What's new
World Wide Stereo

Plasma or LCD? Which type to buy? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to get opinions on the pro's and con's between buying a plasma or an LCD tv for use in a condo. Don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money but want something solid. Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I recently made the same decision and ended up choosing LCD over Plasma. I tend to like the plasma picture a little better then LCD but decided that my usage patterns needed to be the driver of this decision and not based 100% on PQ. Since I use this TV for at least a few hours each day AND I watch SD programming with side bars (not stretched) about 75% of the time...I got concerned with burn-in on a plasma. Plus the lamp life at standard setting on an LCD is predicted to be 60,000 hours (double the predicted life of plasma). Now that I have the LCD I am very pleased, the PQ is very good (not quite as good as my direct view CRT), the blacks are good and overall I find it satisfying to watch. I have the 37" Sharp.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, the new Panasonic 7UY series plasmas have new and improved phosphors that are supposed to be much less prone e to aging effects and burn-in. The rated life to half brightness is now 60,000 hours, comparable to CRTs.

-Steve

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Depends on how big a screen you want.....and, of course, how much money you're willing to spend. FWIW, most plasma displays are now rated at about 60,000 hrs to half brightness, so the longevity between the two is a toss up. Smallest plasma is 37" as is the largest LCD (at a reasonable price anyway...I think a 46" LCD is now available but waaaaay up there in the $$ department)

If size isn't an issue, I would rather have a good LCD than a cheap, off brand, plamsa. If you're looking for something 42" and up, than plamsa is the choice.

Mort

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Plasmas run hot and burn a lot more electricity than LCDs. Just something to keep in mind.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
What's your price range? What's your viewing distance? What kind of source material will you be viewing most of the time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks