What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The last time Davis won a Super Bowl:

Reagan was President
Iran and Iraq were at war.
Macintosh computers were not yet for sale.
Dell Computers did not exist.
Microsoft Word had just been released.

In other words, what has he done for us lately?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
According to the article I read, Davis is firing the coach "for cause." Meaning he's going to try stiff him on the remainder of his contract. I cannot remember when that last happened in the NFL. It seems in keeping with Davis's petty, vindictive nature.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Didn't Davis try the same thing with Shanahan?

A person would have to be pretty desperate to take the Raiders head coaching job while Davis is still in charge.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I am not defending Big "Al" in any way shape or form, but the Raiders had a pretty decent team in 2002 and looked good going into that 2003 Superbowl vs Tampa Bay. so there has been a good amount of success in that year and the few preceding years leading up to that Superstinker.
Detroit on the other hand has what..won 1 playoff game in the last umpteen years so going by that alone, Ford is a bit worse.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Davis clearly has been the superior owner when you consider the entire span of their ownership. However, watching Al now has to make Raider fans shudder. The guy has clearly lost it. Meanwhile, Ford never had "it" to lose.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, I did say I didn't remember.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

A head coaching job in the NFL is hard to come by. Anyone taking the job with the Raiders would have to consider it a step in their career path, a foot-in-the-door type move. Both Shanahan and Gruden have gone on to better jobs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I shot todays NY Giants Game with my Nikon D300 and 18-200VR from the mezzanine not expecting much, and am relatively happy with the results, plus the giants kicked the snot out of Seattle so that was good!

If anyone cares, full set is here:
08-NY Giants vs. Seattle Seahawks - a set on Flickr

Took over 500 photos, edited 146 and will probably print a couple dozen.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
The Lions, Rams, Bengals and Texans are the only winless teams in the NFL.

The Lions have scored the 2nd fewest points (66)among the winless teams, 4th fewest overall, and have given up the most (147) along with St. Louis.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, I can only see 1 win, against Houston in 2 weeks. Maybe it'll be a battle of the winless teams!

Scary thing is, they may end up with the #2 pick, since St. Louis is so awful and hasn't been competitive in any of their losses, they just might not win a single game this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Lions looked like a team that has given up. That may be a new record, only four games into the season. This team is a disaster. To borrow a line from Jack Nicholson in "Batman"... this franchise needs an enema.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I dunno, the 0-4 Texans look to be a quantum leap better than our 0-4 Lions at this point. This thought brings it home for me: The Lions, along with the Rams, are in the 2nd tier of 0-4 teams.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It just continues to get annoying, with the Eagles getting off to a good start, then falling flat the rest of the way, as shown in yesterday's game against the Redskins, and earlier against the Cowboys. Andy Reid continues to make the same mistakes year after year, like time management. And he has the obsession to pass, when it has been shown in some games that running the ball would be more effective.

With the NFC East (and NFC in general) being weak for many seasons, the Eagles would waste opportunities, losing 3 straight Championship Game, and when they finally won one, they would lose in the Super Bowl in the most maddening way. It is a fun ride, but after not winning the whole thing for a few seasons, it’s not fun at all. I doubt any Patriots fan is saying that 18-1 was a fun ride last season (despite one poster here, saying they would be happy about that). Like playing a video game and making it to the end, but you can’t quite beat the game, and lose all your lives.

I kept hoping, coming into each season, this would be the year, until the Giants won it last year. That is the straw that broke the camel’s back for me, as a team in the division has surpassed them big time. And with the rest of the division surpassing them, it’s clear the Eagles won’t win anything this year or anytime soon. They are content on “being competitive” every year, but that doesn’t fly with the fans anymore. Reid is another Marty Schottenheimer and Dennis Green, not being able to win the big one.

I am one frustrated Eagles fan that has had enough. Compounding that, is the fact that I have not seen a championship in Philly, in the years I’ve been a sports fan.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
If you look on the bright side, you at least know that any team that plays the Lions is going to score like crazy, which helps for fantasy football. Each week I look for players that are playing the Lions or the Chiefs, and so far that's worked well;)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
From the Wikipedia entry on Rod Marinelli:

Rod Marinelli became the first NFL head coach to lead a team to a winless 0-16 season in the 2008 season.

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Adam Jones got into a fight with his bodyguard early in the morning in a hotel. Apparently he is back to being the Pacman Jones that we all know. The bodyguard is hired by the team to protect Jones from himself, more or less. Jerry Jones hired him to watch Jones so that no one could falsely accuse him of anything he may not of done, and also attempt to keep him out of trouble. I guess he never planned on Jones attacking his own bodyguard....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks