What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Last night's fiasco could be a blessing in disguise. I figured the only way the league may budge on this referee dispute is if a controversial call happens in a nationally televised game and costs a win to one of the popular teams (Packers, New York team, Pats, Steelers, Cowboys). If this does not change the league's stance, then nothing will.
In the Lions game, the officials marked off 27 yards for a personal foul during Tennessee's drive for a FG in OT. Also on that drive, they reversed a Titans reception despite there being no definitive evidence to overturn the call.
In the SF - Minnesota game, officials awarded the 49ers TWO replay challenges to which they were not entitled because they were out of timeouts.
It's one thing to get judgement calls incorrect, but these officials cannot even get simple game administration calls right.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Agreed.
The penultimate play (the one preceding the final extra point) last night included two of the best calls I've ever seen on one play. I've been hearing a lot about the ruling on a 'simultaneous catch,' but very little on a 'simultaneous call.' ;)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I wonder if those replacement refs were too scared to reverse the call, at the risk of fans throwing things at them. While I was rooting for the Seahawks to win, the Packers clearly got hosed in this game. And that whole thing with the extra point, just unbelievable, to say the least. Sometimes I wonder, why even bother if the time ran out? I mean, they don't do that when a touchdown is scored in overtime.

They also did not call the offensive pass interference, but according to John Gruden, they are rarely called during a Hail Mary.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walter C said:
I wonder if those replacement refs were too scared to reverse the call, at the risk of fans throwing things at them.
I am sure that came into play. The replacement refs are clearly intimidated and in over their heads, as can be seen in many games. During the Sunday night Ravens - Pats game, there were numerous shoving matches going on, and the refs never tossed a single flag. They had no control over the game. I have watched plays where a ref will watch a play, not make any call, a player will jump up and do the phantom "throw a flag" pantomime, the ref will see this, and then throw a flag. So, the replacement refs are letting players make penalty calls, too.
Also, the 49ers getting the two replay challenges they were not entitled to were clearly the result of Jim Harbaugh bullying the officials into giving him the challenges.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Merryfield said:
Also on that drive, they reversed a Titans reception despite there being no definitive evidence to overturn the call.
The regular refs have been known to do that. There have been numerous incidents over the years of an unclear replay situation, and you watch all the replays and agree with the network commentators when they remark that there's not enough evidence to overturn the call, then it's overturned anyway.
It doesn't appear that the MNF situation is going to get the NFL to speed things up with the negotiating process. Aside from the fact that they said Tate should have been flagged for offensive PI, which would have ended the game in the Packers' favor, they seem to be standing by the rest of the debacle (that it was judged simultaneous possession, in favor of the offense, and there was no indisputable evidence to overturn on replay).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've heard today: "Refs are overpaid, though, at $160k, you know.. it's 16 games, they all have other jobs..."

And I thought: well, if you were one of the 100 best people to do your job in the country, 160k doesn't sound outrageous. More then that, I bet the replacement refs understand why now.. nationwide people know their NAMES and when they screw up, people call into shows "oh that XYZ, boy he really screwed the pooch.." Hey, you are taking a job where even great refs will make a mistake and get railed.
The problem is these refs don't believe they belong there anyway; so when things start going bad it just spirals out of control because they are afraid to make the calls.. and chaos breaks loose. Just pay the damn refs the money. It's chump change in comparison to how stupid this is looking.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
One can hope, I suppose. :)
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8427652/locked-nfl-referees-return-early-week-sources

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The sad part about MNF...
I started watching DVR stuff once Seattle gave the ball back, for what I thought was, the last time...
I then watch SportsCenter to see Seattle won and I was like...well cool...
Then I backtrack and was like...really?
REALLY???

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I asked my friend -- a diehard Packers fan -- about the game. His response? "Yeah, the Seahawks won the game on a last-second Green Bay interception." LOL.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
All it took was a MNF fiasco against the Pack. If the same play had occurred during a 1pm Sunday game between Jacksonville and Tennessee, the replacement refs would still be at work.
If Green Bay misses the playoffs by one win, there will be howling in Wisconsin.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
LOL. When did the Patriots leave the NFL? This will probably be corrected before too long. But the standings currently read:
New York Jets 2-2
Buffalo 2-2
Miami 1-3
Miami 1-3
http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
A week or so ago, a couple of ESPN writers were suggesting that the kickoff ought to be eliminated because of the injury factor. Despite yesterday's fiasco in Detroit, I would not want to see it go. I think it's an integral part of the game, even after the rules changes that have occurred over the past few years.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not think the kickoff should be eliminated, either, but the NFL sure has made it less interesting due to moving the kickoff back to the 35 yard line. Combine that with the way the networks have done the commercial breaks for the last couple of years -- score, go to long commercial break, show kickoff, go to another commercial break -- and all the extra touchbacks have caused me to flip the channel for extended periods of time and missed some actual returns.
The NCAA has an interesting twist to this. While they moved the kickoff up, they also now mark the ball at the 25 yard line after a touchback. There is a little more incentive to keep the kickoff in play. Of course, that defeats the main reason for moving the kickoff up -- reducing injuries incurred on the kick returns.
So, does Sean Payton get any votes for Coach of the Year -- similar to Peyton Manning for MVP last year? :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
I do not think the kickoff should be eliminated, either, but the NFL sure has made it less interesting due to moving the kickoff back to the 35 yard line. Combine that with the way the networks have done the commercial breaks for the last couple of years -- score, go to long commercial break, show kickoff, go to another commercial break -- and all the extra touchbacks have caused me to flip the channel for extended periods of time and missed some actual returns.
The NCAA has an interesting twist to this. While they moved the kickoff up, they also now mark the ball at the 25 yard line after a touchback. There is a little more incentive to keep the kickoff in play. Of course, that defeats the main reason for moving the kickoff up -- reducing injuries incurred on the kick returns.
So, does Sean Payton get any votes for Coach of the Year -- similar to Peyton Manning for MVP last year? :D
Scott,
Gosh, I really despise those commercial breaks as well. I just leave the mute on for much of the time -- sometimes even through those breaks (score, long commercial break, kickoff, etc.) you mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks