***Official CABIN FEVER Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Justin_S, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I don't know how many people here have heard of this upcoming film, but I've been following it for a good while now, and it definitely seems like a film to be reckoned with! CABIN FEVER has one of the coolest sounding storylines I've heard in a while, and some people have called it the EVIL DEAD of the 00's, while I personally think it sounds better than EVIL DEAD. Anyhow, the film's excellent plot is as follows:

A group of teens go to a remote cabin for a graduation party, and while there, a hunter stumbles into their camp with a strange virus that he contracted from a dead dog which causes a person's flesh to rot off and lead to a very painful demise. Soon, one of their own has contracted the disease, and the teens realize they are in deep shit. They begin to fear each other, wondering who may have the virus now, and to try and save themselves, they turn on each other. They also must now contend with a renegade mob hellbent on destroying the virus permanently.

Everyone on this board should know how big of a horror nut I am now, and I think this film has spectacular potential! Lion's Gate, who has been on a real roll with horror genre films lately, have picked it up, and here is the story from reallyscary.com:

Cabin Fever U.S. Release News
    Dark Horizons reports Cabin Fever has gotten a good Hollywood buzz going on and Director Eli Roth has told Upcoming Horror Movies the good news about the US domestic release plans: "I am psyched to tell you that Cabin Fever will have a wide theatrical release. We were lucky enough to be the prize in a bidding war between seven studios (including New Line, Miramax, Revolution, UA) and the winner was Lion's Gate, who made a very aggressive offer. It was the most money they have ever paid for an acquisition, and they committed $12 million to prints and advertising, which is the most money they have ever spent promoting a film. This will guarantee anywhere from 1,500 - 2,000 screens. Even better, we submitted our film to the MPAA and miraculously got an R. Don't ask me how, but I'm thrilled. I was worried we'd get slapped with an NC-17. Lion's Gate has not yet set a release date, but they are going out with the film this summer."

------------------

I can without a shadow of a doubt say that I will be first in line on opening day! Lion's Gate frickin' rules!

2. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

3. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I saw this one at the Film Festival Last year
    and it was one heck of a fun time. I can definitely
    see why they would call it Evil Dead for the 00's.
    I definitely recommend everyone see this when it does
    come out. It's one of the better Horror films in awile
    to come along. I know I will check it out again. Oh also
    just a little note, when I was watching this one I noticed
    that one of the actors looked familiar and it is none
    other than Rider Strong who used to be on the tv show
    Boy Meets World.

-Mike

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Sounds cool! Horror films have been improving lately and I couldn't be happier about that! [​IMG] First Jeepers Creepers, then The Others, then The Ring, hell even Fear Dot Com was decent, now this.

I hope it lives up to it.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

8. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Dog Soldiers was a good movie?!?! [​IMG] I checked that one out based on some forum members recomendations and was severely let down.Cabin fever sounds like a MUCH better movie Just IMHO [​IMG] Dog soldiers was a neat concept executed horribly.I wouldnt come down on Justin for his tastes,we all have different likes obviously [​IMG]

Luis S

9. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Holadem, while I do like gore, it is not what I care about the most, and I could care less if a horror film has one iota of gore as long as its a good film. Do you remember my THE RING anticipation thread last year? That film had hardly any gore, but I love it greatly, and refer to it as a new classic. So gore isn't what matters to me most, but gore isn't a bad thing either. [​IMG]

As for the concept, the cabin thing may be tired, but the disease and mob part sound great to me, and as much as its been done, the cabin thing doesn't bother me. Plus the film has gotten several rave reviews. Regardless, I can't wait to see it!

10. Joseph Tidline

Joseph Tidline Supporting Actor

I like the sound of this film and will definately be checking this one out. I have to admit that I was probably one of the few people who didn't like Evil Dead but this sounds more to my liking.

11. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Sounds like two halves of Carpenters two best films...

The Thing: Group of people in a remote location are visited by a person(dog, whatever) and one or more of them are infected with...something. Paranoia ensues.

Assault On Precinct 13: group of people in a remote location come under siege by a renegade mob(gang, whatever).

Count me in.[​IMG]

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Any movie that concerns a "group of teens" is automatically sent to my "Do not bother watching until video" list.[​IMG]

And just how remote can a cabin be if an angry mob can get to it in a 90-minute movie?[​IMG]

13. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Easy - the Group Of Teens is from the city, and assumes that any place that's more than 200 yards from a Starbucks is in a remote area. The Angry Mob gathered at Mabel's Diner (coffee choices: Regular and that other crap), which is about a half a mile from the ol' Simpson place, where you turn where the big tree used to be, before it fell over in the storm of 73 and took out the rock wall that George used to make his wife's rock garden. The walk from Mabel's place won't take more than 15-20 minutes, even with a stop to gather Implements of Destruction.

Heck, my main problem with the Blair Witch thing was "You idiots! You're lost! Go downhill! You'll come to something!"

14. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

So this isn't the sequel to Cabin Boy? [​IMG]

15. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

I wish. [​IMG]

16. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Uh, no. Just because it has the word "cabin" in the title doesn't mean its going to be a sequel to that (IMO very lame) comedy. Plus, my thread header clearly states that this is a horror film.

17. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

18. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

19. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Dude. He was joking.

Hey look! Another horror movie Justin's calling a mega-classic (and better than The Evil Dead!) before it even gets released!

Bah, I'm just kiddin', J-man. You know I love the horror stuff as much as anyone. (I can personally guarantee that you'll adore 28 Days Later.)

Nice to see Lion's Gate paying attention to the horror vibe these days. Considering how many Gorehounds there are out there, it seems a smart business move.

Plus like Julie said: it's been a good couple of years for horror flicks.

20. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I've heard read some good things about an Australian indie called Undead. Pity there doesn't seem to be a US distributor yet.

(Come on, who here doesn't want to see zombie fish?)

I'm much more excited about Undead and 28 Days Laters (and House of 1000 Corpses) than anything that gets a huge Hollywood buzz. Hope I'm wrong, but that puts up a lot of warning flags for me.