What's new

Newbie Seeking (1 Viewer)

Miltaryman

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolasanto Pu
I just bought a used 1991 DVD player (sony dvp-c670d) which doesn't have an hdmi port. I connected it to my Toshiba 55TL515U tv with a $9 rca to hdmi converter but the playback quality stinks (its not the dvd disc causing the poor quality). Is there a better option, within my connection capability choices between the 2 devices(images attached), that I should do? Thanks

Attachments

• g05255TL515-o_detail.jpeg
    g05255TL515-o_detail.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 33
  • x158DVPC670-B.jpeg
    x158DVPC670-B.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 34

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It sounds like you don’t want to hear it, but I think your only good option is to buy a disc player that isn’t over 30 years old. If you’re only interested in playing DVDs, pretty much any player with an HDMI output will do. If you want something that will also handle Blu-ray and 4K UHD, the Panasonic DP-UB420 is the entry level model to beat.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Welcome to the forum.
Now, why are you buying a 30+ old dvd player and then being disappointed it doesn’t meet up to standards?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd want to try and use a player this old. But the best output on that player is probably the 3-part Component Out. I don't see any corresponding input on your display, so you may need to see if you can find an adapter for maybe Component to HDMI (if they make such a thing)? Maybe something like this?

I had an ancient blu-ray player (no HDMI out) hooked up to my mother's new-ish Vizio HDTV via Component cable for years and it looked very good (we just updated to a newer player which now has HDMI output).

Miltaryman

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolasanto Pu
Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd want to try and use a player this old. But the best output on that player is probably the 3-part Component Out. I don't see any corresponding input on your display, so you may need to see if you can find an adapter for maybe Component to HDMI (if they make such a thing)? Maybe something like this?

I had an ancient blu-ray player (no HDMI out) hooked up to my mother's new-ish Vizio HDTV via Component cable for years and it looked very good (we just updated to a newer player which now has HDMI output).
What's a component cable?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Look on the back of that player.

There are outs for component cables

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I doubt that TV has a component input anyway. Unfortunately, the image is so tiny, it's impossible to see what's there. However, it does appear to have a plug for an A/V "dongle" that should work with yellow composite video output on the player. The dongle is something like THIS, and connects to a set of yellow/red/white outputs on the player. Yellow is the video, and the others are audio.

However, as alluded to, you might want to try to find a player with an hdmi output, because it'll provide a significantly better image by keeping it in the digital domain instead of converting it to analog and back to digital.

Last edited:

Miltaryman

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolasanto Pu
For everyone badgering me about my dvd player choice: I am a military bedridden paraplegic who stepped on an IED & whose nurses aides get frustrated by constantly changing dvds, SO, I have a 5-disc player. I can't find any 5-disc players with an hdmi port. Let me know where they are. Now, back to civility: how are the (3) Pb/Pr/Y connections different than the regular red/white/yellow RCAs? And what are the "digital out" ports useful for ?

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 445.jpg
    445.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 23

Miltaryman

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolasanto Pu
With all the keyboard judgement and keyboard bravado youre cowardly showing, you NEVER tried to ADD to the discussion with helpful advice. That's why you're a punk. You can smirk all you want. Your 20+ yr tenure on here should be revoked. You've exhausted any keyboard Cheetos finger licking relativity you may have ever had.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With all the keyboard judgement and keyboard bravado youre cowardly showing, you NEVER tried to ADD to the discussion with helpful advice. That's why you're a punk. You can smirk all you want. Your 20+ yr tenure on here should be revoked. You've exhausted any keyboard Cheetos finger licking relativity you may have ever had.
Welcome to the forum and we want to thank you for your service and personal sacrifice. However, we don't allow personal attacks on this forum. Please, read our posting guidelines as we strive to maintain civil discourse on this forum. Name-calling and the lack of civility towards other HTF members doesn't help your quest to find a solution to your home theater problem.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome to HTF.

Looks like you are I. A bit of a pickle here as there aren’t any good options for you.

Most people would recommend a streaming box to defeat disk changing drudgery. I get that the issue is cost of new gear and sunk cost into dvd libraries. I’ve helped a few friends upgrade through used purchases over eBay, Craigslist and even Goodwill, but you are right, there aren’t components that will get you either swappable disks or magically transform your disk library to streams.

What I’d recommend is a good modern single disk player, a used flat panel, and a Roku. The disk player will be a chore but you don’t lose your library. The streamer will get you new content that is easy to jump from episode to episode, and the cost of whatever subscription(s) make most sense.

I am sorry there aren’t better solutions for you.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I did find this Sony 5 Disc DVD player on Amazon that appears to have an HDMI output. It's not a great price for a DVD player at $128, and there is only one in stock. However, it does appear that Sony did make a 5 disc changer with HDMI at one point. Maybe Ebay has it cheaper.

I would keep in mind, though, that these carousel type of players have a tendency to break down more often than a single disc player, so any player this old is a risky proposition. I owned two different Sony 5 disc carousel CD players many years ago -- and one was their upscale ES brand. In both cases, the carousel mechanism died after a few years of use. The gears used to move the carousel appeared to be made of cheap plastic that just didn't hold up well to long term use.

Last edited:

Miltaryman

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolasanto Pu
I did find this Sony 5 Disc DVD player on Amazon that appears to have an HDMI output. It's not a great price for a DVD player at $128, and there is only one in stock. However, it does appear that Sony did make a 5 disc changer with HDMI at one point. Maybe Ebay has it cheaper.

I would keep in mind, though, that these carousel type of players have a tendency to break down more often than a single disc player, so any player this old is a risky proposition. I owned two different Sony 5 disc carousel CD players many years ago -- and one was their upscale ES brand. In both cases, the carousel mechanism died after a few years of use. The gears used to move the carousel appeared to be made of cheap plastic that just didn't hold up well to long term use.
great, an hdmi option , thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks