What's new

***Official CABIN FEVER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Joel D

Grip
Spoilers

to me the deer was supposed to look fake, him falling into the reservoir and jeffs death were supposed to be obvious. the movie does not really take itself to seriously, and much of it is a satire on these types of horror films. i like the fact that there is a bunch of unanswered stuff. they are not plot holes, they are just things in there to be absurd. i dont understand why everything needs to be spelled out for peopel and i do appreciate it when a film will purposfully put in dead end narraitves and plot devices to confound people. its my kind of humor.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Here's my take on this movie. I believe that a movie should NOT take an hour to get to what is supposed to be the whole gist of the story. I was bored to tears for the first hour or so. Only in the last 30 minutes did this movie come to life. Not only were we in the dark as to how the virus began in the first place, but there were just too many subplots to hold any one interest. What was up with the kid and biting everyone who sat next to him at the store? I may have had too high of expectations for this movie. The ending was totally ridiculous. The last survivor yelling "I made it, I made it." just about let you know the guy was going to get killed. A total ripoff of "Night of the Living Dead!!!" As for the gore........any one who has seen "Day of the Dead" knows what can be done with good gore effects. The gore effects in "Cabin Fever" were lacking in every which way. Overall, I'd give this movie rates no more than a 4. Still, it was better than "House of a 1000 Corpses."

Joel D

Grip
A total ripoff of "Night of the Living Dead!!!"
me thinks this was intentional. hell the whole ending was a shot at the absolute predictability and rediculousness of most horror films dragged out and blown out of proportion to an absurd level. hell there was even that absurdly stupid joke from the first reel tied up.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
As for the gore........any one who has seen "Day of the Dead" knows what can be done with good gore effects. The gore effects in "Cabin Fever" were lacking in every which way.
The film was made for about $250k using film school buddies and other people who wanted to help out for next to nothing. There wasn't a lot of money for special effects. I didn't mind it at all as the whole thing is fairly tongue-in-cheek as it is.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Someone please spoiler me the scene after the credits. The yahoo at my theater stopped the movie just when the scene was about to begin. I hate sitting through credits so it's even worse for me not to get the payoff.:angry:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It was only about 3 seconds:

The old guy from the store says, "Word!" to show he's hip wit' de ghetto lingo. Just a split-second continuation of the N-word joke. :rolleyes

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just saw it today and I really liked it. Sure, it took a while to get to the real meat of what the story was going towards, but that (IMO) made the payoff more worth it. I also really liked the style it was shot in (very 70s/80s horror film style) and the oddities of the storyline.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Speaking of horror film homages, did anyone else notice the "shemp" credits at the end? A great tip-of-the-hat to Raimi.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I guess my letdown with this film is that I was really, really hoping for a true to the genre, gore filled, honest to goodness horror film. I am so sick of all the parodies that have gone on in the genre the last couple of years. I think it started for me when I went to see "Army of Darkness." I was so disappointed and actually felt betrayed that the filmmaker had turned the "Evil Dead" series into a bad joke. That is basically why I detested "House of 1000 Corpses" so much. I waited so long for both these movies to come out, and with high anticipation, that after seeing them I felt cheated. Oh well, such is life.:)

Herm C

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,

Those were basically my sentiments as well. Felt cheated with no actual stabbings shown. It really bothers me the way the stabbings, and other gorey delights couldn't have been shown on camera.

Bring back the classics.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Just saw it and thought it was great. Nice combo of laughs and gore with a little T&A sprinkled in.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Hunter P- which theater did you see this at? I saw it at Century Roseville and nothing was cut off, though the automation tape to bring the lights up showed up onscreen, and they left a bit of leader on the beginning of one reel.
(Asking this just because I worked in the business for 10 years, leaving because of a ridiculous policy at one theater.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I finally remembered where I'd seen the brunette (Cerina Vincent) before: in "Not Another Teen Movie" where she was the topless foreign exchange student, and before that, she was one of the Power Rangers.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, she was also on MTV's UNDRESSED. I frickin' adore her with every fiber of my being!

Also, while horror does not need gore to be succesful, I can't see how anyone thinks this film wasn't very gory, but oh well.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Also, while horror does not need gore to be succesful, I can't see how anyone thinks this film wasn't very gory, but oh well.
Amen, Justin! We may have disagreed on some things in the past, but when it comes to Cabin Fever, I'm with you 100%.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Ok, I must be losing my interest in horror movies, because I just saw this movie last night, and thought it was the worst piece of crap I have seen in awhile. I'm pissed I wasted my money. I wanted to see Jason vs Freddy, but my nearby theater didnt have it, so I saw this instead. My wife and I and my buddy that went last night all hated it. It wasn't scary in the least. However, it did have plenty of gore, and some good "nekkidness".

I guess I am more of a suspense fan, than cheesy gore! Gore is never scary. I am sure Jason vs Freddy will be lacking as well, but since I have seen all of both Jason and Freddy movies, I have to see the latest one.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Since when have true horror films been filled with gore? Psycho, anyone?
Well, the way the film is marketed, one is,well, expecting GORE. My biggest problem with the film is the way the movie drags on and on for an hour and then mercifully, finally something somewhat significant happens. And talk about drivel in the dialogue, did we really have to be subjected to the explanation of the sexual goings on between the one guy and his dog? For those who like their horror/comedy movies merged then, I guess you were satisfied. I sure as heck didn't find anything remotely funny in the movie. As for the references to other movies (homage?), why bother, they should make a movie that stands on its own merits, not one that relies on a viewers memories of other films. What if someone never saw the movie being referenced? I for one want to be frightened at a horror movie, not bored to tears for the first hour. Giving this movie a D- would be doing it a favor.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
However, it did have plenty of gore, and some good "nekkidness".
So, did it have too much gore or not enough :)

BTW, I thought the suspense was fantastic for the most part. My only problem was a few too many "jump scares."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks