What's new

One Step Beyond -- Restored! (3 Viewers)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
It is really nice to see that some people are so very dedicated to certain (quality) tv series like ONE STEP BEYOND (ABC 1959-61).
This is another instance were the television property is being given a full restoration and this just may take some time to successfully accomplish.
I am not giving up on further ONE STEP BEYOND (standard) DVD releases and I am confident that the first set sold well enough to warrant a continuation.
Let's just persist showing our enthusiastic support for a desired completion and not get discouraged about it!
Jeff T.
:D

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Maybe from Shout/Timeless now if they have a Paramount deal? As a product it would also fit neatly in with past b&w TMG releases. So MOD or not, would be a welcome return if CBS dug this TV classic out again since (horror) anthologies never lose their fascination or popularity.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I (honestly) believe that Paramount Pictures-CBS Home Entertainment really wants to do this but there is the (necessary) restoration that takes time and the number of other (classic) television properties that have been given priority.
If not, then Image Entertainment would be a comfortable fit. Just refer to Image's THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) standard DVD and Blu-ray editions and BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER (CBS 1960-62) standard DVD releases.
But let's not write Paramount out just yet.
This mega-company could go on forever just on the revenue earned from its lucrative STAR TREK franchises!
Jeff T.
:D

JeffT.

Deceased Member
logo.jpg

I was the last to post in this (definitive) ONE STEP BEYOND aka ALCOA PRESENTS ONE STEP BEYOND (ABC 1959-61) discussion thread and I'm still keeping the dream alive.

This coming September will mark 5 years since the initial ONE STEP BEYOND first season (1959) DVD release and still nothing has been done to continue and complete it.

The first season DVD set was so well done (and very well received) and I will never be convinced that it didn't sell satisfactory enough not to warrant a continuance. This series definitely falls under the category of prestige DVD release. Maybe CBS Television-Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment have had it on the back burner for so long that they completely forgot about it. But we certainly haven't!

Who knows maybe a "surprise" (or unexpected) release is in the works and due. Let's hope so!

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
there will be a complete release on this one, at some point.

i am putting my foot in my mouth on this one.

yes neil, those cows will eventually come home !!!!!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
How about the follow up series from the 1970's - NEXT STEP BEYOND?

Not likely we'ed see it.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Five years? Holy cow! Now that's a long time between releases.

Count me in if this one ever gets un-stalled.

Better yet, do a full-series Blu-ray!

Harry

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm a sucker for vintage mystery/horror/fantasy anthologies, so I'd be very excited if One Step Beyond was released as a complete series set (OSB, Outer Limits on blu-ray & finishing Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour are my other anthology holy grails). It took nearly a decade for all three Night Gallery seasons to be released, so five years is nothing! ;)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
This is another one of my disappointments - that CBS didn't do a complete series release for this or finish it off season by season. The first season looks so good and a complete series set would have been great.
If CBS would finish everything they started, I would be a lot more happy with them.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I doubt it for either show. "The Fugitive" was a unique situation where the uproar was so great from the get-go that CBS was basically shamed into making amends. There wasn't anything close to that when "Odd Couple" and "My Three Sons" were released that I think they feel they can just keep things as they are from now on and not go to the trouble of fixing them. Which is really tragic with the former given all the outstanding program content that was lost.

As for "One Step Beyond", I doubt it's going to be revisited. CBS has not to my knowledge gone back to a "one and done" title of theirs that was in that situation for a lengthy period (they have three in that category, with "Barnaby Jones" and "Love American Style" in addition to "One Step Beyond")

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
I doubt it for either show. "The Fugitive" was a unique situation where the uproar was so great from the get-go that CBS was basically shamed into making amends. There wasn't anything close to that when "Odd Couple" and "My Three Sons" were released that I think they feel they can just keep things as they are from now on and not go to the trouble of fixing them. Which is really tragic with the former given all the outstanding program content that was lost.

As for "One Step Beyond", I doubt it's going to be revisited. CBS has not to my knowledge gone back to a "one and done" title of theirs that was in that situation for a lengthy period (they have three in that category, with "Barnaby Jones" and "Love American Style" in addition to "One Step Beyond")
it also doesn't help that many of the episodes are in the public domain, so there's all the competition (price-wise, not quality-wise) from the "only a dollar" bins.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Jack P said:
Which is really tragic with the former given all the outstanding program content that was lost.
what sort of content ? are you referring to the odd couple ?

are the originals intact ?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
CBS's music editing decisions on "Odd Couple" resulted in far more than just music replacement on radios, records etc. it resulted in the editing of program content that was so often critical to the plot and humor of many an episode. The worst example is the Season 5 "Strike Up The Band Or Else" where the song "Cocktails For Two" is vital to the humor. Yet the two scenes involving the number are pruned and the episode loses everything special about it. These people at CBS were so dense they even cut scenes of people humming songs in the public domain!

Certainly the uncut elements exist, but unfortunately we're not going to see them in quality DVD releases.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Before THE TWILIGHT ZONE and THE OUTER LIMITS there was...ONE STEP BEYOND!

I checked and there was a four year gap between the second (1971-72) and the third (1972-73) seasons of the ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY (NBC 1970-73) tv series DVD releases. I had to order the third season from the U.S. because at the time it just wasn't available in my proximity but fortunately (at the time) the shipping rates were much more reasonable.

One would think in five years the ONE STEP BEYOND (ABC 1959-61) tv series DVD release would have been (long) completed.

There was a lengthy delay in the HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL (CBS 1957-63) tv series DVD sets. Midway through the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) tv series DVD releases there were numerous starts-and-stops between sets. But both shows were (ultimately) completed however (when others had discouragingly written them off).

Until closure I am going to continue to lobby and hopefully movement and a (satisfactory) completion will be accomplished.

I still feel that (SF-horror-fantasy) genre tv shows and films have a definite competitive edge over most classic entertainment and hopefully this will be applicable to ONE STEP BEYOND.

All these kind of genre black-and-white late 1950s early 1960s dramatic anthology tv shows THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64), BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER (NBC 1960-62), THE OUTER LIMITS (ABC 1963-65) have successfully made it so why not ONE STEP BEYOND?!

In some instances it took some time but they made it.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
jimmyjet said:
both will come to pass !!
Not to sound disrespectful, but this strikes me as a tad Pollyannish and isn't based on a realistic appraisal of how things are with these titles and these labels/studios. Just because half the battle is already won with the material *existing* is no guarantee that we'll ever see it in a convenient format. That's never how it's been and while I wish it were true with all the titles I'd like to see (it drives me batty year after year to see one lousy season of "Burke's Law" remain unavailable to us), experience tells us it just isn't show. Taking a more realistic approach to things at least allows us to appreciate what *is* there instead of setting ourselves up for disappointment on what isn't going to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks