Onkyo Receiver owners....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chiappini, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Paul Chiappini

Paul Chiappini Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering one of the new Onkyo receivers. The 898 or 797 that aren't quite available yet. Anyway, I wanted to hear from owners that have had their receivers for quite some time. How do you like 'em? Would you buy one again? Does the display dim over time? I had one (another brand) that the display text dimmed until you could barely see it any longer.
    I'd like my next receiver to be my last (yeah right).
    Thanks.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have an Onkyo TX-SV919THX circa 1995 using external decoders for Dolby Digital, dts, and DVD-Audio. It still sounds fantastic, looks great, and performs flawlessly. Like new. I would buy another Onkyo without hesitation.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

3. DaleV

DaleV Agent

I'm using a 696 and so far so good. Yes, I would purchase another one. Also, just received the new Crutchfield catalog for fall/winter and the new Onkyo's are in it. The 898 is listed for 1499.00 and the 797 for 999.95. Probably get a better deal elsewhere. The 696 is still listed there for 799.00.

4. Chris Clarno

Chris Clarno Agent

Christian
    I concur! Onkyo gear is top notch! I am on my second Onkyo receiver. The only reason I replaced the first one is that my system out grew it. the first unit still works great and resides in the home of a good friend of mine. I also own a 3-head Onkyo cassette deck and a 6 disc Onkyo CD changer, both quality units! My current receiver is an Onkyo 828 (around the same vintage as Philip's 919) It has super clean sound without distortion even at obscene volume levels. I am thinking of upgrading again in the next 6-12 months, again because I've out grown it, not because I'm unhappy with it's performance. My only complaint about Onkyo (as a company, not individual units) is that they tend to trail a bit on implementing new sound formats in their gear. I want my next unit to contain DPL II, DTS-ES, and perhaps THX-EX processing. As Far as I know, none of Onkyo's gear has DLP II and only their low to mid end stuff has ES or EX built-in.

5. DaleV

DaleV Agent

I believe that the 696 was the first receiver to hit the market with DPLII. Now all of Onkyo's receivers are available with DPLII.

6. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

I've got the the 696 and am Very happy with it. So much so that Im thinking of buying the 595 to Put upstairs in the family room [​IMG].
    Highly recommend.
    Jake T
    ------------------
    Jake T
    --"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
    -Russel Crowe, Gladiator

7. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

I purchased an Onkyo 595 about 3 weeks ago, and have been very pleased. I had an old Pro-Logic Pioneer for 8 years, and I really like that receiver, too, but wanted an upgrade to Dolby Digital and DTS. When Onkyo came out with DPL II, that made my choice fairly easy. Bought the 595 from J&R for $359. Can't really see a better buy for the money than that.

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

9. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

I bought my first Onkyo receiver in 1988..and I still have it. I bought another in 1994 with ProLogic..still have that one too...although my son uses it now. I replaced it since then with two Yamaha receivers. I wouldn't buy another Onkyo again as their DSP surround processors cannot compare with the Yamaha products.
    ------------------

10. Paul Chiappini

11. Paul Chiappini

Whoops... Forgot to ask -- Are the faces on the Onkyos metal or plastic? For some reason that's important to me.

12. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

I guess someone has to bridge that generation gap. [​IMG]
    I have the 939 for over four years and that thing just keep slamming quite up to the standard of being one of the most powerful receiver of it's time. Besides, it's built quality is impeccable. The thing about Onkyo is they tend to be more conservative in implementing new formats and cranking out new models but with the new flagship's upgradeability that should take care of the problem. Together with a DTS decoder, the 939 is still keeping pace with most of it's peers admirably.
    PF
    P.S. Mine has a very cold-to-touch black brush aluminum faceplate.
    [Edited last by PomingF on August 21, 2001 at 09:21 PM]

13. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

My Onkyo 696 is great. I took advantage of Circuit City's one-week "boo boo" of $549 and I don't think you can touch it for that price, as far as comparability and features. I love it to death and would definitely purchase it again. The face, BTW, is brushed black aluminum. The remote is by far the best I've ever used. The backlighting is very strong and stays on long enough to actually use. Good luck!
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

14. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

This is my second reciever and won't be my last. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Mits 55805 HDTV
    Integra DTR 9.1 THX Ultra Receiver
    Toshiba 6200 Progressive Scan DVD
    Energy MicroStar 12.1 Sub
    Pics
    DVD Collection

15. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I've had the 656 which I loved. It took me over 6 months of research to pick that one out and there was never a moment of doubt about my choice. Top notch, especially for what I paid.
    I've upgraded to the 777 and I love it even more. I bought it for DTS and some of the other features. It is a very good receiver and I've just recently began to discover some of it's higher end qualities (like direct for SACD and DVD-A, even for HDCD processing). The remote was the real clincher for me, it runs my whole HT right now and I couldn't be happier.
    My next move is either to the 8.2 (going Integra this time) or if I can wait (and afford it), the RDC-7 seperates package.
    Being and Onkyo-ian, I can post about 2-3 pages of what I like about their receivers but I'll just say this; Onkyo all the way!
    Troy
    ------------------
    No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

16. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I have owned my Onkyo Integra DTR-7 for the last 2 years and can honestly say that I will definitely be looking at another Onkyo product for my next receiver. It has performed flawlessly. The fronts on all new Onkyo units are brushed aluminum, no plastic.
    KyleS

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I had a 535 for several years, and it served me well. I've now got the 696 and am also very pleased with it.

18. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I have a 575..I love it.Mabey in the next year or so I will upgrade to another Onkyo,but for now,my 2 year old unit is just fine
    ------------------

19. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

If I wasn't waiting for the Outlaw, i'd definitely pick an Onkyo 898 or it's Integra counterpart.
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

20. Mike Mallory

Mike Mallory Agent

Since you're asking about old stuff, I currently am using my Onkyo Integra TX-85 (1985) on my main PC. I can drive A+B speakers with no loss of sound quality (I have a subwoofer hooked to B). The huge flourescent display is still perfect after 16 years. The tuner (for FM) is one of the finest. The THD value is par excellence.
    - Mike