What's new
World Wide Stereo

REMOTE CONTROL (1 Viewer)

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
I would like recommendation on a remote control, RF for my new system. I am not a tech and do not want to spend days trying to program my first remote. My system:
Dish HD
Panasonic 58PZ800 Plasma
Denon 3808
PS3

What do you thinK???
URC 900 w/ MSF 350 ?
Harmony 890 ?
Something else ?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I like the URC remotes. The buttons are excellent and the remote is very solid. I am not a fan of the Logitech's button layout, button feel or the ability to use it in a dark theater room (without the backlight). I don't want to use the back light every time for basic activities (channel changes, volume, etc.). Bottom line: Find these remotes some place and play with them to see how they feel in your hand.

Take a look at the URC 850. I don't think you need the URC 900's capabilities (unless you really like the watch/listen buttons).

Programming basic device control is very easy on most remotes. However, programming macros to control multiple items will take awhile regardless of the system you purchase.

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
Thank you for the feedback!! Is the Monster AVL300 the same as the Harmony 890? Do all three remotes work on the KISS principle, or do I need a installer??

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Frogman,
I believe you can download the URC software for free (play around with it and see how painful things are). These 'fancy' remotes require programming and you will need to learn how to use the installation / setup software. For a computer guru this is not a problem. For people who never open their computer case or deal with software the learning curve may be a bit steeper (but still doable).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks