What's new

IDENTIKIT (aka THE DRIVER'S SEAT) starring Elizabeth Taylor coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Severin Films will release the 1974 film IDENTIKIT (aka THE DRIVER'S SEAT) starring Elizabeth Taylor (and with a cameo by Andy Warhol) on Blu-ray, as part of its upcoming five-disc "House of Psychotic Rarities Collection" on October 25, 2022. The other titles are "I Like Bats" (1986), "Footprints"(1975), and "The Other Side of the Underneath" (1972). More information on the set can be found on Severin's website.

1658186218741.png

In what remains the most obscure, bizarre and wildly misunderstood film of her entire career – and perhaps even ‘70s Italian cinema – Elizabeth Taylor stars as a disturbed woman who arrives in Rome to find a city fragmented by autocratic law, leftist violence and her own increasingly unhinged mission to find the most dangerous liaison of all. Academy Award® nominee Ian Bannen (THE OFFENCE), Mona Washbourne (THE COLLECTOR) and Andy Warhol co-star in this “unique, hallucinatory neo noir” (Cult Film Freaks) – barely released in America as THE DRIVER’S SEAT – directed by Giuseppe Patroni Griffi (‘TIS PITY SHE’S A WHORE), adapted from the unnerving novella by Muriel Spark (The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie) and featuring cinematography by three-time Oscar® winner Vittorio Storaro (APOCALYPSE NOW, THE LAST EMPEROR), now restored in 4K by Cinematheque of Bologna and Severin Films.

Special Features:

• Introduction By Kier-La Janisse, Author Of House Of Psychotic Women
  • Audio Commentary With TCM Underground Curator Millie De Chirico
  • A Lack Of Absence — Writer And Literary Historian Chandra Mayor On Muriel Spark And The Driver's Seat
  • Trailer
Disc Specs:
  • Aspect Ratio: 1.85.1
  • Audio: English Mono / Italian Mono
  • Closed Captions / Optional English Subtitles
  • Region A
  • Runtime: 102 min

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Along with Reflections In A Golden Eye and XY&Z, the best of Elizabeth Taylor's post WAOVW? performances. It's a pity it's not being released on its own rather than in a box set.
Agreed! Not thrilled about having to purchase three films I have no interest in to get this, but I'm pleased that it's being rescued from PD hell. Never thought I'd see this one on Blu-ray!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm quite fond of Dame Elizabeth's post-WOOLF films, so I'm looking forward to getting this.
Speaking of her post-Virginia Woolf output, I was hoping that we would see Ash Wednesday through Kino's deal with Paramount. A member of another forum included it in a list of films they were interested in, but the KL Insider said none of them were part of the deal, although they'd asked for some of them.

Claude North

Second Unit
Along with Reflections In A Golden Eye and XY&Z, the best of Elizabeth Taylor's post WAOVW? performances. It's a pity it's not being released on its own rather than in a box set.
X, Y, & Z is a favorite. She has some terrific comedic moments mixed with the drama, and she seems to be having a blast in the role.

Speaking of her post-Virginia Woolf output, I was hoping that we would see Ash Wednesday through Kino's deal with Paramount. A member of another forum included it in a list of films they were interested in, but the KL Insider said none of them were part of the deal, although they'd asked for some of them.
I would enjoy seeing Ash Wednesday again. I believe it was released on VHS back in the day. I think there might be rights issues of some sort connected with the film. I still remember all the publicity surrounding the film when it was released.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I would enjoy seeing Ash Wednesday again. I believe it was released on VHS back in the day. I think there might be rights issues of some sort connected with the film. I still remember all the publicity surrounding the film when it was released.
Yes, there was a VHS. A few years ago when Olive was releasing Paramount films I asked them about Ash Wednesday and they confirmed that there was a rights issue holding up the release. I have a hunch that it has to do with the Ray Charles songs in the soundtrack. It's a shame, I'd love to see this in HD.
For post “Woolf”Liz, I also recommend Night Watch and The Only Game in Town.
While I'm not all that keen on The Only Game in Town, I love Night Watch and would probably include it in my top five Elizabeth Taylor films. Perhaps WAC will release it on Blu-ray one day. The DVD is quite nice.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
"Ash Wednesday", "The Taming of the Shrew" and "Elephant Walk". Taylor-wise, these are the three titles I yearn to see on Blu. I consider all of them fine films - and certainly prime showcases for their star.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
"Ash Wednesday", "The Taming of the Shrew" and "Elephant Walk". Taylor-wise, these are the three titles I yearn to see on Blu. I consider all of them fine films - and certainly prime showcases for their star.
I'd buy all three in a heartbeat! I'm surprised The Taming of the Shrew hasn't been released yet. Hopefully it's part of Kino's Sony deal. Paramount has been churning out a number of releases over the last two years, so we could see Elephant Walk from them at some point.

Claude North

Second Unit
I love Elephant Walk. For years, I was convinced that the film contained a shot of Elizabeth screaming, "My God! They're coming! The elephants are coming!" (I think I was conflating the film with Tippi Hedren's appearance in the trailer for The Birds and the climactic scene of Suddenly, Last Summer...) It's quite compelling, with it's man vs. nature theme. I have the DVD and should watch it again, as it has been a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks