What's new

Samsung announces combo player (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer

I saw that, it's only been available wide for a week, and only small amounts before that. That was fast. I waited and waited for this player, then came the Warner announcement and I figured it might not be worth the 800.00. I was excited about DTS MA and Dolby True through the analogs, and it doesn't do the DTS HD and there's only 2.0 stereo Dolby True (so far). I still wanted the Reon though. Oh well.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Disappointing news. I was waiting for that one too.

There were also some rumours that it wasn't faultlessly/completely supporting both formats. I don't know any details, though.

Apparently they will bring out a new one later this year, but I'm suspicious about the price of that "superior model". Perhaps the Denon will be a good alternative. Seems to be scheduled for Q2/Q3 as well.

Cees

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Cees, do you mean the Denon blu-ray player? Or are they doing a combo player? If they are, I would wonder if after May they would still consider it, because positions from Univeral and Paramount could change around that time or soon after (I stress "could"). I have pretty much given up on a combi player now, and since I was going to spend 800.00 on this one, I am considering the possibility of the Denon, Marantz or Pioneer (new model coming) or even the Panasonic bd50, which looks to have everything, internal decoders for DTS master and Dolby True with 7.1 analog outs.The sad part about it is that Panasonic seems to use a really bad upscaler (their own). Otherwise, it would be a perfect player for me, with 2.0 and all.

If the PS3 gets a DTS HD upgrade, then I am sticking with it. The upscaling of the PS3 is very close to the quality of the Reon, that's after using comparing the Panny bd-10a, bd-30, and Sony 300. The PS3 has remarkable upscaling ability.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There was serious talk of a combo-player. I was hoping both would be far enough in the pipe-lines to come through whatever happened. :)

This decision by Samsung seems to contradict that, although the "new" model could very well be an "upgraded" UP-BD5000, without possible flaws (and more expensive :thumbsdown: ).

I think this whole format "war" are still preliminaries (also given the market penetration), and both formats will continue to compete in the future. And I personally need a player in my HT, for a considerable time, that will play my HD DVDs!

Cees

RobertSiegel

Reviewer

I have read that the 5500 announced at CES does not have the internal decoders, but will send the bitsream high def audio through HDMI, plus the lack of the Reon. That model is out for me. One of the high points for me was the Reon and the 7.1 analog with internal decoding. I just wish a blu-ray player would come out that has everything I want. Panny bd50, as I said, is close but there's the upscaling that I think is terrible on the Panny blu-ray players. I am considering getting a Sammy 1200, which are going for $250, to use as an upscaling player, that has the Reon, and then going with the Panny BD50 for the 2.0 and 7.1 analogs with internal decoders. At this point I have lost interest in going hd-dvd. Looking at sales charts, and the latest player sales reports, it doesn't look good for hd-dvd and I hate to invest right now.

For those with hd-dvd libraries, and wanting to go blu as well, this seems like a good idea, the combi player, but they already have a hd-dvd player.

It's such a disappointment. I know you too, Cees, have been waiting for this player as far back as last summer like I have. To see it delayed so often and then discontinued so quickly, plus all the problems reported over at AVS forum on the owners thread, is a bummer. Samsung is saying the firmware is coming for owners for the soundtrack fixes, and if they are fixing the player with firmware, seems strange they are discontinuing it. It must be the software running the player as stated over at AVS and EngadgedHD.

BrandonH

Stunt Coordinator

I see that the Highdefstore has them in stock now I guess you should be getting yours shortly.
Do you have Ethernet setup with broadband yet?
If not you will have to download the latest firmware upgrade to a disc and load it that way, if you do have Ethernet broadband all you have to do is at the setup menu check for updates.
Note:
do the update first before you make any of the other user setup options because after the firmware update all the users option will go back to factory default this will save you from having to do it twice.
I just love this unit.
I still at the moment do not see the big deal about BLU-RAY it seems to still be somewhat incomplete and seems to have the most problems compared to HD-DVD.
The menu is not as good (IMO) or as easy to use as HD-DVD plus Blu-Ray has a lot of previews...(A LOT) which is ok it your into that sort of thing,
I am not I just have to fast forward through them because BLU-RAY will not let you select the disc menu during the previews HD-DVD will on.

No matter because the player plays them both beautifully.

PS dont forget to register the player

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks