What's new

What should I change? (1 Viewer)

Rextter

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I've had my home theatre set up for quite a while now and was wondering if it could be improved with some of the more modern additions. Here's what I have:

10m sq room
Yamaha Av the RX-V673
Main speaker is a Mission 77c
Front speakers 2x Mission M32
Sub-Woofer is a Yamaha YST-SW225
Rear speakers 2x Teac LS-H240DC

The sound I'm getting is definitely loud but perhaps a little 'harsh'

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you say the room is 10m sq. Do you mean the walls are 10 meters long? That’s a really big room for very small speakers. I’m guessing you mean the room is 10 square meters, or for example 3x3 1/3 meters on a side.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Yamaha is very forgiving, warm and musical. In addition to verifying crossover is 80 across the board I would also try backing off the treble slightly, enough to take the edge off but not lose details.

Rextter

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Yes the room is 10m by 10m. The crossover effect on the AV, I'd not thought of that, thank you very much :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You should get rid of the RX-V673 anyway for technical reasons. Its not HDCP 2.2 compatible.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A 10m x 10 m room is huge: That’s nearly 1100 square feet for us non-metric homeowners. That about the size, maybe larger, of my home’s entire first floor.

Is this a big square room? Is it an open floor plan? Do you have hard-surface floors or carpet? How many edges and walls and reflecting surfaces are there? You might be victim to trying to fill a huge, irregular space with conventional 5.1 sound.

You might need to move away from a rigid surround design and go with smart speakers sprinkled throughout to fill the space.

Of maybe you need to incorporate sound acoustic treatments. Get an AVR with a better sound processing system that whatever Yamaha was doing a decade ago. You might be trying to overcome room size problems with louder sound instead of better sound.

Also: single 8” Yamaha subwoofer for a huge room?!? Nope. You need a new subwoofer. Or a pair of new subwoofers. That’s a huge limit in your sound.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That is indeed a (very) huge room.

IF you're playing your system loud (enough) for that space (and are presumably sitting fairly far from the speakers) to also sound "harsh", I'm guessing you're probably actually overdriving it to/approaching clipping levels -- that could be the reason for sounding (unexpectedly/unusually) "harsh".

Anyway, most such speakers (and electronics) aren't really designed/meant for such a big, open space. Certainly, your "subwoofer", if it can even be called that, isn't designed/meant for such a large space -- probably no consumer level subwoofers are.

How far do you sit from the speakers? Around 3-4m for the front ones or more like 2x that? 3-4m should be fine enough, but 2x that (or more) would probably be a big stretch...

_Man_

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You should get rid of the RX-V673 anyway for technical reasons. Its not HDCP 2.2 compatible.
I don't understand this suggestion; if he's not getting a 4K monitor then there's no reason to replace the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks