NFL 2010 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Merryfield, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Congrats to all the Packers fans out there. While the Steelers did shoot themselves in the foot with the turnovers and poorly-timed penalties, Green Bay was able to take advantage of each turnover and avoid making similar mistakes. I was surprised that Pittsburgh even had a chance to still win the game at the end, as I thought the Packers were the better team that day.

I thought there was something odd during the national anthem, but we had quite a few guests at our house, so I was not listening closely. I didn't learn until this morning that Aguilera indeed messed up the lyrics.

2. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    And congrats to Aaron Rodgers for being the Super Bowl MVP, something even Favre didn't won, and out of the shadow of his predecessor. Now they each have 1 SB apiece.

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Two great football teams with incredible history behind them. Yesterday the Green Bay Packers executed their game better than the Steelers. It was a fun game to watch with two awesome quarterbacks. I would have loved to have seen Bart Starr carry the Lombardi trophy up to the podium.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Yeah, that's true. Why do I think the game was lost rather than won? Well 3rd down efficiency was 53% Pitt, vs 46% for GB. Neither great. Pitt had 19 to GB's 15 first downs. Pitt had 387 net yards to GB's 338. The Steelers had the advantage without the turnovers. Yeah, the turnovers were three good defensive plays, but GB could have put the game away in the first half and at least by the end of the 3rd quarter, but their receivers kept dropping balls.

I once read many years ago that the most devastating defensive play was an interception returned for a TD. Not sure if that's still true, but it is in the SB. With 2 minutes to go, the Steelers had a chance to win. It shouldn't have been close at that point.

The Steelers receive the kickoff after GB's 1st quarter TD and get a good runback which is negated by a penalty. That penalty was the play of the game. Without it, the Steelers start in very good field position. Bad play by the Steelers. Than on the kickoff after GB's last score, they do it again and Pitt has to start inside the 10. Another bad, stupid play.

Take too bad, stupid plays out of the game and I think the Steelers win, IMHO. To me, it was more the Steelers lose than GB wins. I wouldn't classify it as a great game. To me, I come away from this game feeling like I did after the Steelers won the SB against Seattle. The team that won, didn't really beat the other team.

Full disclosure, I'm an AFC fan.

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Take too bad, stupid plays out of the game and I think the Steelers win, IMHO.

Full disclosure, I'm an AFC fan.

You could just as well say that taking good Packers plays (the defensive plays that forced the turnovers as well as their offensive plays) out would have changed the outcome. Why is any of that any different than saying "if they had run the ball better, if they had tackled better...in short, if they had been better, they would have won"? To paraphrase what was once said about the Cowboys before they won their first Super Bowl, "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, there'd be plenty of treats for Christmas".

The better team won.

6. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Saying "well IF that hadn't happened then we would of WON!" is ridiculous. It did happen. Why didn't the steelers get a pick six? Why didn't the steelers force a fumble? Why didn't the steelers make that field goal? Why didn't the steelers recover that botched punt that was fumbled. Saying they COULD have means nothing, they didn't do it. You can't pick and choose what would of happened based on one thing. Because then packers fan could say "well if Wallace hadn't scored that TD then steelers would have lost by more!' The superbowl isn't decided by who got more 3rd down completions. If that makes you feel better about the loss, then think whatever you want.

I'm a Cowboys fan, guess what I said about their season = They sucked. No excuses.

7. Sumnernor

Sumnernor Supporting Actor

Sumner Northcutt
    May I add my 2 cents. I haven't actually seem the game - I expect to Wednesday. I have seen some of the highlights. I don't like the question - did Pit loose the game or did GB win the game. Both teams are very good. I am neither a PIT fan or a GB fan. I don't care if PIT got more first downs and ran/passed more yards than GB. What counts is the number of points scored. In many games the defense helped to win the game - not the offense. Certainly defense won the game in the PIT at BAL game which I think was the best game seen this season. Their the defense won the game. In the SB PIT turned the ball over three times - no turnovers for GB. Usually a team with many turnovers will not win a game. The logic of previous posters as mentioned by the post 346 - too many IF this and that happened ---- Some people state in regards to the turnovers that PIT was sloopy but Sunday, it was the GB defense that played better. Most people that I have talked too said it was a very good game. It wasn't really decided until the last seconds. Bravo to BOTH teams.

The NFL should be ashamed that circa 400 people WITH tickets could not get in.

8. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    One thought that's been on my mind after seeing this year's Super Bowl (and actually, several Super Bowls over the past ten or so years) is that we don't necessarily see the best team in the NFL win it all. But this is the system as it stands, and it's all we have at the moment. I don't have a resolution to this, other than setting up a playoff series of sorts. However, there is an urgency to the 'one and done' that is at times very exciting. I realize that I can't have it both ways -- the 'one and done' is good, if a bit (to my mind) inconclusive, especially given that virtually any team can beat another once on a given day.

9. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Considering that the Pack won at the end of the season to secure a playoff berth, and then won on the road every week, and then defeated the Steelers in the Super Bowl; I have no problem considering them the best team in the NFL.

Congrats to the Packers and their fans.

- Walter.

10. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Great post. This business about “oh, team x had better 3rd down efficiency/more passing/running yards/net punt/return yards/more yards per rush/per pass/fewer yards allowed/higher quarterback rating/better record based on points scored for/against/strength of schedule/common opponents/division record/higher rating by “experts” , etc. etc. ad nauseum, therefore it should be considered better” is so much nonsense. The team that scores the most points ON THE FIELD is champion. PERIOD.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell

Yes, I agree. I guess I started to go the direction I did mostly because I thought GB should have won by much more. GB receivers had, at times, alligator arms and dropped some very catch-able passes that would have been big plays. Pitt was lucky the game was so close.

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

The solution to crowning the best team as champion is simple, elegant, and works for any sport.

You crown the best team of the regular season as champion and call it a day. No need for playoffs at all.

Not as much fun though, is it?

There's a reason for the phrase "on any given Sunday".

The purpose of the regular season is qualifying for a post-season tournament to determine the champion. Whether it's single-game elimination or a best of 7 series, the better team doesn't always win. In fact, the team that wins the championship is usually the one that gets hot at the right time.

You are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

14. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Scott,

What are the chances the Lions pick up some much-needed help with free agents this year? This morning, one sportscaster was commenting on how attractive it would be for linemen to come to Detroit to play with the likes of Suh, Bosch, and Williams (among others). Could it be that Detroit might now be an attractive team to play for? :)

15. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Unless there is a quick resolution to the labor contract, I do not think there will be much, if any, free agent movement in the entire league this offseason. Teams cannot trade players or sign free agents until there is a new collective bargaining agreement. The only thing that can happen without a new agreement is the Draft, and then teams will not be able to sign their picks without a new CBA.

Since the owners are bargaining from a position of strength due to the TV contract, I do not see them giving in on any issues before training camps are set to open. The players will not cave quickly, but will eventually. If I had to bet, I would expect, at minimum, a couple of preseason games will be canceled before this is settled. It may even drag into the regular season.

16. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    ^^^

I should have included the proviso "if the contract issues are settled." I was preceding from that premise when I posed the question. Sorry. :)

17. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Throwing the CBA issues out of the equation, I think the Lions strategy will be similar to last year -- build first through the draft, and supplement with a few key free agents or trades. The most likely targets for free agency would be at linebacker and cornerback, as Detroit has too many holes to fill there than can be accomplished via the draft alone. However, I expect two of their top three draft picks to be at these positions, too, with the third being on the offensive line.

It would also make sense to use free agency or a trade to acquire depth at wide receiver, as I do not see them wasting anything but a late round pick on this position, yet they only have two quality WR's on the roster. Same with running back, especially if Kevin Smith does not come back.

18. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Thanks, Scott.

I'd like to see them get one more good-to-excellent linebacker, a cornerback, and either another wide receiver or an offensive lineman. I think Calvin Johnson's comments a few months ago got some of the players' attention, and maybe even the upper-management. If Johnson were ever to leave, New England is a fine place for him to play. ;)

I think Suh has made other players around him better. For one thing, he can pretty much handle anyone one-on-one, which frees up some of his neighbors to concentrate on their men as opposed to having to worry about too many two-on-ones coming at them. I also think that he (IMO) has made Avril a better player.

I'd also like for Stafford to play an entire year -- this would be a welcome change.

19. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Yes, Suh has been even better than expected, if that is possible. If he can stay healthy, he should be one of the league's best DT's for quite a few years, as he will only get better with experience. The Lions definitely got that draft pick right.

Having Stafford healthy for an entire season is vital for the team to take the next step and actually be a serious playoff threat. Shaun Hill is a solid backup QB, but Stafford needs to show that he is the franchise QB the team drafted him to be. Hopefully the offseason surgery will be as successful for him as it was previously for Bradford.

The Lions are in a tough division, which will make things more difficult. Green Bay is a young team, so they should be a contender for a few years. I'm still not sold on Chicago, but they do find ways to win. Minnesota still has quite a bit of talent, but desperately needs a QB, as their window is quickly closing. This is not a good offseason to be shopping for a quality starting QB, though, so the Vikings will have a tough time keeping out of last place next season.

The team still has quite a few holes to fill, but considering where they were when Millen left, they have come a long way in two years. They were worse than an expansion team at the end of Millen's reign of incompetence.