection been so out of this world! Special features will be announced at a later date.

ShoutFactory.com will have the sets available for pre-order beginning July 19, 2023, to celebrate the first day of 2023 Comic-Con International: San Diego (if you’re in town, stop by the SDCC booth for an exclusive ALF gift while supplies last)!

Additionally, ShoutFactory.com will be offering three exclusive bundles:​

· ALF: The Complete Series (Deluxe Edition) + Poster + Prism Sticker
· ALF: The Complete Series (Deluxe Edition) + Poster + Prism Sticker + Vinyl
· ALF: The Complete Series (Deluxe Edition) + Poster + Prism Sticker + Vinyl + Enamel Pins + Lunch Box + Melmac Rock

Created by Tom Patchett (The Carol Burnett Show) and Paul Fusco (Puppeteer & Voice of ALF), ALF (short for “Alien Life Form”) follows a hilarious cat-eating alien who crash lands into the garage of the Tanner family. ALF ran for four far out seasons on NBC from 1986 – 1990. A 1980s pop culture icon, ALFstill has a substantial following today, though not among the general cat population.

*The episode “Try To Remember” has been edited for content, but represents the best existing version.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I tried watching that show when it first came on and...it's just not for me. Always happy to see TV series coming out on home media, though! Why was that episode mentioned above "edited for content."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I tried watching that show when it first came on and...it's just not for me. Always happy to see TV series coming out on home media, though! Why was that episode mentioned above "edited for content."
Because people are stupid.

(from Wikipedia) For the hour-long season 1 episode, "Try to Remember," originally broadcast on February 9, 1987, ALF tries to simulate a jacuzzi by bringing Kate's electric mixer into the bathtub, thus receiving an electrical shock that caused amnesia. Fusco ended the original episode with a public service announcement from ALF himself, warning of the dangers of mixing water and electricity. Despite this, NBC reported that a child attempted to recreate the scenario and nearly electrocuted himself in the process (Fusco confirmed that the child was unharmed); Fusco was forced to refilm the opening sequence, replacing the electric mixer with a manual egg beater. ALF's amnesia is instead caused by a cranial concussion received after slipping in the shower (a "thud" is heard rather than a "zap"), with all mentions of being shocked either overdubbed with new dialogue or deleted entirely (including ALF's public service announcement). This edited version was used for a Fall 1988 rebroadcast, as well as all future U.S. and Canadian syndicated airings.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Never knew that Shout!'s DVD label was now called Shout! Studios.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Love this series. Pretty happy with the original DVDs. Animated series sounds like a wonderful extra. And uncut (mostly) sounds really good! However, blu ray would have been a reason to really get excited. Wishlisting and waiting for the drop.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I have fond memories of the series and character, though I can’t say we were devoted watchers. Question: Is it really that much more expensive to press Blu-rays instead of DVDs? Or is this the case that there aren’t HD elements being transferred to justify a HD release? I agree, I’d be more interested in a Blu-ray release of really any of the vintage TV sets 50s onward.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The biggest impediment to this series being released on Blu-Ray is that it was taped, not filmed.

Although several BBC shows have now been released, it does require a lot more effort (and cost) to uprezz the show. You can’t just rescan at a higher resolution, because there isn’t a native higher resolution to begin with

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I was a casual viewer, as I was with most 80s shows. But if these are done properly and I can get rid of my German PAL set as well as my VHS transfers, I'll be happy. My big question is if these are going to be encoded the right way so you can see its videotape or will they screw with it, like Rowan and Martin's Laugh In and other series where they ruined the image by giving them a fake film look.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I have no problem with the way Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In looks. There also seems to be a lot of conflicting or misinformation online. One person who posted on the Laugh-In thread discussing this says it looks the way it should look and wrote: I worked in broadcasting for over 20 years as a director of commercials and programs with extensive hands on experience with various tape machine formats. For at least half that time we mastered on 2" video tape (Ampex machines - the same model most of the networks used). I know how it should look.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
eca92689-1ed0-412b-a1c5-c02a1011bc91.jpg
HIDE YOUR CATS! THE 24-DISC SET ALF: THE COMPLETE SERIES (DELUXE EDITION) CRASH LANDS ON DVD FROM SHOUT! STUDIOS ON OCTOBER 17​
5a791123-c253-4d8c-aa4f-dc6fe97717c7.jpg

ALFstill has a substantial following today, though not among the general cat population​

The cat populace must be planning a boycott on Alf. They found the program insensitive to the feline contingent of the country, and degrading to their species, especially since ALF and his people, ate their kind.

==jthree

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Have to admit I'm more of a fan of the animated Alf and Alftales series, than the live action program. How Fusco and others added some commentary on the cartoons. Love to hear some recollections on how the Saturday Morning series was put together and their voice crew.

--jthree

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Wow never thought I'd see this. If this were released a few years ago I probably would have jumped on it. I do find the original edited DVD's annoying but I'm not really that big enough of a fan of the show to re-buy. Plus I rarely but TV DVD sets these days. I'm just shocked Shout is still in the business of TV on DVD apparently.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Because people are stupid.

(from Wikipedia) For the hour-long season 1 episode, "Try to Remember," originally broadcast on February 9, 1987, ALF tries to simulate a jacuzzi by bringing Kate's electric mixer into the bathtub, thus receiving an electrical shock that caused amnesia. Fusco ended the original episode with a public service announcement from ALF himself, warning of the dangers of mixing water and electricity. Despite this, NBC reported that a child attempted to recreate the scenario and nearly electrocuted himself in the process (Fusco confirmed that the child was unharmed); Fusco was forced to refilm the opening sequence, replacing the electric mixer with a manual egg beater. ALF's amnesia is instead caused by a cranial concussion received after slipping in the shower (a "thud" is heard rather than a "zap"), with all mentions of being shocked either overdubbed with new dialogue or deleted entirely (including ALF's public service announcement). This edited version was used for a Fall 1988 rebroadcast, as well as all future U.S. and Canadian syndicated airings.
As Mark Twain said, "Nothing is foolproof because the fools are so ingenious."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm very excited with news about this one. Watching this on Monday nights in 1986/87 with MacGyver was my childhood, and I remember if fondly. It actually may be my all time favorite TV night/line up of all time as I was very young when The Incredible Hulk, and Dukes of Hazard played on Friday nights.

I never bought Alf on DVD as I heard the cuts were pretty bad, and being one of my favorite shows from back then, I don't think I could take it.

I have had MacGyver on Blu-Ray for months but have yet to really get into it. No better way to watch it now, than paired with Alf in broadcast airdate order back to back.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have no problem with the way Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In looks. There also seems to be a lot of conflicting or misinformation online. One person who posted on the Laugh-In thread discussing this says it looks the way it should look and wrote: I worked in broadcasting for over 20 years as a director of commercials and programs with extensive hands on experience with various tape machine formats. For at least half that time we mastered on 2" video tape (Ampex machines - the same model most of the networks used). I know how it should look.
And I worked in broadcasting for 40 years and have been collecting television shows for longer than that. I know how it should look too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks