What's new

Howdy - Unhappy Onkyo owner - not for long (1 Viewer)

TeleFragger

Auditioning
Real Name
Riggs
Sup all...
my first post and what a great one!

so looong story... back in circuit city days I purchased last years model (yes back then as I forget what year) Harman Kardon AVR-65 receiver and also the Harman Kardon 5 - 4" speakers and sub (HKT-1 kit???)

anyway it was just awesome. I would play the Matrix and when Neo would come down on the heli and the slow motion of the Gatling gun would shake my house. it was crisp and clear. what a setup it was...

few years go by and it dies. Well I needed to get HDMI switching so started looking at new HK receivers but they, at that time, were not putting network jacks in yet (from what I recall as once again a long time ago).

so I use Homeseer for home automation and 2 guys made plugins. one guy did for Onkyo and one guy for Pioneer.
Well I decided to go Onkyo as I recalled they used to be awesome, but I couldn't afford it.

so I buy a TX-NR708 and set it up. I was disappointed since day 1. It did not sound as good at that matrix spot. Just tried everything but lived with it. having it for about 2 years, it died and it sat. I then found out that there was a recall.

Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

so off it went and got repaired in 2015. Had it back and set it up but barely used it. Just here and there but then I redid the kitchen in 2016-ish to which I put hardwood floor in the kitchen and living room. Had to disassemble everything and it sat until September 2017 to which I hooked it up. well it has another issue and I found another press release...

2011-06-21 Automatic Continuous Change of Listening Modes and/or Remote Controller Commands are not accepted

so great I call back and see if it can get fixed as it states in that press release
***This issue will be handled for you even if you are out of warranty (this only applies to US and Canada).***

well great!!! AWESOME!!!! I just spend 2 days and calling in 4 times... and guess what.. because mine was fixed for free under the first one... I cannot get it repaired under the 2nd one as I used up my free service repairs...

Onkyo said I can trade it in and receive a refurbished Onkyo TX-RZ720 THX-Certified 7.2-Channel 4K Network A/V Receiver for $336 plus shipping... IT GOES FOR $449 with free shipping on Amazon!!!!!!!

I am just tired of dealing with this...

Has Onkyo gotten that bad? is it worth just never dealing with them again? I get it that someone will reply that the service bulletin I listed is from 2011... so 7 years old... but this unit is barely used and even when it worked, it was such a disappointment.

so looking for recommendations...
do I go Harman Kardon again?
Pioneer, Yamaha???

or just get a sound bar and be done with it?

I don't have a big tv, don't have a big room and just want something that sounds really good for watching tv.

let me know!

********** Edited....
Oh yeah.. and on their support page it states...
We truly care about our customers and our product ....

and I get my unit isn't that new, nor that well used... but still with the issue I have had, I feel they really don't care... they "Truly" don't care... but that is my opinion...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
so looking for recommendations...
do I go Harman Kardon again?
Pioneer, Yamaha???
In my opinion, HK has not made a decent receiver in quite some time, and are now part of Samsung.

Pioneer sold off their receiver business to Onkyo, so.....

I've had good luck with Yamaha over the years - especially at the lower end models, getting more bang for the buck in terms of features (and even unlisted features - I had an entry level that had SACD decoding, even though it was not mentioned in the specs).

Denon makes some decent receivers, too.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:welcome: to the HTF!

I've been happy with my Denon receivers in recent years. Mine have been lower end models which I have purchased either refurbished from Accessories4Less.com or Open Box at Crutchfield.

Customer Service is a tricky thing. We've seen similar tales over the years about what some perceive as shoddy or uncaring customer service only to have someone else chime in with an entirely different tale. One thing's for sure, you want to pay attention to whatever warrantees are offered as part of your purchase.

I've had my share of receivers go bad on me over the years after a few years service. I figure it's one of those things that gear that generates that kind of heat is subject to issues after a while.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would also check open box at Best Buy on receivers. Just do not purchase open box demo units from the Magnolia section as those are left powered on 24/7 from the day they are installed in the demo room until they are decommissioned. In most stores, the lower-end receivers are rarely if ever turned on, so shelf displays on those models can be a good deal, just make sure they haven't been too abused by shoppers and have all of their accessories.

TeleFragger

Auditioning
Real Name
Riggs
well long story short, I sent it out for repair... $174 and its back home and running. Ive got some cheasy speakers from a guy at work as this receiver has blown out all of my HK 4" speakers... that is going to be my next post up.. thx all.. if this receiver dies again, Ill definitely get a budget up and figure out what I'm doing for a better replacement. Fingers crossed on this one...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks