What's new

One Step Beyond -- Restored! (2 Viewers)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Word on the street is that sales were very poor. That killed the chance of remaining seasons getting a release.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Fantastic_Fifties_TV01_John_Newland.jpg

I frequently looked at the AMAZON.COM (U.S.) retail sales for GUNSMOKE (CBS 1955-75) when each individual set was initially released and they were always lousy-as-all-getout. Yet CBS Television-Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment steadfastly continued with it nonetheless.

They may decide to give it another chance. For myself, this was the first time that I had ever seen the show in such superb condition. It was startling! I wouldn't have believed it possible. If anyone still hasn't purchased this particular set do yourself a favour and get it:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Step-Beyond-Official-Season/dp/B002DMJM7K/

They would probably break-up the two remaining seasons into two volume sets each so that means just four more left to go which isn't very much.

Well we'll just have to keep right on hammering away.

Where is Guillermo del Toro (Gómez) when you need him (Hey! I like ONE STEP BEYOND very much almost as much as ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY!)?

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Gary16 said:
I believe OSB was a test case for CBS that unfortunately failed. As I see it, they were well aware of all the shoddy-looking DVDs (and VHS) out there for the program, so their test was to put out the first season in brand new 35mm high quality transfers, fully complete, to see how it would sell. Apparently too many consumers were satisfied with the less-than-good transfers and weren't enticed to buy the authorized first season despite the major quality difference.That's too bad for those of us who are true collectors and will in fact buy the best quality out there. I have to assume that the only reason all of those sub-par DVDs of TV shows and feature films continue to be produced is because stores like Walmart are stocking them and people are buying them not realizing, in many cases, that they're buying copies that probably look OK on an old small screen tube TV.
This is very true in my estimation as well. I also think it is one of the contributing factors as to why sales of the "Official" BONANZA season sets have been disappointing. People probably think the series compilations they bought from the dump bin at Walmart is good enough. For all we know people might even believe that a 50 episode set constitutes the entire series! Public domain stuff can be both a blessing and a curse when it comes to movies and TV. It's a blessing when it allows people access to something they would otherwise have no chance of ever seeing in any form. But it's a curse in that such blanket accessibility then tends to discourage any company from wanting to pursue a quality release, figuring such can be easily and legally copied for a much cheaper release from someone else. For every success story like IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE there are failures like the Criterion Collection version of CARNIVAL OF SOULS, which was copied and sold at bargain bin prices without all the fancy extras and packaging. Anyone who just wants the movie in a good transfer sees no reason to buy the original Criterion and opts for the one at the dollar store.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The same happened to me with my 35mm restorations of Africa Screams, Jack and the Beanstalk and Scared to Death.

Thankfully, KINO was willing to take a chance and issue a Blu-ray of my 35mm element on The Devil Bat.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Professor Echo said:
Can anyone recommend a relatively good quality public domain set of OSB that contains many of the unreleased episodes?
Diamond's DVD set wasn't bad.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Professor Echo said:
People probably think the series compilations they bought from the dump bin at Walmart is good enough. For all we know people might even believe that a 50 episode set constitutes the entire series!
I think this is an important point. People have fond but dim memories of an old series and have a desire to see it again - but not necessarily with a total commitment to the entire series. Sometimes it's enough just to get a sampling as to what a series was like and the PD peddlers provide just that. For a few bucks, a person gets a sampling of what a show was all about. They hear the theme, see the structure, see the stars in their roles, and a happy memory is triggered - or the horror of realization that the show wasn't all that it was thought to be.

Count me in if and when ONE STEP BEYOND ever gets further season releases, but it's not something I think is on anyone's short list of things to actually do.

Harry

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I'd be in for a S2 release of OSB if CBS can do new HD transfers of that season and S3 as well, and allow an indie like Shout/Timeless to license the rights to those remaining seasons.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
I'd be in for a S2 release of OSB if CBS can do new HD transfers of that season and S3 as well, and allow an indie like Shout/Timeless to license the rights to those remaining seasons.
Unfortunately, it might not really be a matter of "allowing" someone to licence the show, but finding someone willing to licence it out for a price CBS are willing to accept.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
AndyMcKinney said:
Unfortunately, it might not really be a matter of "allowing" someone to licence the show, but finding someone willing to licence it out for a price CBS are willing to accept.
Who's going to licence a series that has a number of episodes in the Public Domain just for top quality elements?

Tooncy

Second Unit
Almost certainly no one. Especially for a series like One Step Beyond. For the most part, it wasn't a very good show.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Tooncy said:
Almost certainly no one. Especially for a series like One Step Beyond. For the most part, it wasn't a very good show.
It was an excellent show which is the point of this thread. However if new 35mm transfers don't exist beyond season one then it's unlikely someone other than cbs will license the show which is too bad.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
A lot of things discussed in this type of discussion forum I (personally) feel are not very good. However taste is a very personal thing. But even if something is atrociously wanting if it sells it will most definitely be marketed.

For myself I find this show (highly) entertaining and interesting in what it attempted to present. Having seen some tv shows to death this (at least for me) is something fresh and different.

But maybe (for those of us who care) this is a dead horse that will never again be revived albeit an excellent possibility could be Image Entertainment which marketed quality DVD releases of similar genre tv series like THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) and BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER (NBC 1960-62).

:rolleyes:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
But maybe (for those of us who care) this is a dead horse that will never again be revived albeit an excellent possibility could be Image Entertainment which marketed quality DVD releases of similar genre tv series like THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) and BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER (NBC 1960-62). :rolleyes:
Which were both still under copyright.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I enjoyed the reruns of Thriller as a kid. I don't think it holds up well at all. The only one of this genre that stood the test of time is The Twilight Zone.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the reruns of Thriller as a kid. I don't think it holds up well at all. The only one of this genre that stood the test of time is The Twilight Zone.
In your opinion. I think One Step Beyond is a great show. Twilight Zone is more clever but OSB gives me goosebumps. Can't say that about many shows.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I would include TOL as a show that also stands the test of time well. And it continues to give me the creeps at times. This is due in large part to the sound-world (music and otherwise) that the series inhabits.

By the way, I love OSB and own the set that is available. I would love to see a restoration of this series.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
We just started watching this last week for the very first time, and are about half way through season one. I have to say we are very impressed with the show. Knowing it pre-dated TZ and having seen some episodes of Tales of Tomorrow I had lowered expectations on the production value of the show. Boy was I wrong, the overall presentation and production values are on par with TZ. From a story telling standpoint I'll give TZ the nod for being more "clever" as Neil put it, but given the concept for the show and its bases on various documented accounts, I think it is very well done. After each episode we find ourselves googling to see what we can find. Now most don't bring up any results, but some do and it is very interesting when it does. And as Harry stated, the Lubin score is a key ingredient.

Anyone know if/when this was last syndicated? Based on my experience with the show, I would guess poor sales were most likely due to lack of syndicated exposure and all the PD releases floating around rather than the merits of the show itself. Since all appearances are that this may not get another shot from CBS, I guess I'll have to pick up the Mill Creek set just to be able to see another 38 or so more episodes.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I know it aired on t
smithbrad said:
Anyone know if/when this was last syndicated? Based on my experience with the show, I would guess poor sales were most likely due to lack of syndicated exposure and all the PD releases floating around rather than the merits of the show itself. Since all appearances are that this may not get another shot from CBS, I guess I'll have to pick up the Mill Creek set just to be able to see another 38 or so more episodes.
I remember seeing it on WPIX in the mid '80s and about one decade later, it turned on up on the Sci-Fi Channel (with a new, digitally-created opening title sequence--not the one that was on the syndication masters).

After the mid-90s, I'm not aware of any US showings, unless there were some local stations around that someone else could fill us in about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks