What's new

NFL 2010 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Originally Posted by Malcolm R

As a Pittsburgh fan, I've long maintained that Roethlisberger can be as much of a curse as a blessing at times. I've never bought into this idea that the whole team, and its success, rests on his shoulders. Batch & Dixon have usually proven to be very good when called upon, so I'm not overly surprised at the team's success behind them and without Roethlisberger.

It's my dream that they'd consider letting Batch start even after Ben's suspension is over, but I suppose they pay Ben too much money to be a back-up. But like Andy Reid in Philly, the team should select whatever combination of players gives them the best chance to win, not just who's "expected" to start. I would rather see the Steelers continue behind Batch/Dixon, who have proven they can drive the team to a win with its current roster, than have the team switch back to Roethlisberger, who in all likelihood will be kind of rusty after four weeks away from the team.

I'm a big Steelers fan, too. I wouldn't go that far regarding Big Ben, though. He clearly gives them the best chance of winning of their QB's. After all, the guy is one of only two active quarterbacks to have won multiple Super Bowls. While it's amazing that Pittsburgh is 3-0 playing with their backup QB's -- including 4th stringer Charlie Batch -- they still need Roethlisberger if they want to make a serious run the another Super Bowl. I loved seeing Batch -- a former Lion and Eastern Michigan player, and a really good guy -- perform well yesterday, but I certainly do not expect him to be able to lead a team to the playoffs.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I was sad to read that George Blanda past away. I remember going to the games as a kid thinking wow is he old and now that I think about it he was older then I am right now and he was still playing. He retired just short of his 49th birthday.

He was one of a kind and there will never be another like him again.

RIP, you were a real Raider.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Anyone want to jump into a time machine and bet that, after 3 games, the unbeatens would be Ben-less Steelers, Chiefs, and Bears?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I didn't see any of the game (went golfing instead for the 2nd Sunday in a row), but the Lions road losing streak is now 23 games and counting. Just one more to tie their own pathetic record.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
As a Steelers fan, although I'm dissapointed with the loss today, the big picture is that we're 3-1 after four weeks without Big Ben. Before the season started I was figuring 2-2 at best. Tied for first (essentially) in the AFC North headed into week 6 and getting Ben back. If the Steelers' D can continue to play at the level they are now, watch out now that we have an offense to go along with it.

We're 3-1 going into week six and our franchise QB hasn't taken a single hit. Quite a nice position to be in.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Once again, the Lions are heavy favorites to destroy their opponent. I'm getting a bit weary of their offensive prowess, especially when they come up against powerhouses like St. Louis.

That was a very fine win for New England last night. It was pleasing to see their defense (and especially their special teams) show up, and even more gratifying to see that this occurred on the road. I can't wait for their Monday night match-up with the Jets quite a ways down the road. Now they have a bye, and the week after that they get the team that knocked them out of the playoffs last year. It should be a fun contest.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just when you think you've seen everything, last night's MNF game featured TDs from a blocked field attempt, an interception, a kick-off run-back; the first time that happened all in one game. And Randy Moss didn't even catch a pass (first in 50+ games with the Patriots).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was shocked to see the final score of last night's game -- I went to bed at halftime with Miami leading 7-6. From the highlights, it looked like a wild 2nd half. The Dolphins have already fired their special teams coach as a result.

The Chiefs are now the only undefeated team left. The '72 Dolphins can probably chill the champagne.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"The '72 Dolphins can probably chill the champagne."

Agreed. And with the new 18-game season almost upon us, that will mean a minimum of 21 games will need to be won to achieve 'perfection.' The Patriots superceded the 17-0 '72 Dolphins a few years ago in wins during one and the same season (18-0); however, we know the result of that season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Just when you think you've seen everything, last night's MNF game featured TDs from a blocked field attempt, an interception, a kick-off run-back; the first time that happened all in one game. And Randy Moss didn't even catch a pass (first in 50+ games with the Patriots).

A touchdown by rushing and another by receiving were also part of that five-part stat given on ESPN last night. And a blocked punt eventually led to another touchdown, but it occurred on a subsequent play.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A Moss trade seems to be a win for both the Vikings and the Pats. Minnesota is trying to win now, and giving up a 3rd round pick for Moss helps with a depleted receiving group. The Pats get a 3rd round pick (they gave up a fourth rounder for him) and get rid of someone who's been moping around the locker room and on the field this season because he wants a new contract. Moss will probably step up his game playing for a new team and with a new contract (that has been his pattern in the past).

The downside for the Pats is they lose a major weapon on offense (although Moss has been pretty invisible so far this season). If Brandon Tate can fill the Moss role, though, they will be okay, especially with their two rookie tight ends, who both have looked very promising so far.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I am fairly certain that Bill B. doesn't need the baggage at this point. And as Scott says, Moss has been rather invisible on the field lately.

The Patriots looked very strong against the Dolphins. If they handle the Ravens similarly after the bye, this could be a team to be reckoned with down the road. I'm really hoping that the Jets game was a wake-up call for them.

BTW, I love Tate thus far. I'm hoping that last game wasn't a fluke.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The Pats may be looking long term anyway. They have Oaklands first round pick and could get AJ Green from Georgia.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, Moss has reverted to his petulant, pouting self this season, so it's time to flush him. The distractions outweigh his talents at this point in NE. He hasn't displayed any kind of special ability recently that would make him irreplaceable, IMO.

And he should have caught that touchdown on Monday night.

I don't really understand this issue of contract extensions. As long as you have a contact for the current season, why worry about next year? If you do your job, and do it well, you'll likely get a nice new contract anyway.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I don't really understand this issue of contract extensions. As long as you have a contact for the current season, why worry about next year? If you do your job, and do it well, you'll likely get a nice new contract anyway.

Malcolm,

I agree -- the distractions outweigh his talents at this point.

I too am at a loss as to why players want that next contract in place before the current one is expired. At my place of employment, we are currently working without a contract. But, it will get done. And when it does, all will be well. Maybe Moss (and others) want that contract in place as an insurance policy against injury? Or maybe diminishing performance? Or perhaps something else? I don't really know why players want their extensions as quickly as they often seem to want them. And as you say, if you do your job and do it well, then a new contract is most likely a given.

I just had another thought. Do you suppose that Moss is worried about a potential lockout next year, in which case he would not be paid without a contract? Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks