What's new

*** Official OPEN RANGE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
It'll be a nice break from the CGI heavy stuff I've spent most of my summer watching. Plus Duvall adds loads of credibility.
I was thinking the same thing.

I'm not much of a fan of Costner's but since I am a big fan of Duvall's, I guess it all evens out.:D

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
"People are going to be dyin today, and I'm gonna be killin em."

I laugh everytime I hear that. I'll pass, unless the reviews are very positive.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Ever notice how almost all people enjoy westerns? The last good one I saw was "Tombstone" and this one looks like it's going to be a good one too. Didn't Kamen do the superb soundtrack on HBO's "Band of Brothers"?

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I'm excited for this film. I agree with the sentiments on CGI. I have gotten quite tired of that. I also think Costner is underrated. He certainly didn't help himself with Waterworld and The Postman, though. I will be seeing this one as the trailer has already convinced me. :D

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Ebert and Roeper gave it two thumbs up. Ebert's only complaint was about the love relationship involving Costner and Benning, while Roeper said it was beautifully made and one of the finest westerns since Unforgiven. There was talk that Duvall could be up for best supporting actor.

~T

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Ever notice how almost all people enjoy westerns?
Well, since I'm surrounded at work every day by people who hate westerns, no, I hadn't noticed :) This one looks interesting, though, and I'll probably see it this weekend. I like how it actually looks like a real western with real people in it, instead of Hollywood's usual approach of mimicking Young Guns.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
They are completely wrong. Reasons to follow.
Don't you mean " I disagree with their opinion, my opinion is forthcoming"?;)

I think it looks very good. I'm a Costner and Duvall fan so it's twice as enticing.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Don't you mean " I disagree with their opinion, my opinion is forthcoming"?
Well, yes, but that's not nearly as dramatic!;) I got home from the screening at 1 in the morning, and I'm still not completely awake, and didn't have the chance to pound out a review, but did have a lot of time to think about it while driving the hour home.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Open Range" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Open Range" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
In the review thread he mentions the character developement. I just assume Costner's character will be the same as all the rest, and I enjoyed him in those. Same as Duval. If they are the same people then I can enjoy it, because I like the other ones.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Steve,

You will. I liked Duval's character, and I like him. I don't like Costner, and I didn't like his. It all makes sense. ;)

My problem with the characters stemmed from the lack of depth and growth... the characters are set out in the beginning of the film, explained, and they never go anywhere. They don't show remorse for killing, they don't show concern for others... they seem autonomous of emotion. Eerie, really.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I very good western in my opinion with one of the best gunfights I've seen on film.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks