What's new

Rotel & Yamaha (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
It may or may not. What kind of speakers are you using? Some combos of receivers/amps and speakers can produce Bright, warm, neutral, etc sound. Currently I use a Rotel RMB-1066 with Paradigm Mini Monitors and fine the sound to be awesome. When I had my old Yamaha RX-V495 a couple of years ago I did find the sound harsh at increased volume. Your best bet is to ask the dealer if you can take the amp home for a couple of days to test it with your setup to see if you like the sound.

Kevin

george king

Supporting Actor
It did in my case. About a year ago I added a Rotel 1075 to my Yamaha 995, and the sound improved dramatically. One improvement was a mellowing of the edge on the Yamaha.

Hope this helps.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Could this be more of a problem with the recording (DVD/CD) then the Yamaha? I find many CD's recorded extremley Bright. The Yam may be showing you exactly what is on the recording. Bob

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
I did the exact same thing a few years back, it was the rxv795(piece of crap) and I had B&W 302's...the combination was horribly bright, so I borrowed a Rotel amp from my store and tried it...low and behold it remained bright!! Yamaha pre-amps and decoders combine for a very bright sound...I immediately got rid of it and bought a HK and was quite pleased with the results. Keep in mind that the Rotel amp that I used was older...perhaps an RB985 would be nice for you...whatever you do, try it first!!

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I have the rx-z1 & I dont find it "harsh". In fact, I have it hooked up to Klipsch speakers & it sounds beautiful.

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
I think that this is one of the more interesting topics on this board. Pieces may have the same specs but sound different. I tried a yamaha with my Kef speakers and found it to be too bright as well. I currently have Integra. I also found the sonys too bright for my taste. Rotel seems to be comparable to Integra as far as sound characteristics. I will be demoing a cd player hopefully in the next few weeks and let you know how it sounds.

Mark

David*Ryu

Auditioning
Thanks for all the information... I don't know if my local dealer Home Theater Store will allow testing it out then returning it, but that is a good idea.

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
Which Yamaha do you have?

I added the Rotel 1075 (5-channel) amp to an RXV-1300. (to B&W 600 series speakers) Sounds much "warmer", almost TOO warm. Will be upgrading fronts to CDM-9NT's to get more High freq. "clarity"...?

Also, I found that I needed to give it some burn-in time for it to "smooth" out.

Don_Vernon

Auditioning
Please excuse this newbie - but what the hell does "bright" mean? It seems totally subjective to me; does it mean over-emphasis of certain (higher) frequency ranges. If so, could this not be measured on some kind of frequency analysis test.? Or is this sort of testing not done on receivers/amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks