What's new

NFL 2010 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
This is a link for fans of Mat Millon to read:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/05/matt-millen-i-stunk-at-being-gm-john-elway-can-succeed/

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Sumnernor

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/05/matt-millen-i-stunk-at-being-gm-john-elway-can-succeed/

That man is such an idiot. "I stunk at it" doesn't even begin to describe how bad he was. Also, Millen's failure wasn't with understanding the culture or managing people. It was with (1) not being able to evaluate talent, (2) ignoring his staff and drafting whomever he felt like, and (3) having no understanding of which components of the game to focus on in acquiring talent. He treated the NFL draft like his own personal fantasy football draft instead of building a foundation.

My advice to Elway -- ignore any advice offered by this imbecile.

Every time I see this moron on TV as a color commentator a slew of profanities can be heard in our household. I wish he would just go away.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Scott I agree with you 100%! If there is one person related to football I can't stand Millen is it. I just can't stand him or anything he says.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, 5 years, $25 million, and no need for relocation of home, sounds like a great deal for Harbaugh. And if the 49ers suck again next season, they might be able to get Luck-y in the 2012 draft.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by dmiller68

I think it is going to be a good weekend of football.

Speaking as a Washington native and fair-weather Seahawks fan, it all depends which Seahawks team shows up to play...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

I still think Harbaugh made a mistake taking the Niners job. I have no issue with him wanting to go to the NFL, but the ownership in San Fran is not competent. The Denver job would have given him a better chance for success, IMO. College coaches are not successful when making the leap to the NFL very often, so he needed all the help he could get.

I also still think that Harbaugh will eventually coach at Michigan -- just not now. Les Miles is 57 years old. If he takes the Michigan job, Miles will be ready to retire in 5-7 years, opening up the position for Harbaugh, who is still a very active fundraiser for the school.

In related news, how would you like to be the Dolphins coach? Miami's owner publicly courted both Jon Gruden and Harbaugh for a coaching position that was not even vacant. How can Sparano retain any credibility in the locker room with his players, even with the news that his contract was extended through 2013? What a mess!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I really can not agree with you that he made a mistake. Out of the two teams San Francisco is much closer to a playoff team (thanks to the sorry state of the West) then Denver which looks to be an also ran for several years to come.

As for ownership, Denver hasn't done too well since Elway retired. Sure they have made the playoffs a few times but they have never really been a serious contender.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Denver's ownership has enjoyed some success in the past, while SF has been a disaster ever since the Yorks took over for DeBartolo. With the Rams improving in the division, I'm not sure the Niners job offers a much easier path to the playoffs. And if the goal is to be a true championship contender, and not just a team that makes the playoffs because it's in a lousy division, then I think Denver offers better long term prospects for success.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this, Patrick.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've been hearing that Patrick Bowlen (the owner of the Broncos) has health issues, which raises the question of how much longer he wants to be the owner. Ultimately, Elway wants to be the owner, and hold the Lombardi trophy in that role.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Elway's only going to make things worse for the Broncos. He already got his chance to play football front office god in the arena football league with a Bowlen-owned team and more or less destroyed the league (with a little help from John Bon Jovi) with his misguided vision.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Seahawks leading at the half...WTF?

It is called a healthy Seahawks team! I tried to explain that last week was the first time this year we had a healthy OL and DL. I think I'm more stressed now then before the game.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
My Seahawks WIN!!!!! What a game close as I predicted but we held on and didn't even rain. Now I'm going to be routing for GB. I want to go play Chicago we beat them already this season.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by dmiller68

My Seahawks WIN!!!!! What a game close as I predicted but we held on and didn't even rain. Now I'm going to be routing for GB. I want to go play Chicago we beat them already this season.

The right team (and as you mentioned healthy) showed up. I was a bit nervous when they started making mistakes in the second half, but wow. That TD run by Lynch was fantastic, especially when he pushed over the defender going down field. He was not going to be stopped. I expect to see that on highlight reels tonight!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Congrats to the Seahawks. Didn't see that one coming. Though if the Saints entire defense cannot stop a 67 yard run, missing 8 tackles in the process, then they really deserve to be going home.

So, what made the Colts, who saved their season and made the playoffs by passing the football, decide to change their whole offensive scheme and become a running team for the playoffs? All season long Manning has moved the Colts up and down the field on his passing arm (avg 42 attempts per game). Now, they decide to essentially neuter him for the playoffs by turning him into just some Joe Schmo handing the ball to the running backs? As Rex Ryan said before the game, if all he's going to do is hand the ball to the running backs, Peyton Manning is no longer "Peyton Manning."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I only saw the first half of the Seattle - Saints game, and the 4th quarter of the Colts - Jets game (was at a hockey game). WTF happened? From watching the first half of the Seahawks game, it looked like NO's defense gave up big play after big play. Is that what happened in the 2nd half, too?

I am 0-2 in my predictions so far this weekend. Green Bay and Baltimore are doomed today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks