What's new

One Step Beyond -- Restored! (1 Viewer)

nicknicknickc

Auditioning
Real Name
nick campbell
As you can see, if you count all of the episodes in all three seasons, there were only 96 episodes produced. I don't know why some keep insisting there were 97. It isn't true. There were only 96.

nicknicknickc

Auditioning
Real Name
nick campbell
There were only 96 episodes in all, not 97, as some persist on as fact. Count the episodes above and you will see. There were 22 episodes in Season 1; 39 in Season 2; and 35 in Season 3. That's 96.

And that is official.

I have John Muir's book.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by nicknicknickc
There were only 96 episodes in all, not 97, as some persist on as fact. Count the episodes above and you will see. There were 22 episodes in Season 1; 39 in Season 2; and 35 in Season 3. That's 96.

And that is official.

I have John Muir's book.

Here's what happened. Somewhere along the line, an episode of the anthology series, Stars Over Hollywood from 1950, got somehow mixed into the packages of cheapo One Step Beyond DVD releases. I've never seen it but I assume someone just threw a One Step open and close onto to it. Anyway, showing how misinformation gets spread, this non-episode is now listed at epguides, classic tv archive and tv.com. However, I researched the date that they give, thinking that maybe they aired it on the show, similar to how Twilight Zone aired the French film, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. But both newspapers and TV Guide list the show as being pre-empted that night for a news special. So, now, a 97th episode does not exist.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
OK... going to bump this back up and hope someone will have some new information about this release?

It has been over a year since Season One release and the Halloween window came and went.

I am still waiting for the Official Season Two of OSB... any word as to the status from any insider or rumors?

Eric

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I loved the first season too so it's really disappointing it hasn't continued, slow sales numbers I guess... But people are starting to buy more again now, so hopefully something's on the horizon...

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I heard sales were abysmal which is a shame but not surprising. Too many people would rather save a few bucks and buy a cheap PD set of 3rd generation dubs from beat to hell 16mm prints than great quality 35mm transfers.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
I heard sales were abysmal which is a shame but not surprising. Too many people would rather save a few bucks and buy a cheap PD set of 3rd generation dubs from beat to hell 16mm prints than great quality 35mm transfers.
I don't think that many people remember the show. It doesn't get the same sort of TV play as Twilight Zone. What CBS DVD needs to do is almost run infommercials to promote upcoming DVD releases on TVLand - put on these shows for a week along with ads letting you know that the DVDs are coming out. Show off the quality of these new transfers. I'd barely heard of One Step Beyond and never saw it on local TV. You have to give viewers a taste before asking them to fork up the money for a boxset.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
It would be cool if CBS did issue TV spots for the First Season Set and also release Season 2 announcing the release of that set. It is a good show, and until I saw it on the Best Buy shelf the day of its release I had NEVER heard of the show and did a blind buy.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Corey3rd said:
I don't think that many people remember the show. It doesn't get the same sort of TV play as Twilight Zone. What CBS DVD needs to do is almost run infommercials to promote upcoming DVD releases on TVLand - put on these shows for a week along with ads letting you know that the DVDs are coming out. Show off the quality of these new transfers. I'd barely heard of One Step Beyond and never saw it on local TV. You have to give viewers a taste before asking them to fork up the money for a boxset.
Its one of my favorite show but it has gotten a lot of run I think. In NY, we had it in the 70s on Channel 5, then in the mid-80s it ran on Channel 11. SciFi Channel aired it in the 90s and it also ran for many, many years on WGN superstation in Chicago. I would think that a lot of people are familiar with it.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am going to bump this back up one more time.

I like The Twilight Zone and the original Outer Limits but also like equally One Step Beyond. Each show has their own theme and OSB was based on True Events which makes it even more unique. In this age of movies centering on the unknown or paranormal, wonder why people aren't picking up on this series?

Just the same, you would think that Paramount would at least offer the remaining episodes on a Limited Edition (limited pressing) or Burn to Order to help us who desire the complete set to be able to do so?

Eric

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
While one can never say never, this show is about as close to being definitely done as is possible. Thank the idiots at Worldvision who were negligent and never renewed the copyrights on 90% of the series.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

While one can never say never, this show is about as close to being definitely done as is possible. Thank the idiots at Worldvision who were negligent and never renewed the copyrights on 90% of the series.
I never understood WHY that happened?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
While I'd hardly use the word "good" to describe them, nearly half of the series is available on one set through Mill Creek. (The prints LOOK like they've been through the mill, too.) Still, if you grin and bear it, you can sort of appreciate the episodes, if not the quality of the video and audio.

I wish they'd have gone further with this set of releases, too. But the economy went south just as this was coming out, so either we'll have to wait that situation out, or wait for another form of releases (MOD, online viewing, etc.)

Harry

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for the information, Harry. I am on record countless times in this venue stating I am not overly fussy with P and S Q on PD DVDs as long as it is fairly watchable and priced accordingly. I have lots of Mill Creek and Alpha brand titles in my collection and haven't winced too often, so I know my tolerance level is probably greater than some in the hobby. And I'm watching everything on a 62 inch DLP!

Harry, do you have any idea how many of the unreleased episodes are included in the Mill Creek set? And how many would still be missing? I'm guessing it's not possible to build the entire series from the official CBS/Para set and then a piecemeal PD set. ???

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
There is no excuse for any company to put out shoddy PD DVDs when the 16mm film prints (even "dupe" 16mm prints) or quality transfers from stock footage outfits.

To save a few bucks up front,the end up create sub-standard videos. But most of these companies are only out to make money, and don't care about the quality of the product.

At least some of TIMELESS' PD stuff is good transfers.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DeWilson
There is no excuse for any company to put out shoddy PD DVDs when the 16mm film prints (even "dupe" 16mm prints) or quality transfers from stock footage outfits.

To save a few bucks up front,the end up create sub-standard videos. But most of these companies are only out to make money, and don't care about the quality of the product.

At least some of TIMELESS' PD stuff is good transfers.

You just found the excuse for yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks