What's new

Onkyo Receiver owners.... (1 Viewer)

Paul Chiappini

Stunt Coordinator
Someone sent this to me outside of this forum. Did he just get a lemon?
"No one mentioned that the receiver makes a loud clicking noise on DVDs
every time the digital auto detection circuitry detects changes or
interruptions in the incoming bitstream. This wasn't so bothersome at
the beginning of the DVD but this clicking did call attention to the
RSDL layer switch pause making it more noticeable. I also found out that
sometimes (not always) a second or so of audio might be cut off after
the layer switch or other interruption of the bitstream. I called ONKYO
on this and they told me it is "normal".
While I'll admit that the TX-DS696 sounded great on music in its 2
channel "Direct Source" mode, I did hear a very loud crackling noise on
a bass heavy music CD when using the DPLII Music Mode. And I could not
have been overloading anything because the volume was no where near max
and all my speakers were set to "small" so that the bass below 80hz went
to the sub. Maybe this was just a defect in my unit but I did not want
another one with that digital clicking glitch."

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I've never had my 595 click in and out of a sound setting during a layer change. That seems very odd to me, and I'm certainly not using a high end DVD player that would gloss over the layer change easily -- I'm using a Playstation 2!! Must be something in his system because I've never had that problem.I don't find the click bothersome at all and its a nice verification that you've changed the setting if you can't read the screen all that well from your sitting position.
Don't really know about his bass heavy CD problems using DPLII Music Mode, I've had no problems with that mode -- though I don't really use it all that often admittedly.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Love my 989. The 898 looks good(esp. with the onkyo badged pronto). The customer support(ie. the uprgade path) was wonderful with the 989.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Had my Integra 838 for about 3 years. I love it. Loads of power although it is only 90watts per channel across the front in 5.1.
My only gripes are the crappy design remote but I think that's been cured in newer models and no ability to run DTS as no 6 channel input but that's just cause it predates that format.
I would buy Onkyo again.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Onkyo 787, it has been a great piece of equipment. I haven't had any issues with it, and I'm going to replace it with the 797, this fall. I would highly recommend Onkyo to anyone that asks me. F.Y.I. it comes with one of the best remotes I have ever seen come with a piece of equipment! Not that Denon is bad, but I perfer Onkyo all things being equal.
-Marshawn

Thomas B

Agent
Paul quoted this from another forum . . .
"No one mentioned that the receiver makes a loud clicking noise on DVDs
every time the digital auto detection circuitry detects changes or
interruptions in the incoming bitstream. This wasn't so bothersome at
the beginning of the DVD but this clicking did call attention to the
RSDL layer switch pause making it more noticeable. I also found out that
sometimes (not always) a second or so of audio might be cut off after
the layer switch or other interruption of the bitstream. I called ONKYO
on this and they told me it is "normal" . . . "
Well, as for me, I have an Onkyo 595 receiver with a Sony DVP-550D DVD player, and I hear no such "clicking" noise. There is a slight delay with the video and the audio with the DVD's layer change, but that occurred with my old Pioneer receiver, too. Perhaps some have noticed this, but I haven't had such a clicking problem with my Onkyo!

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
I used to own one. For the price I paid, I expect perfection. It's only fair to expect this when the competition (which I eventually bought) offered what comes close to a perfectly built receiver. Mine spent a bit too much time in repair for things that should have worked OOTB.
No one seems to mention Onkyo's bouncing volume control. Maybe they solved it - I don't know but this one shitted my no end.
I experienced enough build problems that I would be wary of buying this brand again.
For the price Onkyo is very good and they don't look like they're following Denon's lead and adding hundreds to the sticker price to their xx02 models (this is Australia btw.)
The 797 looks nice however. Is it THX Ultra? That would seal it for me given competitive pricing.
T.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
As I understand, Tony, I believe the 797 shall be THX-Select and not Ultra. Nonetheless, I shall buy it--especially after finding out that it shall be fully loaded with 100x6 surround sound processing, Dolby Digital, DTS, DPL II, DTS-ES, DTS:Neo 6, THX Surround-EX, etc. I was going to go for a 696, but after seeing all that this one has to offer, change of plans...big time!!!!! :D The Onkyo TX-DS797 it is!!!!
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, because I too have a THX receiver, but I really want to know why people ,who are otherwise well informed, seem to support this certification?
I have severaal issues that make me unclear as to why it is of any importance.
I have seen certified equipment that to me seems underpowered
I dont much see the use of decorrelation in a multi-channel surround setting
I like to be able to not turn on cinema re-eq because ,while I always felt that it nuetered fidelity, it is now more often adressed in the film-to-video-remastering of the soundtrack ,so it's use is bad in those cases (which are more and more prevalent)where the abnormally bright "theater mix" is toned back for home video
I have felt that most low to moderately priced certified units did not compare well to similarly priced non-certified units
Please help me understand your opinion on thiese and other issues that I have surely missed
THanX ,
mATT

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
Good discussion about THX, but you should start another thread for it. Personally I've never "bought into" THX for 5.1 sources. Re-Eq, yes, for overly bright tracks. I use the THX ProLogic mode for PCM LDs and it works great for that. I'd also like to turn off the EQ part for home theater targetted DVD 2.0 tracks.
No one seems to mention Onkyo's bouncing volume control. Maybe they solved it - I don't know but this one shitted my no end.
They fixed it years ago. I know both my old 828 and my replacement (older) 919 had it fixed before I got them. The 828 was factory refurbished and the 919 was used.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>Good discussion about THX, but you should start another thread for it. Personally I've never "bought into" THX for 5.1 sources. Re-Eq, yes, for overly bright tracks.
THX Surround EX 7.1
End of discussion :)
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>They fixed it years ago. I know both my old 828 and my replacement (older) 919 had it fixed before I got them. The 828 was factory refurbished and the 919 was used.
The ones I use came after these. It was my impression that the early 1 or 2 series (ie. 727) didn't have the problem.
The 4-5-6 series (ie. 656) had this. Mine certainly did and so did the early dts models I looked at. The sales people and even the distributor said it was normal for digital volume knobs and made no attempt to look at mine when I brought it into service.
I BEG TO DIFFER!
And so I've never bought Onkyo since...
T.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Tony,
please don't show display your knowledge so adamantly, especially when, well nevermind...
THX EX IS NOTHING better than DDex ,which is itself a matrixing format for the rear channel (by the way 6.1, or more precisely 5(1/2).1)not 7.1 ,which implies 2 discrete rear surrounds .
NOW , as for an extra discrete surround ,this would be DTS ES (which, from what I can read isn't "technically" discrete either ,but certainly better than what lucas offers)
mr. administrator , please move my above post(if you please) to its own post, as I don't know how other than re-posting (and editing it)...THanX for your suggestion!
I still can get no answer from anyone in the industry what these logos(select & ultra) add to the end customer price of the units that bear the stamp!
I suspect that almost every upper-end receiver on the market would pass the criteria to be certified, and have found way too many units that I didn't like AT ALL that bore one of the rubberstamps...
My humble opinion seems to be shared by MANY in my industry please, if anyone could please way in on this topic ,I WOULD ENTERTAIN OPPOSING OPINIONS THAT SHOW MERIT...
THanX AGAIN

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Tony,
please don't show display your knowledge so adamantly, especially when, well nevermind...
THX EX IS NOTHING better than DDex ,which is itself a matrixing format for the rear channel (by the way 6.1, or more precisely 5(1/2).1)not 7.1 ,which implies 2 discrete rear surrounds .
NOW , as for an extra discrete surround ,this would be DTS ES (which, from what I can read isn't "technically" discrete either ,but certainly better than what lucas offers)
mr. administrator , please move my above post(if you please) to its own post, as I don't know how other than re-posting (and editing it)...THanX for your suggestion!
I still can get no answer from anyone in the industry what these logos(select & ultra) add to the end customer price of the units that bear the stamp!
I suspect that almost every upper-end receiver on the market would pass the criteria to be certified, and have found WAY too many units that I didn't like AT ALL that bore one of the rubberstamps...
My humble opinion seems to be shared by MANY in my industry, please, if anyone could please way in on this topic ,I WOULD ENTERTAIN OPPOSING OPINIONS THAT SHOW MERIT...
THanX AGAIN

Dan A

Agent
Mike, I also have an older Onkyo, I think the TX 80. When I bought it, I matched it with large AR 40B speakers, and what must be one of the first CD players, a Hitachi. All courtesy of Crazy Eddie in NYC. CDs were the smallest part of the record store, and you bought most of what was released just to have some music.
Anyway, my Onkyo is now collecting dust. The FM section died and the volume seems a bit static-y. Not sure its worth repairing.
Still, I 'ld look at other Onkyos

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
quote: mr. administrator , please move my above post(if you please) to its own post, as I don't know how other than re-posting (and editing it)...[/quote]No need to be so formal. :) I can't move the post out to create a new thread - the software doesn't support that function. Go ahead and copy/paste. That would be a good idea.quote: I still can get no answer from anyone in the industry what these logos(select & ultra) add to the end customer price of the units that bear the stamp!
I suspect that almost every upper-end receiver on the market would pass the criteria to be certified, and have found WAY too many units that I didn't like AT ALL that bore one of the rubberstamps...[/quote]In order to get the THX stamp, the following criteria has to be met:
(1) The piece needs to have the requisite THX digital processing modes. This used to be very important, as the THX prologic enhancement was great "back in the day". DPL II has eliminated this. The other THX modes may still be nice.
(2) The amps have to be up to the spec of THX. I've never seen these published, but surely many non-THX would pass.
(3) A licensing fee for that nice looking logo. I would be very surprised if this information was not covered in some kind of NDA. I mean how much does Dolby get for every tape deck with a Dolby logo? For every DVD player? Who knows? This type of info is not going to be available.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 24, 2001 at 01:55 PM]

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>please don't show display your knowledge so adamantly, especially when, well nevermind...
>THX EX IS NOTHING better than DDex ,which is itself a matrixing format for the rear channel (by the way 6.1, or more precisely 5(1/2).1)not 7.1 ,which implies 2 discrete rear surrounds .
Maybe you missed the smiley at the end.
What I'm getting at is that many people would find the THX 7.1 addition useful - I find it more useful than plain THX 5.1 on Ultra systems.
I'm looking at the Outlaw 950 so it's not a must buy for me but I would pay a reasonable amount more for a THX 7.1 preamp. The Denon 5800 owners here would agree.
I already own a THX receiver and THX poweramp so I would prefer a preamp that is also THX to match.
It just a preference that's all. I like it, I want it and I'm willing to pay a smallish premium.
>I still can get no answer from anyone in the industry what these logos(select & ultra) add to the end customer price of the units that bear the stamp!
There's some info on the site but a lot of what I know is gleaned from years of studying useless information.
>I still can get no answer from anyone in the industry what these logos(select & ultra) add to the end customer price of the units that bear the stamp!
Ultra must have the ability to fill a 4,000 cubic foot room to reference level. I think Select is 3,000 ft.
>In order to get the THX stamp, the following criteria has to be met:
(1) The piece needs to have the requisite THX digital processing modes. This used to be very important, as the THX prologic enhancement was great "back in the day". DPL II has eliminated this. The other THX modes may still be nice.
'Adaptive Decorrelation' and a bunch of other cute terms.
>(2) The amps have to be up to the spec of THX. I've never seen these published, but surely many non-THX would pass.
Lots of amps would. It's something like 100w minimum, linear to 3.2 ohms, stable to 2 ohms for poweramps.
Also input voltage is tightly regulated so you can add other THX amps without too much bother.
Also a big one for processor/receivers is that THX must approve the operating procedures of the unit. They must find the menus etc. reasonably simple to operate. Strange but true.
T.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have the 646 and i do like it except for the bouncing volume knob. i understand the problem has long since been resolved and i like my onkyo so much i'll still consider them next time i get upgraditis.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I have owned the 696 for a little while now (I also took advantage of Circuit City's website mess-up in pricing), and I have been almost completely satisfied from the beginning.
The only thing that got to me was the "clicking" problem that was referred to earlier in the thread. I finally figured out the cause this very morning. On the DVD source's "Listening Mode Preset" menu, both the Analog/PCM option and the Digital option need to be set to the same thing, either "surround" or "stereo." The clicking which would occur in menus, as you started the movie, and on layer changes happened because the receiver detected an absence of a signal, such as during a layer change when the DVD player is refocusing to the second layer. If your digital source is on "surround" and analog is on "stereo," when no signal is detected the receiver goes into analog mode, and changes to stereo (click #1), then back to surround, be it DPL2 or DD/DTS (click #2), the changing in modes from surround to stereo and back tends to have a small delay, which can cut off sound on a layer change. Luckily, since I have fallen in love with DPL2, I have no problems in setting my analog signals to surround, and the clicking has stopped, along with delays caused by the switching in the receiver's circuitry! :) :)
I'm surprised more people didn't run into this little problem. However, now that my one issue with the receiver has been solved, I have fallen completely in love with the receiver, no complaints whatsoever!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Mike Mallory

Agent
Dan A,
My old Onkyo also has some static in the volume control, but hopefully it's just dirt in the pot. Glad to hear from another old Onkyo owner.
- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks