What's new

Setting up my new system (1 Viewer)

AndreaY

Auditioning
Ok, I waited and read and read as much as I could so I could make my questions as educated and clear as possible. That being said, here goes.

I just replaced my Yamaha receiver which stopped working a few years ago (sound goes in and out and if you hit the machine comes back on!). I got another Yamaha (5840) and still have all the speakers (5.1) set up. I also just purchased a DVD-RW/VCR combo so now I will have one less thing to hook up. Got the TV a few months ago Toshiba HDTV (forgot the model#). And I have a cable box DVR.

Before setting up my new receiver, I ordered an HDMI cable and some opitcal cables from ebay (thanks to reading on here saved myself major $$)

My goal: to be able to watch (and hear) the TV, and possibly dvds/tapes with or without the receiver being on. (the last few years it was so complicated that visitors or babysitters would have to call us every time)

My plan: HDMI from cable to TV
Components from cable to receiver
Optical from cable to receiver
Components (or svideo?) from DVD/VCR to receiver
Optical from DVD/VCR to receiver
Components (or Svideo)from DVD/VCR straight to TV

Will this give me what I want? I would have to change the TV video setting from HDMI to Component when watching DVDs and then I would get video and sound as though I had no receiver, then turn the receiver on for surround sound when I want it.

am i making life easier? or more complicated?
will I be able to record onto DVD or VHS things that I saved on the DVR?
Will I be able to record onto DVD or VHS straight from cable (not likely to be necessary due to the DVR)?

Thank you SO much!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Andrea!

Not sure why this is needed if you’re running HDMI between the cable box and the TV. The only reason to run video to the receiver is if you want it to do your video switching.

It does look like your proposal will get you what you want, to be able to watch TV or DVD’s without turning on the whole system.

As to whether or not that will simply your daily use, you'll have to be the judge of that. You could have gone a long way towards ease of operation if you had chosen a receiver with a remote that could run macros. That way you would have a one-button function to turn on the complete system and set it up for the component you want to use, and afterwards return the system to a “default” setting for watching TV with the system off.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Look into getting a Harmony remote control. The models 676 and 880 have $50 rebates now. I've seen the 676 for as little as $50 (after rebate). I ordered the 880 for $127 (after rebate) a few days ago.

They are event based remotes. Just press the Watch TV button and everything is configured for watching TV. It does require some setup but from what I've read, it's not that difficult and worth it in the long run.

-Robert

AndreaY

Auditioning
Thanks for the info- i had just read about those remotes the other day. maybe i'll set up my system and then look into buying one of those next.

thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks