What's new
World Wide Stereo

Power Ratings (1 Viewer)

Bashkir

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy
Hey, I am kinda new to the whole home theatre thing so I came here to ask a semi-noobie question. I have an old set of Pioneer speakers (centre and rear - upgraded others slightly) that have a power rating of 70 watts max and 35 watts max respectively. I just purchased a new Receiver that is 100 watts per channel... and I am wondering.. can I use the old Pioneer speakers for the mean time until I can make enough money to upgrade them? Bare in mind I am a student and I currently have a cheap 5.1 setup and I just purchased a 7.1 receiver.

Thanks
Troy

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The more you turn up the volume, the more wattage your receiver pumps out. Normal listening only uses a few watts per channel. Just don't go nuts and crank it to 11 and you will fine.

-Robert

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Be cautious using internal test tones and auto setup routines. As I learned (while blowing my old Infinities), they are at reference level or higher (in other words, loud). They were rated at 65 watts max and were older than dirt....

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Also, use your ears.

If something starts sounding bad, turn it down. The speakers will warn you -- if you're paying attention -- to the fact that they're in danger of melting down and/or blowing up.

The other hazard is, your amp may not actually be able to drive all channels at 100w. If this is the case, if you try to do so, the distortion from the amp may generate strange wave/harmonics that may be more dangerous than sheer power. Again, use your ears: if it starts distorting, back off!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks