What's new

Seating and the like (1 Viewer)

RichardCush

Auditioning
Wow - great forum.

Ok, simply question for the experts: The Entertainment room I am building is faily limited in size. When its all said and done, the primary seating area (couch) will be exactly 8 feet from the TV Screen. Is there such a thing as getting too big of a TV (am thinking Plasma...definately Plasma) for the viewing configuration? Would love to get a 50" but worry that its too big for the space.

Love to hear other people's experiences with this.

RichardCush

Auditioning
Wow - great forum.

Ok, simply question for the experts: The Entertainment room I am building is faily limited in size. When its all said and done, the primary seating area (couch) will be exactly 8 feet from the TV Screen. Is there such a thing as getting too big of a TV (am thinking Plasma...definately Plasma) for the viewing configuration? Would love to get a 50" but worry that its too big for the space.

Love to hear other people's experiences with this.

LARUE

Stunt Coordinator
I think "the rule of thumb" is have your seating at least twice the width of the set.

LARUE

Stunt Coordinator
I think "the rule of thumb" is have your seating at least twice the width of the set.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think if you look through old threads you'll find one covering your question in some depth, right down to a mathematical formula.

However, I'd say that it's a matter of personal taste. I would find a 50" screen overpowering from that distance. Also bear in mind that large screens will inevitably reveal deficits when seen from that close. And you've got to feel comfortable viewing the screen. Whilst sitting close to a big screen has an immediate 'wow!' factor, over a long time period, you might find it rather tiring.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think if you look through old threads you'll find one covering your question in some depth, right down to a mathematical formula.

However, I'd say that it's a matter of personal taste. I would find a 50" screen overpowering from that distance. Also bear in mind that large screens will inevitably reveal deficits when seen from that close. And you've got to feel comfortable viewing the screen. Whilst sitting close to a big screen has an immediate 'wow!' factor, over a long time period, you might find it rather tiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks