What's new

NFL 2010 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

You know that San Diego is going to beat the Patriots. You just know it -- probably 38-14.

Rivers was sacked seven (7!) times yesterday. What is wrong with that offensive line?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Ockeghem As for beating the Pats, even though it is at home, I doubt it. The Patriots play like pros. The Chargers, not so much.

I was reading an article about the game and it referred to the Chargers having the 2nd ranked offense and defense ( or something really close to that) going into that game. So how does a team ranked that high in offense and defense end up 2-4? Simple, they're the Chargers.

I think we now have a trend here, Turner simply cannot get him team ready to play when the season starts. 4 years in a row they start 2-3 and now they are 2-4. I sincerely hope this is his last season in San Diego. He should be an offensive coordinator, he has no business being a head coach.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
After watching the Patriots - Ravens game yesterday, I think the Ravens are one of the best -- if not the best -- teams in the NFL this year. Their defense looks almost as good as it did in 2001. And while some of the announcers were touting how good the Ravens offense(?) is this year, IMO it's primarily their defense that has them at 4-2 (and almost at 5-1). I wouldn't want my team facing them in the playoffs. Just ask the Jets and Pittsburgh.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Here are some quotes from the S.D. paper to put your comment into perspective:

Sunday’s 20-17 loss to the heretofore horrendous [url=http://topics.signonsandiego.com/topic/St._Louis_Rams]St. Louis Rams
marked the fourth time in four tries that the Chargers have lost a road game to a team that lost at least 11 games last season.

Kansas City, Seattle , Oakland and St. Louis were a composite 15-49 in 2009. More recently, the Rams last week sustained a 44-6 shellacking from the chronically dreadful Detroit Lions . Going 0-for-4 against these guys is like having sand kicked in your face by Justin Bieber.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No thoughts on this weekend's games?

--Browns clobber the defending champion Saints? Yes, that was the "Browns," aided by Brees' four interceptions?

Don't know what's going on down in the Big Easy, but it doesn't look like the Saints are any danger to repeat.

--Chargers leave a live ball just laying on the field...twice?

Instead of on-field practice this week, I think Turner just needs to sit everyone in a classroom and go over the NFL rule book. Remedial reading. The fact that they still had a chance to win the game after all that speaks volumes to how overrated the anemic Patriot offense has been this season. Yes, the Pats have been scoring quite a few points, but a good share of those are scored by the defense and special teams.

--The half-replay reversal in Miami vs. Pittsburgh?

I'm not sure what other call could be made. There was definitely no way to see in the replay who had possession at the bottom of the pile, and after the on-field call was a touchdown, the officials didn't bother to dismantle the pile to check. But it still seems like a cheap ending to the game. Maybe they should do another coin-toss in those situations, similar to a jump ball in NBA when possession isn't clear?

--Favre throws three picks and apparently gets teary-eyed...again...in the locker room?

Don't know why Favre keeps breaking down. I don't even really like the man, but it was a small group of Vikings who essentially twisted his arm to come back yet again. They are the ones who should be taking the blame for the implosion for insisting that a past-his-prime QB lead their team.

--Cutler throws four interceptions to the same defensive player?

Cutler's always been overrated IMO. I've never understood why he seemed to be "in demand" as a QB. And he's obviously insane if he keeps making the same pass to the same player/area and expecting a different result. Apparently that area/player is well-covered Jay, throw it somewhere else.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun (There wasn't anybody anywhere near where he threw the ball).

Yeah, I forgot about the Raiders. I wonder if Al Davis was awake to see the event?

Those Rodgers passes were weird. I thought maybe he lost a contact lens or something. Once is a miscommunication, 4 or 5 times is just ridiculous.

I keep waiting for Mike Singletary's head to explode, Scanners style, at the end of one of these Niners games.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The NFL came out and said the TD to Shianco should of never been overturned. I've watched a lot of games this year, but that Packers Vikings game was the worst officiated game I can remember this year.

I'm a Cowboys fan, but will someone please tell me why this team at 1-5 deserves so much air time? Must be the first team in NFL history to start 1-5 but the media is not ready to say they are done.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

I'm a Cowboys fan, but will someone please tell me why this team at 1-5 deserves so much air time? Must be the first team in NFL history to start 1-5 but the media is not ready to say they are done.

The Sunday nite and Monday nite games are generally decided before the season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Cuz they're "America's Team," don-cha know? *Yeeeeeeeeeee-Haaaaw!* If ya don't like the Cowboys, you must be a freakin' Commie!

Seriously, though, who knows. There are teams in every sport that seem to gain a lion's share of the attention while other teams are forgotten. In baseball, we're all supposed to bow and scrape at the altar of the Yankess and Red Sox. In basketball, the Celtics and Lakers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, considering the Steelers luck with coin flips -- remember the Thanksgiving Day game vs. the Lions several years ago? -- maybe a coin toss is not the fairest way to determine that game. [/url]

--The half-replay reversal in Miami vs. Pittsburgh?

I'm not sure what other call could be made. There was definitely no way to see in the replay who had possession at the bottom of the pile, and after the on-field call was a touchdown, the officials didn't bother to dismantle the pile to check. But it still seems like a cheap ending to the game. Maybe they should do another coin-toss in those situations, similar to a jump ball in NBA when possession isn't clear?

[/quote]

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"So, when the Bills finally win a game will the 2008 Detroit Lions pop the champagne?"

LOL! Good one. A little sad, but still funny.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Vikings have released Randy Moss!

I am not sure which preseason playoff favorite is a bigger train wreck right now -- Minnesota or Dallas. However, I am enjoying the collapse of both.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I read that the Vikings are trying to get the trade rescinded so they get their 3rd round pick back from the Pats, and the Pats get Moss back. Weird.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cannot understand how the NFL would rescind the trade. It certainly is not like Minnesota didn't know what they were getting into with Moss -- he played for them before, and he was let go by them because of his attitude, not his talent. Is the league supposed to let the Vikings off the hook because Childress couldn't tell Favre "No" when he wanted Moss?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Moss' heart sure does seem still to be with New England. But there are a plethora of teams ahead of the Patriots -- assuming they even wanted him back -- who could claim him first. I'm wondering if Moss not only likes Bill B., but also realizes that a 2-5 team has a very good chance of not even making the playoffs. Hmmm.

That was an okay game last night. I was rooting for the Texans, but I didn't think a season sweep of the Colts would occur. Despite all of their injuries, Indianapolis can still put the ball in the endzone almost at will. This has something to do with a guy named Manning.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"It wouldn't surprise me if he cleared waivers and then resigned with New England."

This is where I am leaning at present as well. I don't think I'd mind seeing it happen. I like the idea of having a contributing (happy?) Moss paired with Branch as deep threats, and Welker and Tate (among others) for shorter gains. Now if we could only get Moss not to speak until after a (possible) Super Bowl victory....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks