What's new

Most Basic AV Receiver to TV Connection (1 Viewer)

PhillySoccer617

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandro
We just bought a Sony TV to replace our projector. We have surround sound system installed already. I just need to know how to connect the AV receiver to TV for audio. I have not been able to figure it out.
The receiver I have is a Yamaha RX-V479.
I tried connecting HDMI cable from HDMI "out" from the receiver to HDMI connection on TV but that didn't work. Appreciate any basic guidance.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you are trying to get sound from the TV to the receiver then you would either have to use the optical port from the TV to an optical input on the Yamaha and configure both devices to use the optical inputs.

Conversely, you could use eARC if you have an HDMI port on both units that are designated for an eARC connection. eARC can be a headache because it has been a poorly implemented standard on consumer electronics. In fact, calling it a "standard" is being generous.

PhillySoccer617

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandro
Ok thank you very much. New tv has eARC but not sure if receiver does. I’ll buy optical Much appreciated.

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Your Yamaha receiver has ARC in the HDMI out port (label above the port). Connect that to your TV's HDMI eARC port and the audio from your TV apps will be sent to your receiver.

PhillySoccer617

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandro
Your Yamaha receiver has ARC in the HDMI out port (label above the port). Connect that to your TV's HDMI eARC port and the audio from your TV apps will be sent to your receiver.
That was first thing I tried. On receiver it is labeled hdmi out but it is not labeled ARC so assume that was why it didn’t work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As Edwin stated, optical is just more reliable and you’ll get the same audio quality. You will have to configure the input in the receiver.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The HDMI output on your receiver supports ARC; however, to use it you have to turn HDMI control on and enable ARC. Page 114 of your receiver manual shows how to turn on HDMI control. The default setting for ARC is on if HDMI control is enabled. See pages 85 and 19 of your receiver manual. An ARC compatible HDMI cable needs to be used. The RX-V479 AV2 input is the default input for audio from the TV, so make sure AV2 is the input showing when watching RV audio.

Plugging an external device into AV2 will require a person to manually change the input assignment if TV audio is desired. See page 115 of your manual for info on ARC.

The TV may also have to have ARC enabled. Doing all of this might or might not work. Optical connection is probably the most simple and reliable method.

I'm only using ARC because my receiver will not pass 4K 120Hz, so I have connected my PS5 directly to the TV and pass the audio to my Yamaha via ARC.

I only got ARC to work by connecting my old Samsung 4K blu-ray player to my receiver. The TV and receiver would not recognize each other without it. It was a PITA to get it working. Even now there are issues where the sound will revert back to the internal TV speakers on its own, requiring me to HDMI ARC output from my LG's TV settings menu.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Optical is the worst for audio formats and therefore is highly recommended to be avoided unless it's the last option on earth.

You need hdmi arc at a minimum for Dolby digital plus support.

If you don't have arc working. It needs to be enabled on both the tv and receiver. And that the hdmi cable is in the arc ports on both the tv and receiver.

Hope this helps.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
One huge drawback with the X79 series (it was enough to turn me off of it) is they only have HDCP 2.2 on one of the inputs so if you're doing UHD on an external device you can only plug that device into the designated input or else it has to all go through the TV output via ARC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks