What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Mark Y said:
Well, that's interesting. So which version (if either one) is the original? (I gave up and recorded these 8 plus the missing New Scooby-Doo Movies and second season Dynomutts off Boomerang, just to have them even as reference copies.)
I also taped the missing New Scooby movies and the 8 1977 Scooby episodes off Boomerang. I didn't know that they ran the second season episodes of Dynomutt. I'd love to see those. Does Bommerang still run them or are they available elsewhere?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Finally got my copy of World's Greatest Superfriends, came today.
I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago from Walmart.ca for $10, free shipping.
and it arrived on the release date :)

Now looking at all the season sets lined up in the dvd drawer, i wonder if they
will re-release the All new Superfriends hour, and Challenge of the Superfriends
in the same packaging that matches, 1,4,5,6 ? A complete series might just
bundle the same basic discs into matching 14mm boxes in a slip case.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Brian Himes said:
I also taped the missing New Scooby movies and the 8 1977 Scooby episodes off Boomerang. I didn't know that they ran the second season episodes of Dynomutt. I'd love to see those. Does Bommerang still run them or are they available elsewhere?
I don't think Boom has had Dynomutt on the schedule in awhile, but youtube may occasioannly have them. Their DVD status is that they are still in WHV's possesion that by process of elimination we think are the plans for some kind of Scooby/dynomutt season 2 release. Since otherwise WA should have the Dynomutt segments like they got the Captain Caveman segments. Dynomutt himself is not that popular, so he must be being tied to a scooby release....they may not come for many more years....or will they? XD Eiher way we're still waiting for them to run through everything we know for those scooby releases. Until then it could really go either way.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
MattPriceTime said:
Warning: It appears the Drak Pack DVD set has gone OOP. If you have one, take care of it, if you never got it, it may be harder to get now.

It doesn't appear the other HB show released by them is going OOP yet though (Dinky Dog), but it may be possibly going soon too.
Amazon says they are "Out of Stock", more coming "soon", but the prices for used ones on "The Big River" are INSANE. (The cheapest set is on Canada's "Big River" they want $71 Canadian). Glad I got my copy when I did!

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Brian Himes said:
They run them occasionally. I think I got them off the channel within the last couple years or so. But they treat each of the incarnations as a separate show. Most of the time they just run "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You" over and over. "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" gets shown in its own timeslot occsionally, and then once in a blue moon they trot out "The Scooby-Doo Show" (the Scooby segments from "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour" and Laff-A-Lympics") and "Dynomutt." The "Scooby-Doo And Scrappy-Doo" series is yet another separate package altogether. Back in the 1980s when it was all syndicated, they all ran together under the Scooby-Doo umbrella (though initially, I think Worldvision had Scrappy and Tribune Entertainment had all the rest; I seem to recall the Scrappy ones originating from 16mm while everything else was video -- and of course, there were commercial lead-in bumpers from the Saturday morning run which are probably now "lost").

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
As i atested before Boomerang isn't that in my knowledge but back when CN played all the shows they had most of the shows in a seperate function except in some where they paired them up for airing. This is honestly how i remember them growing up and why i don't really care much for the big long block formats over the seperate half hour formats.

But from what i remember:

The Scrappy years aired under the announced "Scooby and Scrappy Doo". The first series of it had complete titles. The shorts show had all the parts compiled from the Richie Rich Hour and Puppy Hour and aired with the Scooby and Scrappy Doo title edited where instead of Scrappy brining Scooby into the room with the gang, it's replaced with a shot of Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy. The bumpers made no offical distinction between the two but in Scooby blocks both usually got the time on the listing. I do have a fleating memory of some bumper calling it The Scooby and Scrappy Show from somewhere though.

The 80s verion is in that grey area for tv shows, where at a point it changed name, opening and had an alteration in concept. Where some people argue this constitutes a whole new show and others say no it's just a second/third/whatever season. But The New Scooby and Scrappy Show season aired a lot less than The New Scooby Mysteries season, but at some points it had a spot on weekday mornings, they would cycle through both in that spot, when the one ended the other one would start.

Cartoon Network also used to do this with 60s and 80s Jonny Quest, no distinction in announcement but both would cycle through and Yogi's Gang, Yogi's Space Race and Yogi's Treasure Hunt, those were announced as "Yogi Bear" and they would cycle through each of the shows back and forth till they completed and moved on to the next one.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
It's random episodes, too. Not strictly Season 1 or Season 2.

Why? It's not like WHV has had interest in anything Flintstones-related for a long time. Has WAC's output slowed down to such a crawl that this was deemed a good choice? Since this is a two-disc set anyway, why is this not a season set.

Unless WAC puts out something truly mind-blowing soon, now might be a good time to wash your hands of them for good.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Greg Chenoweth said:
THE FLINTSTONE KIDS is getting a regular retail release through Warner Home Video, not the Archive. Here's the info:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Flintstone-Kids-Rockin-in-Bedrock/19193
It's a strained release plan yes, but hardly a bad thing. If they want to break it down like that instead of a strict season sets that's fine. Besides we've still got several years worth of releases still to come as is. What's the actual break down of numbers for that show in total. Just listing it as "76" on wikipedia is clearly inaccurate where as some of those segments were paired together. If they are doing volumes of ten, how many does that stretch that show across?

And this explains the Flintstone release plan from earlier in the year that never surfaced. WHV reclaimed them. And i guess this raises the question is WHV keeping up last years standard. in 2013 we had them finish off Super Friends and do Tom and Jerry Kids season 1. Scooby sets are still running through the known in advance plans and the Smurf random sets are still only using seasons 1 and 2. Let's hope they speed up a little if they are planning to do more releases.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
TV.com and TVrage both seem to be consistant that the actual number of episodes is 34 + the just say no special. So this one's probably on a 3-4 set release plan.

And in other news due to the fact this has been announced, Scooby Doo Goal is more than likely not the companion set to Spooky Games and is probably just sports themed. So longer wait to see what they do with those. But i wonder if we'll see more Flintstone Kids and Tom and Jerry Kids set through the year.

And on the later, wiki lists it being broken down into four seasons. But "season 3" includes two years and is twice as long as the other three. I'd bet that show is on a 5 set plan. Which each year being a potential release.

And with Super Friends getting all wrapped up this year, i'd hope WHV could get at least one of the show's they are doing/"holding" done in 2014. Since at this point they've got a lot of options when you break down the separate parts. However do you all think they reclaimed the other four Flintstone shows too, or just Kids?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
However do you all think they reclaimed the other four Flintstone shows too, or just Kids?
It's impossible to say at this point. If they ever do the Flintstone comedy Show, From 1980-82I'd really hope they stick to the original format, and do the episodes in the order they aired. That one has 6 segments per show, and I would only buy sets if it has them in the proper format.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I think that one would be in full format. But the Flintstone Comedy Hour is the one we should be questioning. Giving if it's in full original format, it's going to require double the disc space to cover the Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm re-runs and new episodes that are all previously available on the Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm set.

But then it would be very odd for them to release something called "The Flintstone Comedy Hour" and each episode not be an "hour" lmao.

I admit i was a little bit more mixed last night when i got the news then i am now. I admit that WHV doesn't seem as reliable, but at least riding on the fact they finished Super Friends and finished up some of the WB Animation shows, i'd say trusting them currently is better than it was several years ago.

But at the other end of the juncture, it does make sense the Flintstones are getting another shot at retail. Since i really would say if Tiny Toons and Animaniacs were worthy of taking a shot at retail, the Flintstones franchise should be too. And if that extends to Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain, then the lesser Flintstone shows should be eligible too.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I'm still a bit surprised (and disappointed) there hasn't been any recent word on either
Goldie Gold & Action Jack or Clue Club. Those are the two highest shows on my wish list.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
They slowed down on releases in total for the year compared to last, however if you take it to consideration what WHV put out in the year it is consistent. So sadly i guess that's a price we pay.

I was kind of hoping Clue Club would be done this year but looks like that won't be the case. But a month isn't that long of time. Besides we can hit up their pages to try and gage out more clues.

And now here's a thought, since they went hush on me trying to get answers on the WHV shows that were in their control, perhaps the well received outings at the SDCC and NYCC made WB have more faith in the Hanna Barbera library and why all of a sudden WHV went from not really doing anything other than random sets and back to doing at least something? I had suspected something was brewing.

However of course the bad side is we saw what happened before with WHV, and i don't really want to go down that road again. I hope they really do keep up with what they did in 2013. Four a year plus the random money-maker sets, isn't that shabby. And WA will no doubt still be putting out plenty. If this is the new reality we face for Hanna Barbera releases...i don't think it's that bad

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
It still sucks. WAC could have knocked out Flintstones Kids in a single release.

The only silver lining is that the Just Say No special features Michael Jackson (as Michael Jackstone) and Beat It. WHV MIGHT (and that's a big might) make clearing Jackson's likeness and song more of a priority than WAC would have. But that's well down the road and a remote possibility at best.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Since we got time to kill, what show post this year are you most looking forward to getting released or finished?

For me i'll be waiting most to see Laff-a-lympics finished. But for unstarted series my next pick would be Wildfire.

How about everybody else?

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
For me, Two Stupid Dogs, Pound Puppies and the 1992 Addams Family.

The latter two have music issues (Pound Puppies of the former uses "The Twist" and Addams makes liberal use of Vic Mizzy's theme), so they're completely off WAC's radar.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
My top H-B wishlist would be:

The rest of Yogi Bear
Wally Gator Show
Banana Splits Show
Peter Potamus
Secret Squirel/Atom Ant show
Yogi's Space Race (Complete Show)

Quite a few others I would buy but those we be the top of my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks