What's new

A few words about...™ - Scarlet Street -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fritz Lang's 1945 Scarlet Street is based upon the same lit as Renoir's 1931 La Chienne, and may be considered a remake.

This is one of those films that's been locked in PD purgatory since (presumably) 1973, and therefore hasn't been seen in any prime form, unless you consider a horrific colorized version of interest.

The film holds up today, with Edward G. Robinson cast as the timid bookkeeper, who runs into femme fatale Joan Bennett and her "friend" Dan Duryea.

The new 4k, which fortuitously is not billed as a Restoration, is taken from a comp fine grain held by UCLA. The element is fine outside of minus density during the opening and either an element re-cut or a timing defect also during the main titles.

Other than that, the new 4k is fine with a single exception. The fine grain doesn't hold enough resolution to warrant 4k. I checked the accompanying Blu-ray, and while the grain structure is a bit more highly resolved in the 4k, there is no deal added, especially when one begins the discussion of those dastardly seating distances.

Density is a bit of a problem, as the differentiation between black and those levels just below lack any bit of air.

And yet, this is the nicest representation of the film that I've seen in decades, so kudos to Kino for making the effort.

Is 4k justified? I don't believe so, but at under $19 at street, you're actually not being charged for it. Just seems like a waste of the 4k production line, which could just as easily be used for the likes of Ben-Hur.

Image – 6 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 7 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 2

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Scarlet-Stre...06954097&sprefix=scarlet+street,aps,83&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Fritz Lang's 1945 Scarlet Street is based upon the same lit as Renoir's 1931 La Chienne, and may be considered a remake.

This is one of those films that's been locked in PD purgatory since (presumably) 1973, and therefore hasn't been seen in any prime form, unless you consider a horrific colorized version of interest.

The film holds up today, with Edward G. Robinson cast as the timid bookkeeper, who runs into femme fatale Joan Bennett and her "friend" Dan Duryea.

The new 4k, which fortuitously is not billed as a Restoration, is taken from a comp fine grain held by UCLA. The element is fine outside of minus density during the opening and either an element re-cut or a timing defect also during the main titles.

Other than that, the new 4k is fine with a single exception. The fine grain doesn't hold enough resolution to warrant 4k. I checked the accompanying Blu-ray, and while the grain structure is a bit more highly resolved in the 4k, there is no deal added, especially when one begins the discussion of those dastardly seating distances.

Density is a bit of a problem, as the differentiation between black and those levels just below lack any bit of air.

And yet, this is the nicest representation of the film that I've seen in decades, so kudos to Kino for making the effort.

Is 4k justified? I don't believe so, but at under $19 at street, you're actually not being charged for it. Just seems like a waste of the 4k production line, which could just as easily be used for the likes of Ben-Hur.

Image – 6 (Dolby Vision)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH
Much appreciated as always, but under $19? The Blu-ray is under $19, but the 4K is over $26. I already own Kino's previous Blu.

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Did Robinson ever give a bad performance? I can't name one.

Did Robinson ever give a bad performance? I can't name one.
He's been picked on for his role in The Ten Commandments but he pours his soul into it and is unforgettable. It was also a role that meant a lot to him as he was pretty much blacklisted for years prior. Complaining that his performance is over the top in DeMille's insanely over the top (and great) epic is ridiculous.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Image – 6 (Dolby Vision)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH
If you don't own it but want it, are should you pick the blu-ray over the 4K?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
He's been picked on for his role in The Ten Commandments but he pours his soul into it and is unforgettable. It was also a role that meant a lot to him as he was pretty much blacklisted for years prior. Complaining that his performance is over the top in DeMille's insanely over the top (and great) epic is ridiculous.
It also gave Robin Williams' one of his funniest lines on Johnny Carson: "Moses, I'm the big guy here, see?" But seriously, Edward G. is the only actor in the film who projects a consistent and believable personality, and manages to make those over-the-top lines seem like something that character might say. His body language has a logic and dramatic expression lacking from the rest of the film. In spite of his campy outfits, he's absolutely riveting. And he plays the kind of bottom feeder who was all too real a decade or so earlier. There's an intense intelligence, and larger than life aplomb. Think Brecht crossed with Shakespeare. And yes, it was a big deal for him, as he'd only been in low budget indies for a number of years, because of his liberal views. This was not only an A feature, but produced by the most anti-communist of anti-communists.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
If you have a 4k player.
There's a "meta" quality to SCARLET STREET that has lots of layers and nuances and that really elevates it. A slyly disguised metaphor - maybe even unconscious on Lang's part - about the struggles of an artist -in this case Chris Cross, the Edward G. Robinson character and I think Lang identifies with him. Having ones creativity stifled and not receiving credit. The obsessive quality of being an artist, stylization and visually representing "feelings" and of the unfair business end of art and authorship.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks

Image – 6 (Dolby Vision)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Scarlet-Street-4KUHD-4K-UHD/dp/B0CP4BTC4Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3H51VVD1EL11V&keywords=scarlet+street+4k&qid=1706954097&sprefix=scarlet+street,aps,83&sr=8-1
A 4k production line bottleneck isn't the issue, its the suits at Warner Brothers Discovery that are holding things up. Do you think the camera negative still exists? Can't remember what studio originally released this one. I'm a big Edward G. Robinson fan so this one has been on my list for a while. Saw the movie years ago and its stuck with me.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
So this on Blu-ray would be a significant upgrade from my Kino 2005 DVD "Newly Remastered from Archive Material Preserved by the Library Of Congress"?
Is the UCLA print superior to the LoC print?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A 4k production line bottleneck isn't the issue, its the suits at Warner Brothers Discovery that are holding things up. Do you think the camera negative still exists? Can't remember what studio originally released this one. I'm a big Edward G. Robinson fan so this one has been on my list for a while. Saw the movie years ago and its stuck with me.
It was a Universal production.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
So this on Blu-ray would be a significant upgrade from my Kino 2005 DVD "Newly Remastered from Archive Material Preserved by the Library Of Congress"?
Is the UCLA print superior to the LoC print?
The last Kino blu ray is miles better than anything that preceded it. A significant upgrade. You've read RH's opinions on the new 4k. Buy it.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
The SCARLET STREET 4K is definitely NOT an improvement. Kino's previous releases have been of the Library of Congress print which looks like it came from the camera negative. The new 4K appears to be from a dupe fine grain. The print itself is far too contrasty with hot spots galore. Also, the main title is carelessly upcut.

I would advise fans of the film to stick with the previous Kino blu-ray.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The SCARLET STREET 4K is definitely NOT an improvement. Kino's previous releases have been of the Library of Congress print which looks like it came from the camera negative. The new 4K appears to be from a dupe fine grain. The print itself is far too contrasty with hot spots galore. Also, the main title is carelessly upcut.

I agree. I find this 4K a disappointment compared to the early Kino Blu-ray.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram

I'm glad I asked the question. I'll add the previous Blu-ray to my Kino purchase list. Thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I agree. I find this 4K a disappointment compared to the early Kino Blu-ray.
I need a watch my 4K/UHD and then compare it to the 2012 Blu-ray. I’ll be watching my discs on a OLED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks