What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I just saw either an unbelievably poor ruling, or an incomprehensible rule.

Green Bay kicked off to Indy from their own 30 (as usual) and it was a short pooch kick, apparently designed to catch Indy off guard. (Either that or it was a total mishit.) The ball went 15 yards and rolled out of bounds at the GB 45 prior to anyone touching it. I assumed Indy would get the ball right there.

Instead, the official said GB gets to re-kick, with a 5 yard penalty. What sense does that make? How is that fair?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The ruling was the kick went less than 10 yards, and with more than 5 minutes left in the game the rule is a 5 yard penalty and re-kick. Seeing how the game went, though, it didn't make much difference.

Speaking of strange rulings, there was one in the Lions - Texans game. Detroit's jughead coach challenged a spot of the ball when Houston went for a fourth down near the goal line and got the first down. The reply review determined that the spot of the ball was incorrect, so the officials re-spotted the ball and re-measured for the first down. Houston still got the first down. Detroit was still charged with a time out even though the replay revealed a mistake -- all because Houston still got the first down. :confused:

If you saw the game, you'd know why I referred to Lions coach Marinelli as "jughead". The Texans were single covering Calvin Johnson the entire game, yet the Lions had only thrown to him twice until late in the game. What a brilliant way to use the team's only legitimate offensive weapon.

I have seen a lot of bad Lions teams in the 38 years I've been watching them. However, I think this may be the worst team yet. There is almost no talent, the coaching is terrible, and there is no hope for things to improve. Matt Millen's final legacy may be the NFL's first 0-16 team.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, who is the next coach to get the axe? Here's my list, in order:

1. Lewis (Cincy)
2. Marinelli (Detroit) -- only thing that may keep him employed is there is nobody on the staff qualified to be interim HD.
3. Childress (Minn) -- the Vikings being in the playoff hunt may save him for awhile
4. Crennel (Cleveland) -- the Browns have been a big disappointment.
5. Phillips (Dallas) -- if the 'Boys continue to struggle, Jones may switch to Garrett.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Why does more than 5 minutes left make a difference? I was fully expecting that onsides kick to be treated they way every other onsides kick I've seen. You are in effect, rewarding a failed kick by giving them the do-over.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I Calvin Johnson had his man beat all day long and they just ignored him. He is one player that can honestly make plays for them like no other. I can only imagine what he could do in even an average offensive system.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Way to go Lions. For the 5th time this season, the Lions gave up at least 17 points in the 1st half.

Atlanta: 21-0 at the end of the 1st. 21-14 at halftime.
Green Bay: 21-3 at halftime.
San Francisco: 21-3 at halftime.
Chicago: 17-0 at halftime.
Minnesota: 2-3 at halftime.
Houston: 21-3 at halftime for the third time in 6 games.

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Sunday Scoops: Is Favre guilty of insider trading?

If the story is true, it figures that even with a Hall of Famer's help, the Lions still couldn't win a game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

They have also been outscored 54-0 in the first quarter, and have fallen behind 21-0 in three of their six games. In a league where parity reigns, this team is not even competitive. The defense is an embarrassment, yet Marinelli won't fire the defensive coordinator because he's Marinelli's son-in-law.

Marinelli is obviously in way over his head and should not be a head coach in this league. Between that and the horrible player personnel decisions over the past seven seasons, this franchise is an absolute disaster.

It could be worse, though. I was watching the Steelers - Bengals game, and CBS put up an amazing statistic. Cincinnati has started the season 0-6 eight times in their history. The next highest total was only half that at four times by several teams (and, yes, Detroit was one of those teams :laugh: ).

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
This originally appeared on DVDTalk dissing the Bengals. I changed it.

The Michigan State Police are cracking down on speeders heading into Detroit. For the first offense, they give you two Lions tickets. If you get stopped a second time, they make you use them.

Q. What do you call 47 millionaires around a TV watching the Super Bowl?
A. The Lions

Q. What do the Lions and Billy Graham have in common?
A. They both can make 70,000 people stand up and yell 'Jesus Christ'.

Q. How do you keep a Lions player out of your yard?
A. Put up a goal post.

Q. Where do you go in Detroit in case of a tornado?
A. To Ford Field-they never get a touchdown there!

Q. What do you call a Lions player with a Super Bowl ring?
A. A thief.

Q. What's the difference between the Lions and a dollar bill?
A. You can still get four quarters out of a dollar bill.

Q. What do the Lions and a possums have in common?
A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Peter King of SI picked the Lions to beat the Redskins this week. Excuse me while I go laugh my ass off.....
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Now the real test is, did Peter King actually put any MONEY on the Lions?

I feel bad for Lions fans. What the hell is the problem out there?

Jim_F

Screenwriter

The most telling deficiency is 8 years of high day 1 draft picks who are/were reaches and underachievers.

It starts at the top with WCF Sr. Contrary to many opinions, I'm convinced he's neither a miser nor an uncaring owner. He's apparently the biggest football fan in town, but has no clue WRT assembling a successful organization. He's tenaciously loyal to incompetent employees (see also: Russ Thomas, Matt Millen)

This millenium (pun intended) has been so dismal that I've come to miss the days of mediocrity punctuated with an occasional sniff of the playoffs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Keep in mind that Ford, Sr. has absolutely no experience in the business world. He was born into money, and the family bought him the Lions to keep him occupied and away from the auto business. He may care about winning, but he is clueless, as Jim said. The guy is not qualified to run a lemonade stand, let alone a billion dollar entertainment company. The only thing that has saved the Lions financially is that it is impossible to lose money the way the NFL is structured with its revenue sharing model and high-income television contract.

The good news is that this Sunday's Lions - Redskins game is not sold out, so it will be blacked out here. This is the first time since the Lions moved into Ford Field in 2002 that a game has been blacked out. At least the fans are starting to do the right thing and stay away.

And Peter King is an idiot. Clinton Portis may have 150 yards rushing by half time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will say this, with all the Lions discussion going on, the Broncos/Patriots game is probably the single most impressive display of mediocrity I have ever seen in Denver Bronco history. Add that they lost Champ Bailey for 6 games, Boss Bailey for the season, and even the backup QB for the season and the writing is on the wall. 4-1 start, I doubt they win 4 games the rest of the season. The Chargers may be underachieving, but they'll win the division.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Boss Bailey injured? Now, there's a shock. That guy could hurt himself clipping his toenails. I think he spent more time on the injured list here in Detroit than playing.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

True dat, but right now, Chargers won't get past round one until they improve their defense and get L.T. on track. And come up with some decent play calling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks