Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Next HB guesses.Where's Huddles?Clue ClubBanana SplitsChatanooga CatsDevlinNew Adventures of Huckster FinnShirt TalesbiscuitsHarlem Globetrotters 70's versionJennieTarzan FilmationNew Adventures of GilliganGilligan's PlanetWhat do you think will be next?James

2. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Second Unit

Matthew Price
    For those us with doubts, the second train has picked up like we thought. So we get releases in two back to back weeks. Really nice surprise here today. Also nice to see that the Thanksgiving special was indeed released like i theorized a little while ago.

Next guesses i'm still picking Clue Club and Cave Kids as the front runners. If we are assuming last year's model is the new standard model as so far this year does follow through so far, so we should be expecting several more releases this year, and we still haven't seen anything that would fit the small village/friends theme. So there's room to speculate one of them might show up. Not sure if it'll be Gobots that short of a turn around, but possible. Shirt Tales doing well in the first poll would seem to me to make it a good candidate too. But i don't know if they are counting Atom Ant and secret Squirrel is as big of projects as Huck or Wally, but given the tv prints on CN at least had openings and credits, i wonder if they are good chances to show up late in the year. Since they were said to be worked on not long after Yogi's Gang and that's been awhile. Huck and the Wally group show (which won the second poll) are probably the remaining candidates to be the Big summer release at some point if they chose to keep doing that.

Also let's take us back to that one facebook comment we over looked. The guy asked about Space Stars, Galtar, 80s Jonny Quest and Yogi's Treasure Hunt. He was told most of them were in the works. That to me means probably 3 or maybe 2. Space Stars was obviously in the works then, and we've been told in the past they plan to do the Yogi spinoffs in order, so with Yogi's Gang released, Yogi's Space Race should come before Treasure Hunt. So that gives us speculation on Galtar and 80s Jonny Quest. But they never confirmed if either had been started.

Good news however is that the releases are back and coming. So let's see which ones get off the train this time.

3. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I have been surprised about the delays on Clue Club. I would think it would be a lot easier to put out than the shows with multiple segments that were later cut up like Banana Splits, Huck, Wally, and Atom. I'm also always up for more Yogi. Very glad to have a Thanksgiving Special out. I actually asked them to release some of them almost a year ago on Facebook but didn't receive an answer.

4. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    Alright some new leads from the latest round of facebook replies.

They passed on answering the Flintstone Comedy Hour question again, so chances are they still haven't decided on that (and when they have 4 Flintstones shows without such problems clear to go, why not put it off) so chances are the Flintstones release this year isn't going to be that one.

Also it appears there's going to be another release of the Ruby Spears sub-library. So there's a bunch more candidates to think about but i don't think they've hinted at anything specific, so anyone have any idea what might be a front runner?

5. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    Hopefully [font="inherit;font-style:inherit;font-weight:700;margin:0px;color:rgb(254"]Goldie Gold and Action Jack[/font]!!!!!!

6. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Good choice I hope that one comes out as well. I also hope the "Baby Plas and the Plastic Family" will come out as well, but we'll probably get Fangface

James

derosa likes this.
  7. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    I'd really like the Baby Pas episodes, it still sort of bugs me that they chopped up
    the original Plastic Man comedy adventure hour into the syndicated version.

An episode of Goldie Gold was on the WB saturday morning 80s set, that's why
    i'm hoping it eventually comes out as a season set.

Hopefully, the other "one and done" show coming in addition to Goldie Gold is
    Clue Club. I really want that one, and it's been a while since it was mentioned.

8. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    Well it's been explained already that the two remaining Plastic Man segments are going to be released via WHV and not WA due to the DC split.

But given what they own of the library is now in the HB library chances are solid they will eventually get to them all. But at this point i'm just not seeing anything that really puts one as more than likely over the others. They've got 3/4 started shows from Ruby Spears (if you count the Heathcliff as one show or two) and if going by their metric before it got reset on sales it was Heathcliff/Centurions/Mr T/Police.

But on top of that there's also Dink, Fangface, Mighty Man, Rickety Rocket, Turbo Teen, Goldie Gold, and the Puppy (minus the season connected to Scooby Doo for the time being) that all fit that description. Saturday Supercade as well, but we know why that's one on the hold ups.

And also for the record has WA ever commented on Rubik? While strange and crazy of an idea has it been established who owns that one? Off the top of my head i think it's one of the few Ruby Spears shows that it's not easily known who owns it.

9. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    This news went a little bit under the radar, but WA extended their comic con plans to doing panels at the NYCC one too. And today they are doing another HB related panel. This one to showcase Alex Toth's work at Hanna Barbera. Doesn't seem to be any indication they are announcing anything at it, but you never know. It's also nice to see more respect for HB with these.

They have two other panels tomorrow, one seems to be showing the Legend of SUper Heroes pilot:
    http://warnerarchive.tumblr.com/post/63023132943/nycc2013

Edit: Asked on twitter, it was just a showcase but it appears they had a good turnout for it.

10. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    Another week another release. 3 weeks back to back? Yep

Today's release is another holiday double dose with Hanna Barbera's The Little Troll Prince and Ruby Spear's Cabbage Patch Kids Christmas.

11. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Is anyone familiar with The Little Troll Prince?

12. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Regarding the Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel shows...

I just discovered this the other day, and somehow it had escaped me until now, but I guess I had never really sat down and watched the Atom Ant shows included in the Saturday Morning Cartoons: The 1960s sets. I was looking at one of them the other day and noticed for the first time that it actually includes a couple of interstitial segments (one with Atom Ant and one with Precious Pupp). They are just short gags with the characters that appear in between the cartoons. As far as I know, never shown in reruns after the original network run. I know one with the Hillbilly Bears was slipped in between two of their cartoons on the 1980s Worldvision VHS release. (The first Atom Ant VHS volume also included a silent title card reading "Atom Ant" which would have led into a sponsor billboard, just after the show opening.)

So my question for anyone who watched this in its original network run is: Did they do a series of these, or were they just the same ones every week? My guess would be that there wouldn't have been new ones in every show, but maybe a small rotation of them which would repeat over the course of the season (although I'm just speculating here).

The show that includes them is the one with "Atom Ant Meets Karate Ant." I believe it's on the second volume.

IIRC, when asked on Facebook, Warner Archive said finding these segments was the holdup in releasing these shows.

13. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

This is HB I know, but have we heard anything about further Marine Boy releases?

Heck, I hope they didn;t do just the "first season" (there's really no such thing anyway but...) and then drop them.

14. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    This weekend's sale dujour is a toon sale. And looks like it's up through Marine Boy (i believe that's the latest release on that list from a quick glance)

15. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    Not having a local Target that carried the exclusive Worlds Greatest Superfriendsset, I'm happy to see Walmart has a preorder up at a low price. Glad I didn't rush to buy one from those eBay or amazon resellers who are asking a crazy price.

16. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    Picking this up from the Warner Archive thread in DVD, so it's not as off-topic.
    In which instance has Shout has been lazy about clearing music rights? The only time they've said that they can't put out a show due to music is when a show's sold so low that they'd never recuperate the cost of clearance, and these are mostly live-action shows that use LOTS of music (Blossom and Parker Lewis).

These low-budget TV cartoons don't use a lot of copyright music, as a rule.

17. MattPriceTime

Matthew Price
    Ironically that conversation is actually more on-topic here now because said cartoon is Ruby Spears. And that would be "it's Punky Brewster"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Punky_Brewster
    The show has been put out in two sets of releases (one in bigger boxes with stickers) and on smaller regular DVD cases. Both releases do not include the episode. While this is not uncommon for even WB or Sony to have put a few bonus cartoons on the live action sets, Shout Factory clearly had rights to both the live action and the cartoon. But instead of waiting to pay off the last cartoon and give that show a release, they just threw them on the live action sets with one missing and called it a day.

I guess i should be happy that one of the non-owned by WB ones got a release of any kind. Is that music cue that expensive that two runs of a four season show on DVD couldn't make enough money to pay for it? Given what some of these lesser shows do for WA, if they couldn't afford that it must cost a fortune.

18. JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL Stunt Coordinator

Well at least Shout waits and admits when they can't use something, instead of releasing hacked up versions. (Rhoda notwithstanding)

19. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    I still say that's a slightly different circumstance because the Punky Brewster cartoon episodes are explicitly bonus features, which are as a rule never given the TLC of the main program. It'd be something else if they released the cartoons on their own and THEN omitted the episode.

20. JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL Stunt Coordinator

Yeah...like with The Tick sets...