What's new

Samsung announces combo player (2 Viewers)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

It's hard for me to agree because my own experience says otherwise. I don't travel extensively and that may play a factor in my perception of portable media. I also have faulty eyesight (another factor) and truly can't imagine watching 25 minutes worth on content on a cell phone size screen.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
the apparent failure of umd would suggest that portable video is not a particular interest of the general public. while g3 phones have been a disaster for many mobile companies, in terms of the licenses they've been forced to pay governments for the bandwidth rights, vs the return on outlay they've received from joe public.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Personally I have no problem at all with the idea of 'HD' remaining a niche market like Laser Disc. I think that would insure that 'HD' does not get dumbed down to satisfy the masses. The most dreadful thought I have with HD going mainstream is that the studios might start releasing 'Fool Screen' releases of all 2.35:1 and/or wider than 16:9 movies.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

Really? Is that why it's almost impossible to buy a standalone SACD player, or a standalone DVD-A player, but there are quite a few manufacturers out there with universal players? ;)

Or, look at this way: how many of us use our DVD players to play CDs? CD existed for over 20 years before DVD came on the scene. Yet players that play both CD and DVD vastly outnumber CD-only players now. Yet there were literally millions of CD-only players out there first.

A lot of people want one machine to play everything. I only want to have to deal with one set of audio and video connections between any of my gear. That is impossible without a combo player. Rack space is another valid concern as well.

Frankly, I don't understand the opinion of combo players being a bad thing. More discs of both formats will sell.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
and how many millions of dedicated sacd or dvd-a players were sold before uni players became commonplace? the situation is not particular analoguous.

as to the cd and dvd convergance, that's an older tech being incorperated into a new one as a feature of occasional usefulness. cd licenses are now out of date, so there's no ongoing cost to the consumer to this inclusion, beyond some increadibly cheap optical focusing. not sure how many people play cds on their dvd players though, most i know listen to music on the go, or in clubs.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
The failure of UMD has little to do with portable video and more to do with the platform.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I wholeheartedly support dual-format players! I have a pile of disks in each format and am tired of switching connections because I have only 1 HDMI input and because my receiver is across the room and I want to run only one long audio cable. In the best of all worlds all players will be format-neutral and if Universal and the Sony Camp want to be parochial, then who cares? Maybe it will eventually force Sony to make multi-format players ;) . That would be a real selling point: "This player plays ALL HD disks while that one won't play some movies you might like." Best of all, that would obviate the need for Warner's combo disk, which I fear may have a multitude of drawbacks.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I was frimly in favour of the Warner THD disks until I started having problems with Universal Combos (COM, etc.) While the problem may not be the Combo, I am beginning to believe that Combo DVD/HD or BD/HD just adds additional complecation to the manufacturing process that lends itself to addition problems. I am with you, for me the fix is a Combo player. I am running out of HDMI ports.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
If the price comment is correct, this could be an exceptional buy.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
If this turns out to be true instead of just upgrading my Blu player in a year like I was planning I'll ditch both players a go with something like this. I budgeted $500 for a second or third gen Blu player so this fits the pocket book nicely as it will most likely street for less.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I just purchased a Panasonic BD player. I kind of wished I would have waited. Oh well, may XA2 and panny are great players.:)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
This price is shocking!

I did not expect the Samsung to street for the $1199 the LG currently sells for, but I thought it would've been at least $800. If Samsung can bring in a combo player which boasts full support for both formats at $600 (especially if the BD section matches the excellent BDP-1200), then maybe they could produce an HD-DVD only player for $200? I had been waiting for an affordable Universal player, so it looks like Samsung may deliver in spades. If this becomes a trend - and I hope it does, then those HD optical players over $500 will be an even tougher sell.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If this appears to be true, this will end the format war.
And start the format competition.

Of course 2 formats will still exist, but (a) in many cases we, the consumers, can choose whatever format we prefer for a certain release, and (b) in cases we won't get a choice, it doesn't matter that much.

The studios can start killing each other to choose the best format for a specific release, and/or bring out different versions on HD DVD / BD. Differently priced even.

I'll order one of these machines (perhaps even import one) when it arrives.

Cees

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am format neutral - it's many studios, that's who are not.
And a few fanboys and followers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is the player that I've waiting for which is why I haven't replaced my Samsung BR player. Having one player to play both formats would be very nice.

Crawdaddy

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see some more specs on this player before I get too excited. For example, how good is its upscaling, and, while it is most likely 1080p, can it do 1080p/24fps? A combo player for less than $600 that does everything all the other players do just as well seems a bit too good to be true. Also, the fact that it is a Samsung makes me a bit leary as well.

Anyway, we shall see. I hope it is everything everyone hopes for though.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I agree there may be some confusion here. Personally, I don't see how this unit is going to cost less than $900-1000.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I expected to see this player in the $700-800 range given the way Blu-ray and HD prices are falling but I'd be very shocked to see it below $600. Here's hoping it is though...

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I agree Brett.

If this is the case - and it looks this way to me from what you've posted, then it will cost around $1,000. If it matches the capabilites of the Tosh XA2 & Samsung BDP-1200, then it will be worth it. However, this price would still be far too high for mainstream acceptance. It would probably take a year or so for such a player to appear at the $600 price-point (considering the war isn't over by then).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks