What's new

NFL 2010 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well my Seahawks are going to the playoffs. Bring on NO! Not that I believe I think we have a chance but I felt the same tonight.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Seattle is officially the worst team to ever win a division in the NFL -- the only one with a losing record. The Saints will probably be the biggest road playoff favorite in memory.

I have to give the Bears some praise for playing their starters the entire game against the Packers, despite the game being meaningless to Chicago. I'm not sure the move was in the best interest of the team, as they could have lost an important player to injury (remember Wes Welker in Week 17 for the Pats last year?). But they made Green Bay earn their playoff spot.

The playoffs are going to be difficult to predict this year, IMO. I think every team except Seattle, K.C. and the Jets have a chance to get to the Super Bowl. Here are my first round predictions:

New Orleans over Seattle

Green Bay over Philly

Indy over New York

Baltimore over K.C.

The Packers - Eagles game should be a good one.

There are rumors that Marty Mornhingweg is the leading candidate for the Browns job. He comes from the Holmgren coaching tree, so it makes some sense. He would be the first ex-Lions head coach from the Ford ownership era of the past half-century (not counting interims) to get another NFL head coaching gig. Since Cleveland has an outdoor stadium near the lake, Marty could "take the wind" every week!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

Seattle is officially the worst team to ever win a division in the NFL -- the only one with a losing record.

They should introduce a new rule that if a team with a better record that otherwise wouldn't make the playoffs goes undefeated in play against another division in a year they play the entire division, they should get the playoff spot.

My Bucs won the NFC West going 4-0, finished 3 games better than Seattle, and don't get a spot.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by nolesrule

My Bucs won the NFC West going 4-0, finished 3 games better than Seattle, and don't get a spot.

I was just about to say, it does suck for teams that actually posted winning records not to make the playoffs.

I never thought it was possible in the NFL, that a team with a losing team making the playoffs. Heck, it was hard enough for an 8-8 team to make it.

Watching part of that Rams-Seahawks game, it was like both teams realize how pathetic the division is, and did not really want it. It was like...

"You can have the division"

"No, you can have it"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by nolesrule I do feel for the Bucs and Giants, though, as both those teams are way more deserving that the Seahens. I only watched the first half of last night's game, and it was painful.

It was just one of those "perfect storm" years in the NFC West, and with only four teams in each division, something like this happening is not shocking. The Bidwill-run Cardinals have returned to their inept ways, as have the York-run 49ers. Seattle is somewhere between a decline and a rebuild, and the Rams are just a year removed from a 1-15 record.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well I thought there would be a little more rationalization on this forum but I guess not. Just a bunch of haters. I think it would be stupid to change the rule based on something that happened once in a 100 years. Although what the heck I think you should just kick all the west coast teams out of the league and you east coasters can have your own little party until the NFL folds. I remember all the complaining when the Seahawks (not seahens, seachickens, seagulls and whatever else you can think of) went 13-3 and went to the Superbowl. It is so unfair that the poor east coast teams have to travel all the way up to the NW. Well we have to travel to the East coast all the time in fact almost every year the Seahawks have to travel more miles then any other team (and had a winning record 2003-2007). I don't believe in re-seating or min wins as you would have 10-6 division winners traveling all the time. We may not even have positive record teams or at least a lot more .500 teams once we go to 18 games due to injuries. Do I think it is great that we are going to the playoffs yes I do but I'm a fan of the Seahawks and football, I love underdogs. Do I feel sorry for the Giants or Bucs nope they should have won more games to win there division. The Seahawks have played well this year, we did beat Chicago for example. We also let a lot of games get away from us or where blown out. We are getting healthy for the first time this year and I think the NO game will be closer then people think. However, I do not expect them to win in the end. I think this will be the last year for the Seahawks for a few so I'm going to enjoy it even with the haters.

My predictions for the first round:

Saints
Packers
Ravens
Jets

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I have to laugh at all the people and television commentators calling for rule changes.

The bottom line is the Bucs and the Giants did not do what they needed to in order to make the playoffs.

I'm a Raiders and I'm not going to whine about the Raiders not making it after sweeping the West. The bottom line is they lost games they should have won and did not deserve to go to the playoffs.

Oh and I don't care how many wins a Wild card team gets they never deserve to host a playoff game against a division winner.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wouldn't take it too personally, David. After all, you shouldn't expect your team to get any respect when they are the first team to make the playoffs with a losing record. Just enjoy the extra game.

My rooting interest will be with my "other favorite" team -- the Steelers. I think they have too many flaws to go all the way, but it's who I will be pulling for as long as they are still in the playoffs.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by dmiller68

Well I thought there would be a little more rationalization on this forum but I guess not. Just a bunch of haters.

From your post count, I see you haven't been on this forum for long. I have found this football thread, year after year, to be an even tempered and friendly discussion of the NFL. If someone suggests a rule to change requiring the teams with the best records to qualify for the playoffs, it's not because they hate any particular team. Myself, I would favor that rule change because I think it would be more fair. In recent times my team, the chargers, won the division with an 8 and 8 record and that kind of rule probably would have cost them that year. Of course I do not favor a rule change like that in mid-season but something I'd like to see considered in the off season.

Of course the Seahawks should be in the playoffs per the current rules and no one is saying different. While I do not think the Hawks will beat NO, I've seen stranger things happen in this league.

Just friendly fans here.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well I don't have a huge number of post as I have been more tied up with my video game forum. I have been a member a read regularly since 2009. I have recently got back into home theater pretty heavy again. In fact I'm about to do a major upgrade instead of small upgrades since I have the cash from a website sale I was part of. Stuff for a different thread. On the foot ball side I know lots of people are excited to do one of 2 changes. Change one is that if a division can't have a positive record then they don't get to go and a wildcard goes instead. I think this is the stupidest thing I have heard. How is this making it a better sport? The second option is on the road based on record... Division winners carries no weight. So in this case the Seahawks would go on the road. So would the Colts and the Chiefs. I'm pretty sure that there would be uproar if the Colts win the division and can't play at home. So I'm for no change... As far as the Seahawks go I don't believe anyone believes they are going to win but 12th man, 40 degrees and rain I think is going to make this game closer then people think. :) Seahawks have had a bad year, I agree but they did what they needed to win the division. I would have rather had the 8th pick myself to maybe get that QB of the future we need. Sorry about my first reaction as I read way too much Profootballtalk and I love my Seahawks just like most football fans.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One fact that points to the Seahawks not making it a close game -- all nine of their losses were by 15 or more points. That is actually pretty amazing... almost "Lions like" from their 0-16 season, when almost all of those 16 losses were lopsided. That is very hard to do in the NFL. Even bad teams lose most games by a close margin. So, if recent history is to be believed, if Seattle loses to the Saints this weekend, it will be a blowout.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

One fact that points to the Seahawks not making it a close game -- all nine of their losses were by 15 or more points. That is actually pretty amazing... almost "Lions like" from their 0-16 season, when almost all of those 16 losses were lopsided. That is very hard to do in the NFL. Even bad teams lose most games by a close margin. So, if recent history is to be believed, if Seattle loses to the Saints this weekend, it will be a blowout.

However, we where in all but two of those games until the wheels and everything else fell off in the 4th qtr. We have had so many injuries to our defensive line that we just wear out. The Rams game was the healthest we have been all year. I'm not saying we are good we are far from that. I'm still waiting to see who the QB will be Sat.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is everyone picking the road teams to win all 4 playoff games this weekend? It could happen:

Saints at Seahawks

Packers at Eagles

Ravens at Chiefs

Jets at Colts

The Packers/Eagles game might be the iffy game for a road upset by the Packers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Is everyone picking the road teams to win all 4 playoff games this weekend? It could happen:

Saints at Seahawks

Packers at Eagles

Ravens at Chiefs

Jets at Colts

The Packers/Eagles game might be the iffy game for a road upset by the Packers.

The Colts are the only home team I'm going with. Manning has traditionally done very well against Rex Ryan defenses.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Here are my picks for Wild Card weekend. The first two are with my mind, and the second two are with my heart. ;)

New Orleans over Seattle (I can't see New Orleans losing this game).

Green Bay over Philadelphia (I can't see Green Bay losing this game).

New York over Indianapolis (this game should be a lot closer than last year's match-up).

Kansas City over Baltimore (doubtful, but I'm hopeful). I'd really like to see BC's Matt Cassel against his former Patriots teammate, Tom Brady.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

Johnny,

Years down the road, when the dust has settled and sports historians are gleaning through the plethora of books written on the phenomenon that is the San Diego Chargers, people will not remember who won or lost the very overrated Super Bowls. What they will remember is who was the number one offense and defense, and it is these two extremely important statistics that will forever signify and commemorate just how great a dynasty the San Diego Charger machine was, is, and ever shall be.

Mark my words. ;)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
So it looks like Matt is our QB this week and NO put two of the 3 running backs on IR. Matt did go 32-44 with 366 yards and a touchdown when we played NO earlier this year. If and a big if we don't turn the ball over and we score early to keep the crowd in it and think we have a chance. Maybe.... :) I think it is going to be a good weekend of football.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks