What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I don't think it was.

But i get the feeling they were probably planning the SDCC to start another boom release plan like how last year we also had two, one in the first half of the year and one on the second.

If Space Stars took longer than expected they probably threw more resources on Space Stars and just let Captain Caveman go out solo.

I'd imagine we'll see them throw out a couple more during the fall, We've still got the flintstones released tease in the earlier article that everything else within it came to pass, Post that Clue Club has to be the next best favorite. I imagine they'd tease the release of any funny animlas before they happen, so while i'd love for one of them to show up this fall i'd imagine they'll probably either get a teaser picture on fb or get announced earlier on tvshowsondvd.com.

Also what's left in terms of specials? They like throwing some of them out towards the end of the year. Maybe this is the year for the Thanksgiving special.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
The one special that I would like to own is YABBA DABBA DOO: THE HAPPY WORLD OF HANNA-BARBERA. It was broadcast on Thanksgiving in 1977 and it was a two hour special on the world of Hanna-Barbera. Some of the material was edited into a similar retrospective on Turner in 1990 on the 50th anniversary of Bill and Joe working together. I asked about this special on Facebook a couple of years ago and they let me know that it has been cleared for release. There was a follow-up special called YABBA DABBA DOO which showed how the shows were put together.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MattPriceTime said:
Also what's left in terms of specials? They like throwing some of them out towards the end of the year. Maybe this is the year for the Thanksgiving special.
I'm not sure what Thanksgiving specials they have to release. I once asked them about Bugs Bunny's Thanksgiving Diet and Mouse on the Mayflower on Facebook. I didn't get a reply. Thanksgiving Diet is about the only Bugs Bunny special I can think of that has not been released either as a stand alone or as an extra on one of the Golden Collections. From my subsequent research, I think Mouse on the Mayflower may be owned by Classic Media, as part of its half of the Rankin Bass libarary.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Someone on FB just asked about Space Stars again. Here is their reply:
Remastering & restoration of SPACE STARS has required an enormous amount of painstaking work, especially tracking down missing (and deteriorating) film elements. The process is now complete, and an announcement is forthcoming. We hope fans will be pleased with the result of our efforts.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
Someone on FB just asked about Space Stars again. Here is their reply:
Given that Space Stars is one of their most recent titles, I wonder why it was particularly difficult.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Compared to the 60's and 70's HB yes but its from 1982 which is still 31 years old so not that recent. The show was broken up into individual cartoons for Cartoon Network/Boomerang like nealy all of the HB 60 -90 minute shows. They have made the effort to reassemble the complete show like fans want. The connecting segments would not have been seen since originally aired so many are naturally in rough shape. Hopefully they were able to find all of them. This effort is promising for other HB shows with this format like: Yogi's Space Race, Chatanooga Cats, The Skate Birds and The Banana Splits and if they ever get Tom and Jerry/Grape Apre show from WHV.

JoeDoakes said:
Given that Space Stars is one of their most recent titles, I wonder why it was particularly difficult.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
In regards to thanksgiving special i mentioned the name that escaped me at the time was "The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't". Not really my favorite special (although to be honest my memory of it is kinda hazy given i usually wasn't watching Cartoon Network on the day it usually was aired as i was at a family get together) i do recall it being asked about some times, but again that was just a spitfire idea. Since specials do see to come from them around the end of the year.

In regards to the Flintstones release, while it's not my favorite, i still think Cave Kids is the front runner given it's probably a short fix up and they have released shows that scored below it on the first poll. Personally the Flintstones spinoff i most look forward to seeing on dvd is the New Fred and Barney Show. Which i remember several episodes airing early in the morning in my youth, getting to see the whole run of episodes does excite me.

However though as mentioned they did say the work on Space Stars is done, and it is about to be released soon. I feel confident they'll have some others before the end of the year but the gap i don't think is that bad. WHV finishing up Super Friends and starting Tom and Jerry Kids this year was also a nice cushion to the releases (and we'll wait and see what happens to those Scooby sets after Goal is released). But again we were sad last year when post Flintstones release they said they were done for the year, yet they still gave us one of HB's live action shows and one of the Ruby Spears orphans. There's still a lot in the well to go through, i'm sure we all wish they would all magically show up next tuesday but as i mentioned on fb in a response, if they want to spend some time to finish up some of these bigger projects, then i accept slower releases. While yes we know some of the lesser shows that haven't been chopped up may have quick turn-arounds and maybe we'd have 2-3 in the same time it took to get one bigger one, but i'd rather they give us things like Captain Caveman and Space Stars sooner than just putting off anything that's not super easy to take care of.

I guess the big elephant here is still the funny animals but if this schedule works well for them maybe they'll repeat it. I honestly wouldn't mind a batch of release in the beginning of the year, a bigger release/s for the middle and another batch at the end. Although if you consider Chan Clan a big one (it did win the poll anyway) isn't that what they in fact did last year too? I bet the Space Stars extra time just has the schedule a little off.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
JoeDoakes said:
From my subsequent research, I think Mouse on the Mayflower may be owned by Classic Media, as part of its half of the Rankin Bass libarary.
Yes, that is correct. Classic Media has Mouse on the Mayflower and when asked they haven't been all that forthcoming with information or enthusiasm to get it released. I would love to have it since it is the very last Rankin and Bass holiday special that hasn't been released on DVD yet.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Mouse on the Mayflower was available on VHS eons ago (I found a copy last year while "Yard Saleing" a couple of years ago. :biggrin:

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Another one of those random Scooby two disc sets coming January 7
"Scooby-Doo - 13 Spooky Tales: Love of Snack"

A smattering of recent half hour episodes, with a good number of shorts
from 1980-81 Richie Rich Scooby Doo show, in their syndicated "scooby and Scrappy Doo"
format of 3 shorts per show. I looked up the dates on the scooby wiki, and it has
slightly different pairings for those short episodes than they are listed on the discs,
but yeah, it's more retro Scooby for the fans.

[*]Wanted Cheddar Alive - 24 September 1988 - a pup named scooby doo
[*]Night of the Living Burger - 7 October 1989 - a pup named scooby doo
[*]The Devouring - March 27, 2013 - Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
[*]Big Appetite in Little Tokyo - September 13, 2003 - What’s new Scooby Doo
[*]Scooby's Bull Fright/Stow-Aways/Long John Scrappy - Nov 29/80 Dec /80- Richie Rich/Scooby Doo (and Scrappy)
[*]Scooby Ghosts West- Dec 6/80 /Swamp Witch- Dec 13/80 /Waxworld - Dec 20/80 Richie Rich/Scooby Doo
[*]Scooby's Swiss Miss - dec 27/80 /Et Tu, Scoob? - Jan 3/81 /Soggy Bog, Scooby - Jan 3/81 Richie Rich/Scooby Doo
[*]South Seas Scare - dec 27/80 /Scooby Gumbo - jan 3/81 /Alaskan King Coward - dec 27/80 Richie Rich/Scooby Doo
[*]When the Cicada Calls - October 25, 2010 - Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
[*]Hothouse Scooby - oct 24/81 /Scooby Doo 2000 - oct 17/81 /Punk Rock Scooby - oct 17/81 Richie Rich/Scooby Doo
[*]Recipe for Disaster - March 23, 2004 What’s new Scooby Doo
[*]The Gathering Gloom -August 7, 2012 -Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
[*]The Many Faces of Evil -November 3, 2007 Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!,
[/list]

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
derosa said:
Another one of those random Scooby two disc sets coming January 7
"Scooby-Doo - 13 Spooky Tales: Love of Snack"

A smattering of recent half hour episodes, with a good number of shorts
from 1980-81 Richie Rich Scooby Doo show, in their syndicated "scooby and Scrappy Doo"
format of 3 shorts per show. I looked up the dates on the scooby wiki, and it has
slightly different pairings for those short episodes than they are listed on the discs,
but yeah, it's more retro Scooby for the fans.

[*]Wanted Cheddar Alive - 24 September 1988 - a pup named scooby doo
[*]Night of the Living Burger - 7 October 1989 - a pup named scooby doo
[*]The Devouring - March 27, 2013 - Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
[*]Big Appetite in Little Tokyo - September 13, 2003 - What’s new Scooby Doo
[*]Scooby's Bull Fright/Stow-Aways/Long John Scrappy - Nov 29/80 Dec /80- Richie Rich/Scooby Doo (and Scrappy)
[*]Scooby Ghosts West- Dec 6/80 /Swamp Witch- Dec 13/80 /Waxworld - Dec 20/80 Richie Rich/Scooby Doo
[*]Scooby's Swiss Miss - dec 27/80 /Et Tu, Scoob? - Jan 3/81 /Soggy Bog, Scooby - Jan 3/81 Richie Rich/Scooby Doo
[*]South Seas Scare - dec 27/80 /Scooby Gumbo - jan 3/81 /Alaskan King Coward - dec 27/80 Richie Rich/Scooby Doo
[*]When the Cicada Calls - October 25, 2010 - Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
[*]Hothouse Scooby - oct 24/81 /Scooby Doo 2000 - oct 17/81 /Punk Rock Scooby - oct 17/81 Richie Rich/Scooby Doo
[*]Recipe for Disaster - March 23, 2004 What’s new Scooby Doo
[*]The Gathering Gloom -August 7, 2012 -Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
[*]The Many Faces of Evil -November 3, 2007 Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!,
[/list]
Thank you very much for doing this. Shaggy and Scooby Get a Clue is a horrible show. I'd rather watch a Scrappy Doo marathon.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
JoeDoakes said:
Thank you very much for doing this. Shaggy and Scooby Get a Clue is a horrible show. I'd rather watch a Scrappy Doo marathon.
Me too, but because he wasn't THAT bad. I do think Scrappy's "legend" has been built up by the Internet. And yeah, because S&SDGAC is THAT bad.

I don't have the RR/SD set, are these shorts double dips? And nothing from the 1982 shorts?

Still wishing for '82 in its COMPLETE version so I can see the Puppy again, but since there's no demand for that series and, you know, the Scrappy thing, I doubt that will ever happen. (Plus I wonder if I am building the show's legend up cause I have not seen it since original broadcast, like I did with The New Adventures of Batman, and when I finally saw that...whoa...)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JMFabianoRPL said:
Me too, but because he wasn't THAT bad. I do think Scrappy's "legend" has been built up by the Internet. And yeah, because S&SDGAC is THAT bad.

I don't have the RR/SD set, are these shorts double dips? And nothing from the 1982 shorts?

Still wishing for '82 in its COMPLETE version so I can see the Puppy again, but since there's no demand for that series and, you know, the Scrappy thing, I doubt that will ever happen. (Plus I wonder if I am building the show's legend up cause I have not seen it since original broadcast, like I did with The New Adventures of Batman, and when I finally saw that...whoa...)
I was a hard core Scooby fan as a child. I started out with the last year of Scooby Doo, Where are you? and I faithfully watched every iteration after that, including many of the Scrappy Doo episodes. At some point, I got disgusted. Scrappy was annoying and Scooby wasn't the same character I had loved. "Scooby" walked around on two legs, and used many more words than he ever had before. As for the New Adventures of Batman, I do not think I watched it much if at all in its original run, but I think it's a really good superhero show. Not a great cartoon for adults, but Adam West and Burt Ward do great voice work, and my children really enjoy it.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
JoeDoakes said:
I was a hard core Scooby fan as a child. I started out with the last year of Scooby Doo, Where are you? and I faithfully watched every iteration after that, including many of the Scrappy Doo episodes. At some point, I got disgusted. Scrappy was annoying and Scooby wasn't the same character I had loved. "Scooby" walked around on two legs, and used many more words than he ever had before. As for the New Adventures of Batman, I do not think I watched it much if at all in its original run, but I think it's a really good superhero show. Not a great cartoon for adults, but Adam West and Burt Ward do great voice work, and my children really enjoy it.
Yeah, I got thrown off when they lost the rest of the gang and did fantasy stories, and yes, when Scoob became more anthropomorphic. But I'd watch those over Get a Clue still.

The '68 Filmation series was 100000x better than the New Adventures. From what I saw of it, they were really corny. Plus I wanted to kill Batmite, as they NEVER GAVE US A BREAK FROM HIM THUS FAR. Some He-Man eps. didn't have Orko, after all. Adam West > Olan Soule, but Burt Ward always sounded bored to me on this series. And being in the '70s meant "no fights." I dunno I will have to resume watching the NA series to see if it gets better to me.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
The Scooby news was a little disappointing but then again given the way the sets with new episodes were green lit so much earlier, this one may be as well. Since we are still waiting for Goal to show up. But again if these were marketing choices (and they probably are) then let them stall it out as long as they want to eventually get the job done.

And i think we've debunked the Scrappy thing more times then we need to. But i'm not sure what "demand" is missing. In fact the reason they are in WHV's clutches is because they still believe them to have demand enough for stores. And in worst case scenario, they'll just send them to WA, But as i have echoed the stalling is more than likely to make as much money as they can before finishing out the series sets, because once those are out then a whole bunch of money from collectors won't be going to those random sets. But given WB having little problem with mutliple release methods and the fact WA can't have them, indicates there's some plan going on there still. Hell WB even split the Popeye libary and may be splitting the Tom and Jerry one too, so that only strengthens the faith we'll eventually get them all.

Also nice to see Space Stars finally has a date. Hopefully some more releases will start coming out for the latter half of the year and distract us. But i would also hope given how fast they did the Super Friends releases the Tom and Jerry Kids ones would get moving some more. Given that series will probably get rolling before they greelight any of the others. But i did ask on facebook to see if any decision was made on T&J/Grape Ape/Mumbly yet.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JMFabianoRPL said:
Yeah, I got thrown off when they lost the rest of the gang and did fantasy stories, and yes, when Scoob became more anthropomorphic. But I'd watch those over Get a Clue still.

The '68 Filmation series was 100000x better than the New Adventures. From what I saw of it, they were really corny. Plus I wanted to kill Batmite, as they NEVER GAVE US A BREAK FROM HIM THUS FAR. Some He-Man eps. didn't have Orko, after all. Adam West > Olan Soule, but Burt Ward always sounded bored to me on this series. And being in the '70s meant "no fights." I dunno I will have to resume watching the NA series to see if it gets better to me.
Agreed on the superiority of Scrappy to Get a Clue. Batmite doesn't bother me for some reason. The 1968 series is one of my top wants. I got the sense that Warner is going back to the remaining superhero shows it has, so I am hoping it will be released before too long. As for Burt Ward, there's a great episode where Penguin develops a "crime slime" to turn Batman and Robin into criminals. Ward has a great line where he says in his best "criminal" accent, "We got places to go and crimes to commit." It's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks