What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Quadrophenia coming to DVD-A!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Acording to Musictap, Pete T is working on a new multichannel mix for a release of Quadrophenia to DVD-A. Great news as it looks like DVD-A is really picking up the superstar artists.

J

Note: A seperate SACD release was mentioned as well as a possibility

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Well considering that Universal Europe just decided to go SACD only and drop all future DVD-A releases, I guess the USA is the only place for that momentum.

Glad it will be available on both formats.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Justin,

It is in the October issue of a germany audio magazine called STEREO. They have a website (www.stereo.de) but they are very slow on updates.

In a nutshell, they decided to cease production of DVD-A in Europe. And as you know from past posts, I own both. Just thought your choice of emphasis in the first post was ironic considering.....

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
In a nutshell, they decided to cease production of DVD-A in Europe. And as you know from past posts, I own both. Just thought your choice of emphasis in the first post was ironic considering.....
Here in the United States, it seems to be going the opposite way with Universal. They are beginning to embrace the DVD-A audio format realizing it gives access to surround music for those people without Hi-res players, as well as adding the bonus feature not possible on SACD, which have helped DVD-V become as successful as it is today. Different trends in different countires I guess.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I will get this for sure! DVD Audio version...
Thats the one I plan on picking up. There should be some very interesting bonus features along with improved sound quality since the disc is most likely being mixed in PCM at a minimum for the surround track.

J

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Besides the video content, why do you guys think DVD-A is better than SAVD? I have a Universal player so I can play both, but I don't want to buy a copy for each format.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Besides the video content, why do you guys think DVD-A is better than SAVD? I have a Universal player so I can play both, but I don't want to buy a copy for each format.
My one problem with many SACD is that they use PCM sources converted to DSD (Sony's new royalty..err I mean sampling scheme) to place the content on the disc. This extra coversion changes what we are hearing from the original master (albeit very slightly).

DVD-A avoids this additional conversion by giving us the PCM recorded material just as the artist intended, and is present on the original masters. Most music today (even much of what Sony puts onto SACD themselves) is still first recorded as PCM and then converted. Before DSD, almost all music over the past 20-25 years digitally recorded, was PCM in nature.

Now where DSD can shine and almost equal PCM (24/192, 24/96) is in brand new recordings (not much in mainstream category here yet) and transfers of older analog masters (>25 years old). Still, even in many of these transfers from analog to DSD, PCM is used in the editing stages (at high frequencies of course).

Are you beginning to see pattern here. Sony creates a new sampling scheme, DSD to be used on SACD, a possible replacement for the lost stream of CD royalties. They market DSD as great, and PCM as evil, yet PCM is intimately involved many SACD. Makes one wonder....

These SACD from PCM sources many times sound great, as the masters used are better than CD qualty. Still, being an audio enthusiast, I want my music as close to the master tapes as possible. When it comes to PCM recordings, DVD-A is the best option at this point of time.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks