What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've gotten into the habit of DVRing games and waiting till the game is an hour old or more. Does away with all those pesky commercials.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Johnny,
That's how we handle most everything we view on television, except that we wait about fifteen minutes for television shows. But it does the trick very nicely. :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The lengthy commercial breaks are the reasons why I don't watch entire games as much as I did in the past. At times, I find myself just using the games as background noise, and get other things done.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Johnny Angell said:
I've gotten into the habit of DVRing games and waiting till the game is an hour old or more. Does away with all those pesky commercials.
Exactly. That was the main reason I hopped on the "DVR train" way back yonder. Even last night...
I watched POI, Glee, 2.5 men, BBT, X-Fact and (the other eludes me) all after the fact. Went back and forth to the game....
Thanks NFL network for "needing programming"...nobody likes it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I watched the NFL Redzone this past weekend, rather than the single late afternoon game. That was great, as you get to see the highlights and relevant live action from all the games in progress, and there are no commercials.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Malcolm R said:
I watched the NFL Redzone this past weekend, rather than the single late afternoon game. That was great, as you get to see the highlights and relevant live action from all the games in progress, and there are no commercials.
Malcolm,
I like the Red Zone as well and watch it often (sometimes when another channel has gone to a commercial!) However, there are commercials on the Red Zone channel, just far fewer of them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Johnny Angell said:
Does the red zone come with standard Sunday Ticket or the upgraded one?
This channel shows up on my on-screen guide for Comcast, which surprised me. I thought this was a DirecTV exclusive. I have never flipped to it during the games to see if I get it with our HD package.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ockeghem said:
Malcolm,
I like the Red Zone as well and watch it often (sometimes when another channel has gone to a commercial!) However, there are commercials on the Red Zone channel, just far fewer of them.
Hmmm. I don't recall any for the couple of hours I watched. We get it here as part of the Sports Tier on Charter cable.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Malcolm,
It's very true that there are far fewer commercial breaks. I seem to recall them at around halftime of most games, and between the early afternoon and late afternoon games. It's still a wonderful channel, though. I particularly like the cut-ins to the games live (or almost live in some cases). It's great hearing the local sportscasters from various cities calling their games.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It appears that Andrew Luck is the real deal. That was quite a performance yesterday, bringing the Colts back to beat the Packers.
I am not sure who the best QB in the league is, but I'm pretty certain the worst is Blaine Gabbert.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
For people who wish to see NFL highlights - look at ESPN (which one and time I don't know)The program is NFL Primetime and is on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday is better because it also has highlights from the Monday nite game.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Scott Merryfield said:
It appears that Andrew Luck is the real deal. That was quite a performance yesterday, bringing the Colts back to beat the Packers.
I am not sure who the best QB in the league is, but I'm pretty certain the worst is Blaine Gabbert.
I agree about Luck. And it's always GREAT to see the Packers lose !!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Alex Karras passed away yesterday.

I only learned recently that he played in the NFL for some time, as I remembered him as the dad on Webster.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter C said:
Alex Karras passed away yesterday.
I only learned recently that he played in the NFL for some time, as I remembered him as the dad on Webster.
Walter,
Yep. I watched him play while I was growing up. I believe I read that he was also present at the game where Tom Dempsey kicked his 63-yard field goal to win the game over the Lions (November 8, 1970).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Walter,
Yep. I watched him play while I was growing up. I believe I read that he was also present at the game where Tom Dempsey kicked his 63-yard field goal to win the game over the Lions (November 8, 1970).
Yes, Karras was on the field for Dempsey's field goal. I remember watching that game -- probably my first time experiencing disappointment as a young Lions fan. Of course, there would be many, many more disappointments to come.
Walter, Alex Karras was also on Monday Night Football and played Mongo in Blazing Saddles after he retired. In his playing days, he was considered a very good defensive lineman. He was a first round draft pick, and also played in Iowa's first ever Rose Bowl appearance. He, along with Paul Hornung of the Packers, was suspended from the NFL for a year for gambling on NFL games.
RIP Alex.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Yes, Karras was on the field for Dempsey's field goal. I remember watching that game -- probably my first time experiencing disappointment as a young Lions fan. Of course, there would be many, many more disappointments to come.
Walter, Alex Karras was also on Monday Night Football and played Mongo in Blazing Saddles after he retired. In his playing days, he was considered a very good defensive lineman. He was a first round draft pick, and also played in Iowa's first ever Rose Bowl appearance. He, along with Paul Hornung of the Packers, was suspended from the NFL for a year for gambling on NFL games.
RIP Alex.
Scott,
It wasn't until many years later after having researched that field goal by Dempsey (which I saw the day it occurred as well, but I believe it was a replay later that day) that I realized that it took place on my mother's birthday. I remember the day being quite rainy, and that the score was 19-17, Saints (17-16 Lions before the field goal). It was a very exciting play for me to see at such a young age.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
It wasn't until many years later after having researched that field goal by Dempsey (which I saw the day it occurred as well, but I believe it was a replay later that day) that I realized that it took place on my mother's birthday. I remember the day being quite rainy, and that the score was 19-17, Saints (17-16 Lions before the field goal). It was a very exciting play for me to see at such a young age.
I remember the details of where I was, too, even though I was only 9 at the time. We were at my aunt & uncle's house, and I was watching the game in their family room while the family was in the other room. I remember thinking "he'll never make this -- the Lions are going to win", and then watching the ball go through the uprights.
Ironically, had this been a home game, I never would have seen the kick, as all NFL home games were blacked out in the local market back then -- even if the game was a sellout. For years, the entire extended family used to listen together to the Thanksgiving Day game on the radio, since it was always blacked out on TV.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
I watched the game (or the replay) in New England back in 1970. I also recall that the Lions defeated the Packers 40-0 earlier that year. I believe that that game was at Green Bay, too.
On another note, there is no way that the Steelers ought to have lost that game last night.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/56635/time-to-get-concerned-about-the-steelers
The Titans aren't exactly a juggernaut, and the Steelers let that game slip away (granted they didn't play very well during certain parts of the game). They should also have beaten Oakland earlier in the season.
How would you like to have the Houston Texans' next two games? They're playing Green Bay and Baltimore. Fortunately for them, both games are at home.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The way Green Bay is playing, that game is not as scary for Houston as we would have thought at the beginning of the season. If I were a Packers fan, I would be concerned whether Aaron Rodgers will get out of the game alive. His offensive line has had difficulty protecting Rodgers, and the Texans have a scary defense -- lead by J.J. Watt.
Yes, I fear this will not be Pittsburgh's year. They started the year injured, and it has not gotten any better. They were missing Mendenhall, Harrison, Polumalu, and their first round pick offensive lineman to start the year, lost Lamar Woodley last week and two offensive linemen last night -- plus Ryan Clark did not play in Denver. Also, their special teams have been less than stellar, and they are still adjusting to their new offensive coordinator.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks